Iron or Alluminium head

Old August 12th 04, 03:45 PM
Black Bomb

Default Iron or Alluminium head

Hi

What year was it when GM switched from Iron to Alluminium heads in the
middle of the production. I think it was in 86. My buddy keeps telling me
that his 89 has Cast Iron & his 91 ZR1 has alluminium heads. I'm sure my 89
has alluminium heads.

Thanks

Dan

Old August 12th 04, 05:48 PM
Bob G.

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 10:45:35 -0400, "Black Bomb"
> wrote:

>Hi
>
>What year was it when GM switched from Iron to Alluminium heads in the
>middle of the production. I think it was in 86. My buddy keeps telling me
>that his 89 has Cast Iron & his 91 ZR1 has alluminium heads. I'm sure my 89
>has alluminium heads.
>
>Thanks
>
>Dan
>\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

You are correct....

ALL Convertibles had aluminium heads...

But the early coupes had iron heads... later coupes
all came with aluminum

Bob Griffiths
Old August 13th 04, 04:28 AM
X-Eliminator

How do you:

1. spell Google
2. do research in www.corvetteforum.com
3. do research in www.corvettefactioncenter.com

So Dan i guess you are still living vicariously thru your friend's
ZR1.
Can't you get a life other than in this newsgroup?

Old August 13th 04, 04:41 AM
Diode

Bob G. spoke thusly...

> ALL Convertibles had aluminium heads...

WTF? Why would GM decide on heads by body type?? Let me
guess...because the verts were heavier than the coupes, GM used the
slightly lighter aluminum head motors in them to take a little weight
back off?

--
-|>|- Diode -|<|-
'68 L-79 Coupe
Old August 13th 04, 12:55 PM
Black Bomb

That juice only lasted you about a week. I'll have to send you some
more....I'll address it to the Cereal Box mechanic HAHA. Go ahead and let
people glue a fuel pressure gauge on their windshield so that they can run
over MONKEYS like you...HAHA!!!!!!

Old August 13th 04, 12:56 PM
Black Bomb

Thanks Guys,,,

Have a nice weekend....

Dan
89 Coupe Blk on Blk

et...

Old August 13th 04, 01:01 PM
Bob G.

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 03:41:34 GMT, Diode >
wrote:

>Bob G. spoke thusly...
>
>> ALL Convertibles had aluminium heads...
>>

>WTF? Why would GM decide on heads by body type?? Let me
>guess...because the verts were heavier than the coupes, GM used the
>slightly lighter aluminum head motors in them to take a little weight
>back off?

=========================
Maybe because the Federal Government or some other "wonderful"
agency though convertibles were rather unsafe they (the rag tops)
completely disappeared from 1976 thru 1985...(I honestly do not
remember why...

Anyhow...

The convertible returned to production in 1986 and Not a single one
was produced EARLY in the model year... By the time the 1st
convertible came off the line the aluminum heads were being used on
all Corvettes thus all convertibles got a few more Hp and aluminum
heads and the late production coupes got them also...

Bob Griffiths

Old August 13th 04, 02:54 PM
Black Bomb

Thanks Bob,,

It's nice to know that I had a very good idea about what I asked. Someone
here acts like a know it all, but yet lives off google & Die Cast 90 Vettes
for searches. That's what I call a Cereal Box mechanic.....

Cheers,,,to a great weekend....

Dan

Old August 13th 04, 03:02 PM
X-Eliminator

Crawl back under your rock.

Shut-up Dan - buy a factory service manual & a tape measuer.

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 07:56:38 -0400, "Black Bomb"
> wrote:

>Thanks Guys,,,
>
>Have a nice weekend....
>
>Dan
>89 Coupe Blk on Blk

. net...

Old August 13th 04, 04:28 PM
CardsFan

"Black Bomb" > wrote in message
> That juice only lasted you about a week. I'll have to send you some
> more....I'll address it to the Cereal Box mechanic HAHA. Go ahead and let
> people glue a fuel pressure gauge on their windshield so that they can run
> over MONKEYS like you...HAHA!!!!!!

Why don't you just kill-file him, like I did? Or at least don't reply to
the taunts? It's pointless.

AJM
'93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp