Why do vents default to outside air?

Old September 22nd 04, 05:51 AM
Jeff

Default Why do vents default to outside air?

Just wondering--whenever I use the AC, my Accord keeps defaulting to
outside air (as do most newer vehicles, I've noticed). I drive mostly
in traffic and don't like to breathe exhaust fumes filling the car, so
I'm continually resetting it to recirc. But I'm curious as to why
outside air is the default setting. (?)

2000 Accord v6 sedan

Jeff
Old September 22nd 04, 07:58 AM
Sparky

Jeff wrote:

> Just wondering--whenever I use the AC, my Accord keeps defaulting to
> outside air (as do most newer vehicles, I've noticed). I drive mostly
> in traffic and don't like to breathe exhaust fumes filling the car, so
> I'm continually resetting it to recirc. But I'm curious as to why
> outside air is the default setting. (?)

Honda flipped a coin, maybe?
Old September 22nd 04, 11:18 AM
rjdriver

"Jeff" > wrote in message
> Just wondering--whenever I use the AC, my Accord keeps defaulting to
> outside air (as do most newer vehicles, I've noticed). I drive mostly
> in traffic and don't like to breathe exhaust fumes filling the car, so
> I'm continually resetting it to recirc. But I'm curious as to why
> outside air is the default setting. (?)
>
> 2000 Accord v6 sedan
>
> Jeff

Probably the same reason many other car manufactures do, so that can
have that ridiculouly labelled "Max Air" button, which merely changes the
air flow from outside to recirculate, and makes people think they have two
levels of air conditioning power.

Bob

---

Old September 22nd 04, 02:40 PM
Brian Smith

"E. Meyer" > wrote in message

> The AC uses a "just enough and no more" sort of logic. When it decides it
> can't achieve the temperature you asked it for, then it opens the recirc
> door. If you have the AC where you select a temperature, set it to 60
> degrees (F) and the recirc light will come on immediately (unless the
> outside temperature is 40).

That's interesting. Perhaps you should have your vehicle's system checked
for a problem. My A/C does nothing, unless I tell (push a button) it to
perform a task.

--
Brian

http://www.cakesbydarlene.ca

http://www.accesswave.ca/~orion

Old September 22nd 04, 02:56 PM
George Kinley

Jeff wrote:

> Just wondering--whenever I use the AC, my Accord keeps defaulting to
> outside air (as do most newer vehicles, I've noticed). I drive
> mostly in traffic and don't like to breathe exhaust fumes filling the
> car, so I'm continually resetting it to recirc. But I'm curious as to
> why outside air is the default setting. (?)
>
> 2000 Accord v6 sedan
>
> Jeff

I have 99 Accord, European Model With Automatic AC, when I use it on
Full AUTO , the outside Air vent is closed, which make sense, on
Manual I presume every setting should me manual.
Few months back I was in LA , where I drive Toyota Camry , in which
outside air vent was independent of using AC
Old September 22nd 04, 04:00 PM
Rob

Sparky > wrote in message >...
> Jeff wrote:
>
> > Just wondering--whenever I use the AC, my Accord keeps defaulting to
> > outside air (as do most newer vehicles, I've noticed). I drive mostly
> > in traffic and don't like to breathe exhaust fumes filling the car, so
> > I'm continually resetting it to recirc. But I'm curious as to why
> > outside air is the default setting. (?)

> Honda flipped a coin, maybe?

Because once the inside air has been dehumidified through the process
of a/c, the a/c will struggle to cool that air again.

recirc works great to cool a steamy car initially, because it is not
only throwing cold air at you, but is taking away the hot inside air.
but once the car has cooled you want to switch back to outside air
(unless a situation like behind a bus, etc., as you mention).

also windshield will fog up in certain conditions when using recirc.

rob
Old September 22nd 04, 04:25 PM
Howard Lester

"Rob" wrote

> recirc works great to cool a steamy car initially, because it is not
> only throwing cold air at you, but is taking away the hot inside air.
> but once the car has cooled you want to switch back to outside air
> (unless a situation like behind a bus, etc., as you mention).

This is all backwards to me, unless it's because I live in a hot, dry
climate. When first getting into the car, the temperature inside the car can
be 40 degrees hotter than outside; therefore, here one first needs to use
fresh a/c. Once the interior starts to cool off, *then* switch to
recirculate. The a/c won't have to work so hard, cooling air that is already
temperate, not at inferno-grade.

Old September 22nd 04, 04:39 PM
MLD

Might be a function of the climate control temperature setting. Put the
temperature at minimum (60) and see if the recirc light comes on. I have a
2000 Accord V6 and that's what happens.
MLD