Dana 30 gear noise

Old July 13th 05, 03:16 PM
Peter Pontbriand

Default Dana 30 gear noise

I swapped out the pinion yoke on a late-model Jeep TJ/XJ/ZJ Dana 30 (low
pinion with crush sleeve), and tightened the pinion nut to 160 foot-punds.
Now I have gear noise when coasting that wasn't there before. My gut
response is to tighten the pinion nut some more. Am I out to lunch or is
this the thing to do?

/Peter

Old July 13th 05, 04:46 PM
jeff

160 ft-Lb--- Holy Crap! The Dana Light Axle Service manual lists the
pinion bearing preload for a D-30 as 15-30 *IN-LB*.

--
jeff

Old July 13th 05, 04:56 PM
Peter Pontbriand

That's the preload, which I have no way of measuring. The 160 fb-lbs is what
I tightened the pinion _nut_ to, which is the minimum listed he
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ice_manual.pdf

/Peter

Old July 13th 05, 05:01 PM
jeff

Mispoke previously, pls ignore.

From the Dana Light Axle Service Manual:
Pinion nut is torqued between 160-500 ft-lb. With the wheels up and
straight, check the drive torque on the pinion nut. This should be
between 24 and 41 in-lb. (Preload calculated as: 15-30 for the pinion
bearing, 3 more for the seal, 6-12 for differential bearing preload).

Old July 13th 05, 05:10 PM
Peter Pontbriand

Okay, you're describing what I assumed to be the situation.

How am I to measure the preload, I don't have the fancy tool shown in the
shop manual? I just have a regular in-lbs torque wrench - can I repeatedly
lower the setting on that until I reach one that doesn't "click"?

/Peter

Old July 13th 05, 05:46 PM
jeff

Peter Pontbriand wrote:
> Okay, you're describing what I assumed to be the situation.
>
> How am I to measure the preload, I don't have the fancy tool shown in the
> shop manual? I just have a regular in-lbs torque wrench - can I repeatedly
> lower the setting on that until I reach one that doesn't "click"?

Or set it to the around the middle of the spec ( say 30-32 in-lb) and
tighten the pinion until it clicks.
Old July 13th 05, 07:10 PM
Earle Horton

A dial type torque wrench would be better for this sort of thing.

Earle

Old July 14th 05, 12:17 AM
Peter Pontbriand

The pinion nut is some sort of stover nut, but it's been re-used a couple of
times. Should I be putting some sort of Loc-Tite on it? Red or Blue?

/Peter

Old July 14th 05, 12:44 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Peter,
I never have, but then I've heard of many that have loosened. If
you have pinion bearing play the the yoke you have is not sliding up
hard against the bearing like the previous one did, as the crush sleeve
separating the bearings is naturally in-between them. Have you hit it
with an impact, and walked it on down? being careful in feeling with the
other hand for when it begins to snug up.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 14th 05, 01:10 AM
Peter Pontbriand

Hmm. I think I'll remove the nut and use some blue Loc-Tite then.

All I did on the weekend was install the yoke and tighten the nut to 160
lbs-ft. Just now I removed the drive shaft again and turned the pinion with
my lbs-in torque wrench set to 30 with no clicks, so it needs to be tighter.
I think there's even a bit of play in it, but its hard to tell what's lash
and what play. Unfortunately now I have to wait for a helper with stronger
legs than my six-year-old - he can't push on the brake pedal hard enough to
stop the wheels from spinning when I turn the pinion nut.

/Peter