Thermostat -- Caravan

Old October 26th 04, 01:08 AM
BeeP

Default Thermostat -- Caravan

Need new thermostat for 86 caravan 2.6 L Mitz. About 50Kmiles on the
motor. New England.
They come in different temp ranges 160, 180, 195 degrees -- what is
the best one to get ?
TIA
Bob
Caravan/Voyager

---

Old October 26th 04, 01:17 AM
PC Medic

"BeeP" > wrote in message
> Need new thermostat for 86 caravan 2.6 L Mitz. About 50Kmiles on the
> motor. New England.
> They come in different temp ranges 160, 180, 195 degrees -- what is
> the best one to get ?
> TIA
> Bob
> Caravan/Voyager

I have had two of these and always ran the 180 degree. This was in upstate
New York and provided plenty of heat in the bitter cold winter driving.

Old October 26th 04, 01:17 AM
PC Medic

Old October 26th 04, 01:56 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, BeeP wrote:

> Need new thermostat for 86 caravan 2.6 L Mitz. About 50Kmiles on the
> motor. New England. They come in different temp ranges 160, 180, 195
> degrees -- what is the best one to get ? TIA Bob

195 is the correct rating. A colder thermostat will increase emissions,
hasten oil contamination and reduce fuel economy.
Old October 26th 04, 01:56 AM
Daniel J. Stern

Old October 27th 04, 03:19 AM
PC Medic

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, BeeP wrote:
>
>> Need new thermostat for 86 caravan 2.6 L Mitz. About 50Kmiles on the
>> motor. New England. They come in different temp ranges 160, 180, 195
>> degrees -- what is the best one to get ? TIA Bob

> 195 is the correct rating. A colder thermostat will increase emissions,
> hasten oil contamination and reduce fuel economy.

Both of our early Caravans (86 & 87) came with and always replaced with 180
and never had any problems.
In fact the dealer one time when questioned about a little better heat if I
switched to a 195 recommended against it in the 2.6 Mitsubishi's due to
their head warping problems (something else I personally never had issue
with).
Never had problem with oil contamination or fuel economy. Can't speak on
emissions as at the time was in upstate NY where testing is not required.

Old October 27th 04, 03:19 AM
PC Medic

Old October 28th 04, 06:54 AM
BeeP

Thanks. DS, when you talk about fuel economy, are you referring to
the coolant-temperature-controlled auto choke on the carb? As you
probably know, if the coolant does not heat up, the Mikuni carb on the
Mitz 2.6 continues to run on full choke, which kills any chance of
fuel economy. OR, are you referring to higher temps being generally
more beneficial to combustion and overall engine performance? Or
both.
Fill me in, thanks.
BTW, Autozone web site lists 180 as OEM temp. Do temp requirements
increase with age?
TIA
Bob

Old October 28th 04, 06:54 AM
BeeP

Old October 28th 04, 02:56 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, BeeP wrote:

> Thanks. DS, when you talk about fuel economy, are you referring to
> the coolant-temperature-controlled auto choke on the carb? As you
> probably know, if the coolant does not heat up, the Mikuni carb on the
> Mitz 2.6 continues to run on full choke, which kills any chance of
> fuel economy. OR, are you referring to higher temps being generally
> more beneficial to combustion

Both.

> BTW, Autozone web site lists 180 as OEM temp. Do temp requirements
> increase with age?

No, and I may have been incorrect, but you need to check FACTORY
literature rather than depending on the error-riddled catalogues at
Autobone.

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan LE AC/Heater Blower, Relay and Resistor Block Problems 101 HeadlessHorseman Dodge 0 January 5th 05 03:49 PM
Need help to replace thermostat on 1993 325i sedan Lyle_s BMW 7 December 31st 04 11:30 AM
e34 530 thermostat mojo BMW 5 October 3rd 04 09:20 PM
Caravan Transmission Issues Doug Dodge 1 April 29th 04 10:22 PM