Low gas mileage for 1998 Accord

Old September 26th 04, 08:48 PM
jbourgeois

Default Low gas mileage for 1998 Accord

I have a 1998 Accord with 117k. It gets 22 mpg in town and 32 highway.
Recently I had an evaporation system repair: the 2-way valve and canister
were replaced.

Any thoughts on why the gas mileage is so low?

Also, the engine "bucks" occasionally; in other words as I am driving
forward it almost halts for a second and then zooms forward again. Not sure
if this problem is related, but any advice on that would be welcome too.

Old September 27th 04, 01:16 AM
motsco_ _

jbourgeois wrote:
> I have a 1998 Accord with 117k. It gets 22 mpg in town and 32 highway.
> Recently I had an evaporation system repair: the 2-way valve and canister
> were replaced.
>
> Any thoughts on why the gas mileage is so low?
>
> Also, the engine "bucks" occasionally; in other words as I am driving
> forward it almost halts for a second and then zooms forward again. Not sure
> if this problem is related, but any advice on that would be welcome too.

============================
J,

What does your manual say about valve adjustments, and have you changed
the PCV valve? Does it 'buck' when the engine is warming up, or hot, and
have you had your timing belt done recently?

Tried using gasohol for a while?

'Curly'

Old September 27th 04, 03:02 AM
Steve Bigelow

"jbourgeois" > wrote in message
>I have a 1998 Accord with 117k. It gets 22 mpg in town and 32 highway.

Why do you think this is low?

Old September 27th 04, 09:38 AM
Pete

"Steve Bigelow" wrote

> >I have a 1998 Accord with 117k. It gets 22 mpg in town and 32 highway.

> Why do you think this is low?

Yeah, really. Considering the official figures are 23/30 for auto and 25/31
for manual, his figures are right on, taking driving habits into account.

> > Any thoughts on why the gas mileage is so low?

When was the last time you replaced your air filter and your spark plugs?

Regards,

Pete

Old September 27th 04, 11:53 AM
Rattus the RAT

32 mpg, "so low"? That's pretty damn good if you ask me!

RAT

Old September 28th 04, 02:37 AM
jbourgeois

I guess I thought that Hondas were supposed to have higher gas mileage, but
I guess mine is normal.

The air filter is known to be dirty, and I haven't changed the spark plugs.
I just got the car three weeks ago, so I don't know if the timing belt has
been changed. I haven't had a compression test either, perhaps this would
help evaluate the condition of the valves?

The engine bucks when hot, as I'm driving along (sometimes at low speeds and
sometimes on the highway, even with cruise control on).

Old September 28th 04, 05:21 AM
Timothy J. Lee

In article <n2F5d.30249$He1.7211@attbi_s01>,
jbourgeois > wrote:
>I have a 1998 Accord with 117k. It gets 22 mpg in town and 32 highway.
>
>Any thoughts on why the gas mileage is so low?

Did fuel economy change recently for the same driver on the same roads?

Timothy J. Lee
Old October 9th 04, 01:01 AM
Don Enderton

Which engine do you have, the 4 cylinder or the 6 cylinder?

It makes a difference.

- Don

newsf36d.271143$mD.266731@attbi_s02...