any good VW mechanics in NYC area?

Old December 29th 04, 04:57 PM
jli

Default any good VW mechanics in NYC area?

Hi,

Does anyone know of any good, honest, independent mechanics or shops
that specializes in VWs located in the NYC area? My 2000 Passat is
behind on it's recommended 40K service (tune-up, oil change, check
belts, etc). The dealers I called all want $400 or so for this
service, which I think is outrageous; plus I just don't trust these
guys. I would like to find an independent shop that could do this
service at hopefully a lower price.

Do you think any old auto repair shop can do this type of work, e.g.
midas, etc.? Is it even necessary to have a mechanic that is familiar
with VWs to do this work?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Jon

Old December 29th 04, 06:41 PM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, jli wrote:

>Does anyone know of any good, honest, independent mechanics or shops
>that specializes in VWs located in the NYC area? My 2000 Passat is
>behind on it's recommended 40K service (tune-up, oil change, check
>belts, etc). The dealers I called all want $400 or so for this
>service, which I think is outrageous; plus I just don't trust these
>guys. I would like to find an independent shop that could do this
>service at hopefully a lower price.
>
>Do you think any old auto repair shop can do this type of work, e.g.
>midas, etc.? Is it even necessary to have a mechanic that is familiar
>with VWs to do this work?

I would not trust Midas etc to properly change the brake fluid.

Some won't even think about it.

Some will just top up the reservoirs with DOT 3. (wrong stuff even)

If you are shopping for such a mechanic, I would think that is the
area that you will more likely be shortchanged on than others. If
you read up on that, you might use that as a vetting question.

This is not to say that there are not some independent shops who are
knowledgeable and reliable.

Old December 29th 04, 06:41 PM
Tom's VR6

Old December 29th 04, 06:48 PM
Lost In Space

$400 is a fare price for the $40k service. Just figure 2 - 2.5 hours labor
and the rest is parts. Quote:"old auto repair shop"... now you're asking for
problems!

oups.com...

Old December 29th 04, 06:48 PM
Lost In Space

$400 is a fare price for the $40k service. Just figure 2 - 2.5 hours labor
and the rest is parts. Quote:"old auto repair shop"... now you're asking for
problems!

oups.com...