'92 Civic DX - New Owner Questions

Old February 11th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default '92 Civic DX - New Owner Questions

I'm the new owner of a '92 Civic DX that I just got this week. 202,600 miles, was in a fender bender last fall and has been
repaired (quite well IMO) and repainted. 5 speed tranny. As best I can tell, this was the basic DX w/no (or very few)
options added by the original new car purchaser.

I have a few questions that hopefully the experts here can answer as this is my first ever Honda (except for my Pacific Coast
that is).

1) Anything in particular that I should be aware of, or looking out for? My 22YO daughter's driving this and while it seems
like a good solid car, I certainly don't want her running into any hassles with it.

2) There's a small red light on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. It looks to me like it's some sort of an alarm
system indicator, but it's not labelled, and it appears to be ALWAYS on. Does anyone know what it is, and when it's
supposed to turn off, and how?

3) Does anyone know of a good (inexpensive, too) source for body trim parts? After the fender bender last fall, for
whatever reason, the "H" emblems on the hood and trunk lid were left off, so there's just two nicely painted mounting holes
there. I'd like to get the emblems back in place. The same holds true for the trim around the hole where the antenna
protrudes through the roof just in front of and to the left of the driver's head.

4) Along the same lines, there's other missing trim ... the horizontal pieces that run the length of the roof just above the
doors. The chrome(?) pieces that run along the bottom of the window opening and the (black?) piece that runs vertically up
the rear of the door. The rubber(?) molding that goes along the top and front part of the window channel, and the rubber
modling that seals the front windshield in place. I'd love to find all of these pieces. Are they replaceable by mere
mortals such as myself or do I need a body service guru?

Anyway, hopefully someone can answer some of these for me and my daughter will get on with her enjoyment of this vehicle.

Phil
Old February 12th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Welcome to the group Phil. You've come to the right place. Lots of good
folks here.

First thing I'd do is get a service manual. I don't mean that
smart-alecky, but if you plan on keeping the car and doing the simple
maintenance things, it will be well worth the 20 bucks. Secondly, look
at http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/index.html when you get the time.

Do all the routine maintenance asap, as if it's never been done.
Check the manual for the exact light that's coming on.
For parts, majestic honda online has all the oem parts at great prices.
All those little trim peices, if *I* can do it, you can do it. Trim
pieces are glued or screwed on. Some parts are easier done than said.
Don't be shy. For a beater, you'll learn lots and it might even be fun.
(sense of accomplishment and all)

Good luck,
Merle O'Broham - more questions than answers