Doors - on or off??

Old May 9th 05, 03:28 PM

Default Doors - on or off??

i'm confused.

all the instructions for my wrangler unlimited refer to removal of the
doors (and folding the windshield down) being for "off-road only".
having spent 14 years in the army, i fully support the windshield
warning. i can tell you with some degree of authority that a little
stone can leave a big mark even when your only going 35 or 40. if it
can chip your windshield, it can damn sure put a hurt on your forehead.

but as i cruised around yesterday, feeling quite sporty with the
sunrider roof open, i saw at least 6 wranglers with the doors off.

is a middle aged, overweight, grey-haired guy allowed to do this also,
or is this something reserved for the young and immortal??

martin caskey
millers island, maryland

Old May 9th 05, 03:38 PM
Patrick Ô¿Ô

It is something to be done at your own risk. That being said, my top and
doors are off, and have been since Saturday due to the great weather we are
having. Have to work tomorrow, plus rain in the forcast so they will be
going back on.

In most states it is legal to have doors off if you have a rear view mirror,
most states say you must have 1 rear facing mirror, and don't specify where
it must be located.

Patrick

oups.com...

Old May 9th 05, 05:08 PM
griffin

I see no difference between driving with the doors off and driving with the
windows rolled down on any other vehicle. The first day I pulled the top and
doors off my '88 YJ and cruised on the highway I got hit on the cheek with a
stone from a passing semi. Hurt like hell but have been without incident
since then, including many offroad adventures with no top/doors as well as
driving 60-80km in the city with no windshield. It's a risk ...but it's one
reason I bought the Jeep.

oups.com...

Old May 9th 05, 05:34 PM
Dallas Kincaid

Hell yeah! Take the doors off! I love having mine off!

However, a couple warnings:

1 - Be prepared for about 10 times more wind circulating through the
jeep. Anything not securely stowed will be on the pavement.

2 - I would recommend getting some sport handles so you have something
to grab on when taking turns. Anyone who rides with you will likely
freak out as well.

But, I don't think you are really doing your jeep justice unless you
have the doors off.

On 9 May 2005 07:28:51 -0700, "

Old May 9th 05, 06:38 PM
Jeff Strickland

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> i'm confused.
>
> all the instructions for my wrangler unlimited refer to removal of the
> doors (and folding the windshield down) being for "off-road only".
> having spent 14 years in the army, i fully support the windshield
> warning. i can tell you with some degree of authority that a little
> stone can leave a big mark even when your only going 35 or 40. if it
> can chip your windshield, it can damn sure put a hurt on your forehead.
>
> but as i cruised around yesterday, feeling quite sporty with the
> sunrider roof open, i saw at least 6 wranglers with the doors off.
>
> is a middle aged, overweight, grey-haired guy allowed to do this also,
> or is this something reserved for the young and immortal??

As a middle aged, plus a few, gray haired -- what's left of it -- and
overweight (by practically every measure) man, I can attest that it is
perfectly OK that you take the doors off and drive around. You need to be
sure your skirt doesn't fly up, and the constables will want you to take the
mirrors off of the doors -- at lease the driver side door -- and put it on
the base of the windshield. You can find a product called a mirror mover
that screws onto the windshield hinge and lets you then mount the factory
mirror. An alternative that some like to use is to get a mirror from a
motorcycle or bicycle and mount it to the door hinge hole.

Old May 10th 05, 02:47 AM
jbjeep

>>As a middle aged, plus a few, gray haired -- what's left of it -- and
>>overweight (by practically every measure) man, I can attest that it is
>>perfectly OK that you take the doors off and drive around. You need to be
>>sure your skirt doesn't fly up, and the constables will want you to take the

Or if it does, that you have something more than a thong on.

http://www.sunperformance.com/mirror_bracket.htm

Old May 10th 05, 02:48 AM
jbjeep

Take em off!!!

TAKE EM OFF!!!!!

=)

Old May 10th 05, 03:20 AM
Eric

I second your second point... my wife won't even ride with me if I have the
doors off.

Eric

Old May 10th 05, 03:35 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III