Chrysler Sunroofs: Leaks & Rattles Poll

Old July 16th 05, 03:52 PM
Saucer Man

Default Chrysler Sunroofs: Leaks & Rattles Poll

I thinking of getting a 2006 PT Cruiser. I have to get a sunroof if I want
a factory installed navigation system and turbo. I never liked sunroofs.
In two previous cars, they ended up leaking after a few years and most
recently, my 04 Honda Accord Coupe has rattles and noises coming from the
sunroof area. With the moving parts up there and the cables, what should I
expect right? The dealer already had it for 6 days trying to silence it to
no avail. Anyways, are the Chrysler sunroofs more solid and quiet? I would
really hate to hear any type of creaks or noises coming from the ceiling
area.

--

Thanks.

Old July 16th 05, 05:55 PM
Art

The sunroof on my 300M has been perfect since new in 1999. We almost never
use the sunroof and the car is in the garage at night which might help. But
frankly I find that Chrysler body integrity is excellent and the PT Cruiser
in particular is a brick structurally compared to most small cars.

Old July 16th 05, 08:44 PM
Frederick Pileggi

I have had my 2005 GT PT for almost 8 months now and its been just fine.
And yes I use it all the time!
Regards_Fred
hlink.net...

Old July 16th 05, 10:07 PM
Richard

My 2001 PT Limited is still as solid as new. No leakes and no rattles [OK, I
had to replace the sway bar links and bushings at about 50,000 miles to get
rid of some rattles; but that is all.]

Richard.

Old July 16th 05, 10:50 PM
Steve

2004 300M. I have 62K/KM on the car so I drive it a lot. I use the sunroof
everyday and have never had any problems.

Old July 18th 05, 04:47 PM
SRG

First, Sunroof:

I drove a 2002 PT Cruiser, Limited edtion for almost 3 years. It had a
sunroof, which I used everyday, and it never leaked, or had any other
problem. I traded in the car for an 04 PT Cruiser GT (Turbo), which also
has a sunroof, and has no problems at all.

Navigation systems:

In both my PT's I've used a Chrysler RB1 navigation system. I bought it on
ebay, installed it myself, (a 20 minute job ) and when I got my GT, I
installed it in that. Now I think the 2006 might have the newer Chrysler
navigation system in it, used in the new 300m. I'm sure no matter which PT
you buy, you can buy, either through Chrysler dealers (new) or ebay (used)
the correct format navigation unit and install it in your 2006 PT. Chrysler
radios/navigation units simply swap out by unplugging them and plugging the
new one in. The only difference is that the GPS satellite antenna, with is
a small disk with a wire lead, that is set under the dashboard cover and
plugged into the back of the radio.

I would be amazed if you "have to buy a sunroof" to get a navigation unit.
So far, they have only been sold as a separate option, even on the "Dream
Cruiser" series.

Good luck,
SRG

Old July 18th 05, 11:24 PM
Saucer Man

Thanks for the info. I know I cannot get a factory installed Navigation
unit in the two lower models of the PT cruiser for 06. The two higher
models have the sunroof in the package. If I could buy it and install it
myself easily that would be fine. I was kinda hoping for the 180HP engine
though and I cannot get that in the two lower models. So you never heard
even the slightest rattle or squeak coming from the ceiling area where the
mechanism is when you go over bumps? I mean when the sunroof is closed.

--

Thanks.

. ..

Old July 19th 05, 11:52 PM
Richard

No nose; no rattles; no leaks. Comes in handy for moving large objects from
Home Depot, etc.

Richard.