Pigs harassing innocent motorists again...

Old December 17th 04, 08:12 AM
Cory Dunkle

Default Pigs harassing innocent motorists again...

Saw this yesterday on Rt. 70 in NJ. I am cruising along in the middle lane,
passing traffic to my right. I approach a cop in right lane. First the cop
tries cutting me off by attempting to pull out in front of me when there is
no room for him to do so, without even suing a turn signal of course. Cop
decides that's a bad idea halfway into my lane as he realizes I'm not gonna
slow down on account of him when I'm already halfway past him.

After I pass him the cop pulls out behind me, then isn't satisfied with the
speed I'm going, so tailgates me a bit. I don't go any faster, just maintain
my speed passing traffic in the right lane, all the while keeping my eye on
a LLB in the passing lane to my left. Timing couldn't be better... Cop
finally decides to pass me using the passing lane (duh!) only to find a LLB
in the lane, traveling slower than me. Seeing a gap between the back of the
LLB and the front of my car the cop decides to try to go for it. I maintain
my cruising speed, still passing traffic to my right, and close up that gap.
The cop tried to force his way in, but again, I didn't slow down on account
of him.

The cop then settled in to a safe following distance behind the LLB. The
right lane merged into the middle lane to form one lane ahead and that
caused a little slowdown in the middle lane (the lane I was in). The result
was me driving alongside the cop at his speed for a little while. The cop
then decides to tailgate the LLB, within about 3-4 feet of his bumper (doing
50 MPH or so). Cop would back off a little to maybe 6 feet and then close it
up to a couple feet again. Finally up ahead a light turns yellow. Guy in
front of me decides to pass through even though he had plenty more than
enough room to comfortably stop. The LLB enters the intersection as the
light turns red, and the cop follows him through a couple feet off his
bumper. I stop at the light and observe the cop tailgate the LLB until I can
no longer see them.

<sarcasm> Way to go pigs, thanks for keeping our roads safe. *thumbs up*
</sarcasm>

Cory

Old December 17th 04, 02:09 PM
N8N

Cory Dunkle wrote:
> [...]

cop
> then decides to tailgate the LLB, within about 3-4 feet of his bumper

(doing
> 50 MPH or so). Cop would back off a little to maybe 6 feet and then

close it
> up to a couple feet again. Finally up ahead a light turns yellow. Guy

in
> front of me decides to pass through even though he had plenty more

than
> enough room to comfortably stop. The LLB enters the intersection as

the
> light turns red, and the cop follows him through a couple feet off

his
> bumper. I stop at the light and observe the cop tailgate the LLB

until I can
> no longer see them.
>
> <sarcasm> Way to go pigs, thanks for keeping our roads safe. *thumbs

Why didn't the cop just pull over the LLB and ticket him? That sounds
like the logical thing to do.

nate

Old December 17th 04, 02:09 PM
N8N

Old December 17th 04, 02:41 PM

On 17 Dec 2004 05:09:22 -0800, "N8N" > wrote:

> [...]

>close it
>> up to a couple feet again. Finally up ahead a light turns yellow. Guy

>in
>> front of me decides to pass through even though he had plenty more

>than
>> enough room to comfortably stop. The LLB enters the intersection as

>the
>> light turns red, and the cop follows him through a couple feet off

>his
>> bumper. I stop at the light and observe the cop tailgate the LLB

>until I can
>> no longer see them.
>>
>> <sarcasm> Way to go pigs, thanks for keeping our roads safe. *thumbs

>up*
>> </sarcasm>
>>
>> Cory

>Why didn't the cop just pull over the LLB and ticket him? That sounds

Might have been lunch-time and he was already late for his meal.

just a guess,

tom @ www.URLBee.com

Old December 17th 04, 02:41 PM

Old December 17th 04, 03:08 PM
Furious George

N8N wrote:
> [...]

> > up to a couple feet again. Finally up ahead a light turns yellow.

Guy
> in
> > front of me decides to pass through even though he had plenty more

> than
> > enough room to comfortably stop. The LLB enters the intersection as

> the
> > light turns red, and the cop follows him through a couple feet off

> his
> > bumper. I stop at the light and observe the cop tailgate the LLB

> until I can
> > no longer see them.
> >
> > <sarcasm> Way to go pigs, thanks for keeping our roads safe.

*thumbs
> up*
> > </sarcasm>
> >
> > Cory

> Why didn't the cop just pull over the LLB and ticket him? That

Yeah right, moron. And while we're at it, the cop should have written
himself a ticket for tailgating, reckless driving, and probably a whole
bunch of other things. But it ain't gonna happen.
Just as long as no one was speeding, everything is OK.

Old December 17th 04, 03:08 PM
Furious George

Old December 17th 04, 03:40 PM
Dave C.

> Why didn't the cop just pull over the LLB and ticket him? That sounds
> like the logical thing to do.
>
> nate

You can break any law you want to behind the wheel, as long as you don't
speed while you are doing it. -Dave

Old December 17th 04, 03:40 PM
Dave C.

Old December 17th 04, 03:55 PM
N8N

Furious George wrote:
> N8N wrote:
> > Why didn't the cop just pull over the LLB and ticket him? That

> sounds
> > like the logical thing to do.
> >
> > nate

> Yeah right, moron. And while we're at it, the cop should have

written
> himself a ticket for tailgating, reckless driving, and probably a

whole
> bunch of other things. But it ain't gonna happen.
> Just as long as no one was speeding, everything is OK.

Even if you accept Jaybird's premise that breaking traffic laws is OK
for a cop, he still had one solid violation (LLB) and one possible
(entering an intersection "as the light turns red") on the LLB car so
why isn't he enforcing the law? i.e. if breaking traffic laws is
necessary "for the performance of his duties" (nominally, enforcing the
law) why isn't he performing his duties?

But of course, the cop apologists will come up with all sorts of
theoretically possible but highly improbable scenarios as to why such
behavior is perfectly reasonable and acceptable. If it were clear to
the average motorist that the cops really had the best interest of the
public at heart (i.e. letting the bad drivers know that their behavior
is unacceptable) we might be a little more understanding when we see
cops driving in an, um, "aggressive" manner.

nate