Need Help Locating a Part for My Jeep

Old July 21st 05, 09:00 PM
Dereck L. Dietz

Default Need Help Locating a Part for My Jeep

I have a 1992 Jeep Wrangler with a 15-gallon gas tank. I've had the jeep in
a garage due to a leaking fuel line and they also told me my Fuel Tank Skid
Plate needs replacing as it's rusting through but they cannot find a
replacement and have been told that part is no longer made.

I even tried calling up Quadratec since their Spring 2005 catalog had what I
needed but even they told me the part was discontinued.

Does anybody know where I could check to possibly locate what I need?

Old July 21st 05, 09:22 PM
Steve Foley

I ordered a replacement skid plate for my 87 YJ from rubicon4x4.com.

What the shipped me was a skid plate cover. My mechanic told me this after
he had spend a few hours cutting it to fit.

If you order from them, get a live person and make sure what you get is a
replacement plate, not a cover.

Old July 21st 05, 09:43 PM
Earle Horton

If you have to, you could get a replacement fabricated locally. It is
nothing more nor less than a big piece of sheet metal. A recycling yard
would probably have a serviceable part too. These guys are good.
http://www.gemini-sales.com/ If you live in the rust belt, which it sounds
like you might, avoid rust belt recycling yards.

By the way, the 15-gallon tank is actually a 20-gallon tank, with a longer
vent tube that prevents complete fill up. It is easily removed.

Earle

Old July 21st 05, 10:19 PM
Rusted

Explain this a little more

"By the way, the 15-gallon tank is actually a 20-gallon tank, with a longer
vent tube that prevents complete fill up. It is easily removed"

Isn't the 15 gallon tank narrower than the 20? Seems like when you look at
the rear of the jeep you can see that the 15 gallon tank has a few inches of
extra room on the sides than the 20. Am I missing something here?

news:1121978413.96c49208b2f147d8937046f56f3fcba8@t eranews...

Old July 21st 05, 11:40 PM
Dave Milne

Same tank, different insert.

http://www.dorianjepsen.com/wrangler/gastank/index.php

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ
. ..

Old July 22nd 05, 12:44 AM
Billy Ray

If the mounting brackets and tabs are still sound you can take it over to
your corner welding shop and have Elmer just weld another 3/16 inch (or
heavier) piece of traction plate over the existing one.

If the mounts have advanced body cancer Elmer can use the old one as a
template for repair.

Before you re-install it give it a good coating of rust inhibiting paint.
The best source for advise and materials is a real paint shop, not the paint
department at Home Depot or Lowes. Tell the guy what you intend the paint
for and he will get you the right stuff and you might be surprised how
affordable it is.

I went to Cincinnati Color yesterday to ask about painting aluminum running
boards and got advise from the "new" guy. (He has only been there 12 years)
He told me how to do the preparation and the materials would be $6.95/quart
and they would custom tint the color to match the body cladding or the body
paint at no charge.

FWIW they recommended Kentucky Coatings Rust-Nox II (direct to metal)

Old July 22nd 05, 03:24 PM
Greg

Don't know where they are looking for that skid plate, but I phoned my
local chrysler dealer, he didn't have one but phoned another dealer for me,
in stock on the shelf, and this was for an 81 CJ7. $ 150.00 Canadian, about
$115.00 US last year.