In-the-tank fuel pumps cause death and destruction

Old October 29th 04, 12:40 AM
Silver Surfer

Default In-the-tank fuel pumps cause death and destruction

Maybe I'm dense or something, but how can the in-tank fuel pump be blamed
for these two incidents?

"Nomen Nescio" > wrote in message
A Google search found two serious fires, happening on the same day, one
fire causing death and the other perhaps a million dollars damage as a
result of servicing in-the-tank fuel pumps. Had these fuel pumps been
placed externally, as the usual and proven practice for more than 70 years,
these accidents would have been prevented. Legislation is badly needed to
address this serious design deficiency as professional mechanics as well as
amateurs are exposed to deadly danger by a totally unnecessary fuel system
configuration. In the meantime, lawyers should file a class action as all
manufacturers are currently using dangerous in-tank pumps and millions of
cars are affected. This suit is worth billions and billions. At the very
least, all cars should be retrofitted with new tanks and external pumps by
mechanics wearing fire suits and guarded by fire crews. The changeover
will save hundreds of lives and much damages while costing much deserved
hundreds of millions of dollars of expense to the responsible capitalist
titans, all of whom are totally devoid of industrial ethics.

News Story One:

Thursday, October 28, 2004 · Last updated 4:11 a.m. PT

Inhalation of toxins blamed for Des Moines fire death

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

DES MOINES, Wash. -- A man who died in a garage fire after gasoline spilled
out of a truck that was being repaired died partly from inhaling toxic
fumes, investigators said.

David E. Russ, 61, identified Wednesday as the dead man, also had burns on
more than 90 percent of his body, investigators in the King County medical
examiner's office said.

Russ and two other men was trying to replace the fuel pump on a pickup
truck Monday when the leaking fuel caught fire as the trio tried to push
the truck out of a detached garage.

All three ran outside, but Russ went back in and was trapped when the roof
collapsed, Fire Battalion Chief Victor Pennington said.

News Story Two:

Local auto dealership heavily damaged in fire
By Virgil Cochran
Lamar Daily News

Thursday, October 28, 2004 -

Tri-County Ford on Highway 50-287 north of Lamar was severely damaged by a
midmorning fire yesterday, but the manager Jeff Travis said the business
will be up and running again in just a few days.

Travis and Prowers County Rural Fire Chief Marvin Rosencrans said the fire
began when mechanics were attempting to drain a fuel tank on a vehicle in
the mechanic shop to replace a fuel pump. A fuel transfer pump developed an
electrical short, which triggered the blaze.

It rapidly engulfed the shop area of the building, but everyone managed to
get out safely, Travis said.

Tri-County will have temporary office trailers set up on the lot by next
week, Travis said, and will be open for sales of new and used vehicles. In
the meantime, all automobiles for sale will remain on the lot, and
customers are welcome to drop by and shop, and even negotiate deals. But
the business won't be able to finalize deals until the temporary offices
are set up and computer equipment is up and running again next week.

Travis said Tri-County is also negotiating for temporary headquarters for
its mechanic shops, but it may be a few more days before the shop functions
of the business are up and running.

Eight cars in the service area were destroyed and the service garage itself
was heavily damaged if not totally destroyed, but Rosencrans said damage to
the office and parts storage area was limited to mostly smoke and water
damage.

Local firefighters were called to the scene about 10:40 a.m. yesterday, and
the Prowers Rural Fire Department was assisted by the Lamar, Wiley, and
Holly Fire Departments.

As for the existing building, Travis said the business was well insured and
that he would meet with insurance adjusters sometime today.

Old October 29th 04, 12:56 AM
Al Smith

"Silver Surfer" > wrote in message
> Maybe I'm dense or something, but how can the in-tank fuel pump be blamed
> for these two incidents?

Might be.

Story 1

First the disclaimer. I could be wrong, but . . .

Every in-tank fuel pump I know of requires that the tank be
removed from the vehicle. Perhaps they tried to sleaze-repair
by not draining the tank. Or maybe they substantially drained
the tank, but not completely. If the pump were external as has
been conventional for decades, the tank wouldn't have to be
drained and removed to safely remove the fuel pump.

Story 2

"Travis and Prowers County Rural Fire Chief Marvin Rosencrans said the fire
began when mechanics were attempting to drain a fuel tank on a vehicle in
the mechanic shop to replace a fuel pump. A fuel transfer pump developed an
electrical short, which triggered the blaze."

Kind of self-explanatory, isn't it?

By the way, little-old me - a mechanical engineer - really doesn't
understand
why the pumps were stuck in the tank. I believe "Click and Clack"
aka Tom and Ray Maliozzi MIT graduates and hosts of Car Talk once,
as I recall, said they were not sure why the pumps were stuck in the
tank.

Possible reason - Increases cost of repair?

Old October 29th 04, 12:56 AM
Al Smith

Old October 29th 04, 01:05 AM
SRG

"Silver Surfer" > wrote in message
> Maybe I'm dense or something, but how can the in-tank fuel pump be blamed
> for these two incidents?

Its a Nomen thread, anything can and will be written, someday I wish him and
Mic Canic would get a clue

Old October 29th 04, 01:05 AM
SRG

Old October 29th 04, 01:14 AM
Bill Putney

Al Smith wrote:

> By the way, little-old me - a mechanical engineer - really doesn't
> understand
> why the pumps were stuck in the tank. I believe "Click and Clack"
> aka Tom and Ray Maliozzi MIT graduates and hosts of Car Talk once,
> as I recall, said they were not sure why the pumps were stuck in the
> tank.

Simple: To increase integration and reduce costs. The auto mfgrs.
prefer to buy fewer total assemblies from suppliers to cut down on costs
such as separate handling, installation, shipping, purchase contracts,
parallel paper trails, tracking systems, project managers, installation
effort, etc. By putting the fuel pump with the "sending" unit, the fuel
pump and gage sender (and, in the case of the LH cars, the fuel filter)
get incorporated into one purchased "part".

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')

Old October 29th 04, 01:14 AM
Bill Putney