Increasing fuel mileage by injecting ether.

Old September 25th 04, 04:50 PM
Max

Ricky Spartacus wrote:
>>Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

>>Don't use yer brakes, and coast in neutral whenever you can.

> Actually the opposite. Coasting in gear shuts off the fuel
> line. Using your brakes will prevent you from creeping to
> a stop. You want to apply the brakes at a considerable
> short distance from where you want to stop.

It shuts off the fuel line in most cars, but also slows you down
something fierce!

----------------------
http://www.saab-900.tk
The Saab Tech Resource
----------------------
Old September 25th 04, 08:36 PM
Leon

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 17:34:27 -0400, "Proctologically Violated©®"

"Big Bill" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 19:04:32 -0400, "Proctologically Violated©®"
> > wrote:
>
> >When I bought my Mazda 929, the effing dealer indeed had the
> >tires at 60#--musta had my gas mileage in mind! Actually, I think it was

> >keep flat spots from forming on the tires in the show-room floor.

Something
> >to watch out for...

> The tires had nylon belts/cords?
> Modern tires don't do that.

Ahm *hopin* they were steel-belted radials! If the
60 psi
wasn't for show room flat spots, then I have no idea what the 60 psi
was
for. All four tires were 60, pretty much on the nose. Go figger.
The ride was "sporty" to say the least. But mebbe
I'll try
it again, for a few more mpg's!
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

My civic had the same 60 psi on all four tires. Called the dealer the
next day to complain. They said they forgot to check the tires and
that they were inflated to 60 for transportation. Chains that secure
the wheels on the truck are used and the tires must not flex.

Still max pressure is 44 psi, right on the tire.

Bye,
Leon
Old September 25th 04, 09:07 PM
SoCalMike

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>>Using 'fresh' air, oxygen slowly diffuses through the rubber and the
>>tyre pressure goes down hence causing adverse mileage figures.
>>

> And the sad fact is that there's going to be people who actually buy this.

air has to go somewhere. ive got a road bike that runs 130psi tires, and
they need topping off twice a week. so its either diffusing thru the
rubber, or thru a leak in the valve stem or something.
Old September 26th 04, 07:03 AM
Ricky Spartacus

>Max > wrote
>> Ricky Spartacus wrote:
> >>Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

> >>Don't use yer brakes, and coast in neutral whenever you can.

> > Actually the opposite. Coasting in gear shuts off the fuel
> > line. Using your brakes will prevent you from creeping to
> > a stop. You want to apply the brakes at a considerable
> > short distance from where you want to stop.

> It shuts off the fuel line in most cars, but also slows you down
> something fierce!

Most, if not all new practical cars have shut off. At 40 mpg you save
about 0.00625 gallon when decelerating from 75 mph. A drop in the
bucket but going in neutral waste throw bearing, brakes pads on a
decline or just ruins engine mounts for everyday driving.

A rule of thumb: speed up briskly but gently, stay in gear, and slow
down (fiercely) using engine braking then brake to stop.

Rick
Old September 26th 04, 08:35 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"SoCalMike" > wrote in message
> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> >>Using 'fresh' air, oxygen slowly diffuses through the rubber and the
> >>tyre pressure goes down hence causing adverse mileage figures.
> >>

> > And the sad fact is that there's going to be people who actually buy

this.

> air has to go somewhere. ive got a road bike that runs 130psi tires, and
> they need topping off twice a week. so its either diffusing thru the
> rubber, or thru a leak in the valve stem or something.

No, what the sad part is, is that people are going to believe that 100%
nitrogen diffuses through the tire at a slower rate than plain old air that
a compressor sucks out of the atmosphere.

Plain old air is 78% nitrogen.

Ted

Old September 26th 04, 08:54 AM
SoCalMike

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> "SoCalMike" > wrote in message

>>>And the sad fact is that there's going to be people who actually buy

> this.
>
>>air has to go somewhere. ive got a road bike that runs 130psi tires, and
>>they need topping off twice a week. so its either diffusing thru the
>>rubber, or thru a leak in the valve stem or something.

