So how long has your clutch lasted

Old September 23rd 04, 04:08 AM
lcopps

My '88 Accord clutch lasted 195,000 miles. It was slipping pretty bad
when I donated it earlier this year. But it has done well. Especially
considering I used it as an SUV for quite a while, driving through snowy
mountain roads and pulling sailboats.

Old September 23rd 04, 11:12 AM
Frank Boettcher

Default So how long has your clutch lasted

147K on a 90 accord that went through me then two teenagers in mostly
around town driving.

I replaced it preemptively as it was still holding in all gears except
1st which had a slight slip when hot. The mechanic drove it and then
asked me if I was sure I wanted it replaced. However, when he got it
out it was remarkably thin and under the replacement service
thickness. He said I couldn't have guessed at the timing any better.
He claimed if you go too long with it slipping you can warp the fly
wheel with the generated heat.

Old September 24th 04, 03:21 AM
Chip Stein

lcopps > wrote in message hlink.net>...
> My '88 Accord clutch lasted 195,000 miles. It was slipping pretty bad
> when I donated it earlier this year. But it has done well. Especially
> considering I used it as an SUV for quite a while, driving through snowy
> mountain roads and pulling sailboats.
>
> Rivergoat wrote:
> > While talking to a friend at work over the many things I've had to do
> > to my '90 Prelude over the last year (143K miles now), it was asked
> > whether I'd done a clutch. Well, no, nothing showing a sign of wear,
> > though I'm told, "...oh, that'll be next."
> >
> > So how many miles have YOU gotten out of a clutch? (I've had the 'Lude
> > since new BTW).

i put one in an s2000 with only 20k miles on it last week. some
people just can't drive a stick!
Chip
Old September 24th 04, 05:30 AM
lcopps

They must have been using it as a break pad, or poped it until it broke up.

Old September 24th 04, 12:49 PM
Terry

Rivergoat > wrote in message >. ..
> While talking to a friend at work over the many things I've had to do
> to my '90 Prelude over the last year (143K miles now), it was asked
> whether I'd done a clutch. Well, no, nothing showing a sign of wear,
> though I'm told, "...oh, that'll be next."
>
> So how many miles have YOU gotten out of a clutch? (I've had the 'Lude
> since new BTW).

I have a 1985 Toyota Celica ST that had about 100K when I bought it in
1990. A local machanic sold it to me and he had rebuilt the engine and
replaced the clutch. I put another 285K before the oddometer quit. I
drove it for another 3+ years before retiring her. The body looks like
like it has been in a war zone, but the engine, tranny and clutch are in
great shape. I have hopes of restoring the car.
The 1985 Celica ST has rear wheel drive, and I think, with little proof,
that RWD vehicals are easier on the clutch the FWD.
I drove VW bugs a lifetime ago and always got over 100K on the clutch.
The enignes always failed before the clutch. The main weaknes for air
cooled VW engines was number three cyl got hot air from the oil cooler
and this was a bad idea. My last BUG is still running, the kid I sold it
to in 1981, is no longer a kid, and still driving it. The trick was adding
an external oil cooler.
Terry
Old September 27th 04, 07:55 PM
Michael Davis

I've got a 1990 Prelude 2.0 si w/165,000 and as far as I know the
original clutch. I'm the second owner, bought it w/ 78,000 miles on
it. Having replaced a few clutches, I wouldn't and won't until it
starts slipping.

Cheers,
Mike Davis

Old September 29th 04, 01:33 AM
Pars

125k miles of extremely aggressive driving on 98 DX Hatch and the clutch
is still good. I wouldn't be surprised if can manage another 60k miles.

Pars

Old September 30th 04, 03:19 AM
Chip Stein

Pars > wrote in message >...
> 125k miles of extremely aggressive driving on 98 DX Hatch and the clutch
> is still good. I wouldn't be surprised if can manage another 60k miles.
>
> Pars
>
> Rivergoat wrote:
> >
> > While talking to a friend at work over the many things I've had to do
> > to my '90 Prelude over the last year (143K miles now), it was asked
> > whether I'd done a clutch. Well, no, nothing showing a sign of wear,
> > though I'm told, "...oh, that'll be next."
> >
> > So how many miles have YOU gotten out of a clutch? (I've had the 'Lude
> > since new BTW).

actually the s2000 clutch i did had the pressure plate side blown off,
it was an idiot doing a 5-2 shift.
Chip
Old September 30th 04, 11:13 PM
Mathu

1991 Civic HB, 147,000 miles. Still going strong, still does about 41
mpg on highway. Had to adjust the clutch cable once though............

Old October 1st 04, 11:22 PM
Pars

Chip Stein wrote:

> Pars > wrote in message >...
> > 125k miles of extremely aggressive driving on 98 DX Hatch and the clutch
> > is still good. I wouldn't be surprised if can manage another 60k miles.
> >
> > Pars
> >
> > Rivergoat wrote:
> > >
> > > While talking to a friend at work over the many things I've had to do
> > > to my '90 Prelude over the last year (143K miles now), it was asked
> > > whether I'd done a clutch. Well, no, nothing showing a sign of wear,
> > > though I'm told, "...oh, that'll be next."
> > >
> > > So how many miles have YOU gotten out of a clutch? (I've had the 'Lude
> > > since new BTW).

> actually the s2000 clutch i did had the pressure plate side blown off,
> it was an idiot doing a 5-2 shift.

Assuming the speeds are right, 5-2 shifts is a norm for my DX Tranny.
It's generaly reserved
for blasting out of a situation, in the streets, after cruising starts
to become tiresome. However,
unlike some, I make sure that the Rev's matchup before slipping it into
2nd.

Pars

> Chip

Need good clutch for '94 4Runner V6 Matt Lang 4x4 4 January 13th 05 11:40 PM
Clutch Questions Jeff Strickland BMW 5 December 14th 04 11:45 PM
Land Rover Series 3 Clutch bc 4x4 0 August 13th 04 03:36 PM