> No, what the sad part is, is that people are going to believe that 100%
> nitrogen diffuses through the tire at a slower rate than plain old air that
> a compressor sucks out of the atmosphere.
>
> Plain old air is 78% nitrogen.

ok then... so why nitrogen? or why not?

are nitrogen molecules bigger than oxygen molecules?
would that make a difference?
why do shock absorbers use a nitrogen charge?
wouldnt a charge of regular air work 78% as well?

all my tires have plain old air in em. if given a choice between the
two, for no extra charge, why not choose nitrogen?
Old September 26th 04, 12:40 PM
Graham W

"Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote in message

> "SoCalMike" > wrote in message
> > Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> > >>

> > > And the sad fact is that there's going to be people who actually buy

> this.
> >
> > air has to go somewhere. ive got a road bike that runs 130psi tires,

and
> > they need topping off twice a week. so its either diffusing thru the
> > rubber, or thru a leak in the valve stem or something.

> No, what the sad part is, is that people are going to believe that 100%
> nitrogen diffuses through the tire at a slower rate than plain old air

that
> a compressor sucks out of the atmosphere.
>
> Plain old air is 78% nitrogen.

You are the first person to mention nitrogen diffusion! It's oxygen that I
said diffuses out.

And I have corrected your attributions as well.

Old September 26th 04, 02:38 PM
Harry K

Max > wrote in message >...
> Ricky Spartacus wrote:
> >>Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

> >>Don't use yer brakes, and coast in neutral whenever you can.

> > Actually the opposite. Coasting in gear shuts off the fuel
> > line. Using your brakes will prevent you from creeping to
> > a stop. You want to apply the brakes at a considerable
> > short distance from where you want to stop.

> It shuts off the fuel line in most cars, but also slows you down
> something fierce!
>

> ----------------------
> http://www.saab-900.tk
> The Saab Tech Resource
> ----------------------

Depending on the tranny. If you are in a slushy in OD there is hardly
any engine braking.

Harry K
Old September 26th 04, 07:39 PM
Rodney

(Ricky Spartacus) wrote in
om:

> This Nitrogen Tire Inflator ($5899.99) claims to also boost fuel
> economy. Not sure how it works but check it out at

http://tinyurl.com/6zr8h from northerntool.com.

I once read an article where Jay Leno talks about these. He said that
racers use Nitrogen because it doesn't have as much pressure variance as
the tire heats up, which makes "set it and forget it" possible. Otherwise
the tire might pop like John Kerry's hopes for the presidency.

You'd have to be some kind of flaming idiot to buy one of these for a Honda
Civic though.

Can't post, will feed the troll. . . Can't post, will feed the troll. . .
Rodney
Old September 26th 04, 07:49 PM
Rodney

"Burt Squareman" > wrote in

> Several years ago I've read a book on how to inject ether in
> low amounts into the carburetor to increase gas mileages.
> I'd been wanting to add ether or some octane booster into
> the fuel tank and adjust the inputs into the O2 sensor to
> trick it to thinking that it's running rich. In theory, I may save
> gas. What others tricks would you might attempt on your
> car?

It might reduce your gas consumption, but I've heard it causes a sharp
spike in your ether consumption. Still, it is handy to have a supply of
ether available. In case you want to huff it. Or a lawnmower needs
starting.

If you want more power, just dump a bucket of gas into your throttle body.
This creates a super-rich mixture which is good for some reason. I
frequently bounce off the wheelie bars in my '95 TC using this approach.

90 spirit won't run Faulguys Chrysler 80 December 9th 04 11:41 PM
Magnum RT Fuel Mileage Dan Dodge 48 October 30th 04 02:47 PM
76 Difficult Cold Starts daveo76 Corvette 22 September 9th 04 12:54 AM