Don't think I mentioned yet, but I got new tires...

Old January 6th 05, 05:23 AM
Cory Dunkle

Default Don't think I mentioned yet, but I got new tires...

I got new tires put on a while ago, the end of last month. I got them from
tirerack.com, but they took a little longer to get here since they were out
of stock at the local warehouse. I ended up getting BFGoodrich Radial T/A in
225/70/15. I like them, they handle much better than my old tires did even
when new. The new ones being an inch shorter surely help a littel with that.
Anyhow, today I got to drive in some real rain with the new tires and wow,
they handle great in the rain. Way better than my old ones ever did. They
grip great when taking off from a stop in the rain, stop very well, and what
impresses me the most about their wet handling is how well they take the
turns in the rain.

I did notice the tread seems to be a little on the soft side, which I
suppose helps with being stickier. I suppose with time I'll see what kind of
mileage I'll get out of them...

So, if anyone has any thoughts on this tire, good or bad, I'm listening. I
was indecisive about what tire to get and ended up going with this one as it
seemed pretty good. I'm happy with it, which I suppose is what matters. I
don't know if I could have made a better choice for the price, but I got
what I got and I'm satisfied with the performance.

Cory

Old January 6th 05, 06:14 AM
Malcolm

"Cory Dunkle" > wrote in message

> So, if anyone has any thoughts on this tire, good or bad, I'm listening. I
> was indecisive about what tire to get and ended up going with this one as

it
> seemed pretty good. I'm happy with it, which I suppose is what matters. I
> don't know if I could have made a better choice for the price, but I got
> what I got and I'm satisfied with the performance.

Radial T/A's and, for that matter, most all BFG's, are excellent tires. I
had a set on a Dodge Spirit (mid-size ChryCo car from the '90's) and they
lasted, let me think, about 60k miles as I remember. That's on a
front-driver, with somewhat regular tire rotation on about a 10k mile basis.
As I remember, they were really excellent in harsh weather (mostly rain, as
we moved south out of the snow belt shortly after having them installed).

--
Malcolm

Old January 6th 05, 06:14 AM
Malcolm

Old January 6th 05, 02:58 PM
Paul

"Cory Dunkle" > wrote in message

> So, if anyone has any thoughts on this tire, good or bad, I'm

listening. I
> was indecisive about what tire to get and ended up going with this one

as it
> seemed pretty good. I'm happy with it, which I suppose is what

matters. I
> don't know if I could have made a better choice for the price, but I

got
> what I got and I'm satisfied with the performance.

So long as you, the driver, are satisfied with the performance of the
tires, nothing else matters.

Old January 6th 05, 02:58 PM
Paul

Old January 7th 05, 10:55 AM
Dave Stone

"Cory Dunkle" > wrote in message
> I got new tires put on a while ago, the end of last month. I got them from
> tirerack.com, but they took a little longer to get here since they were

out
> of stock at the local warehouse. I ended up getting BFGoodrich Radial T/A

in
> 225/70/15. I like them, they handle much better than my old tires did even
> when new. The new ones being an inch shorter surely help a littel with

that.
> Anyhow, today I got to drive in some real rain with the new tires and wow,
> they handle great in the rain. Way better than my old ones ever did. They
> grip great when taking off from a stop in the rain, stop very well, and

what
> impresses me the most about their wet handling is how well they take the
> turns in the rain.
>
> I did notice the tread seems to be a little on the soft side, which I
> suppose helps with being stickier. I suppose with time I'll see what kind

of
> mileage I'll get out of them...
>
> So, if anyone has any thoughts on this tire, good or bad, I'm listening. I
> was indecisive about what tire to get and ended up going with this one as

it
> seemed pretty good. I'm happy with it, which I suppose is what matters. I
> don't know if I could have made a better choice for the price, but I got
> what I got and I'm satisfied with the performance.
>
> Cory

I recently put on 4 BFG traction T/A tires on my ride, they are awesome. I
got them online from discount and had them mounted at one of their stores.
The Kumho 'Powermax' tires that were replaced were junk in comparison. The
BFG is much better overall but especially rain and snow, I'll be buying them
again when needed.

Old January 7th 05, 10:55 AM
Dave Stone

Old January 12th 05, 06:42 PM
Robert Briggs

Paul wrote:
> Cory Dunkle wrote:
>
> > So, if anyone has any thoughts on this tire, good or bad, I'm
> > listening. I was indecisive about what tire to get and ended up
> > going with this one as it seemed pretty good. I'm happy with it,
> > which I suppose is what matters.

> So long as you, the driver, are satisfied with the performance of
> the tires, nothing else matters.

In Cory's cases, emphatically *NO*.

Back in November, he wrote:

I'll cut straight to the chase... Stupid old me rear-ended
someone today. It was my fault, I should have been paying
more attention.

:

I didn't react other than to keep braking. Tapped him at a
few MPH and cracked his turn signal lense, bent the metal
below it a little, and jarred that panel slightly ...

:

The cop gave me a ticket for following too closely ...

:

I just hope that between the ticket the BS speeding ticket
the cops have been jerking me around with for 9 months that
I have to pay next week, the ticket from today I have to pay
next week, and the increased insurance, that I can afford
new tires before snow falls. Two are down to the belts and
two are about to the wear indicators.

AFAIK, he has yet to acknowledge that having a full set of good
tyres, rather than two "down to the belts" and two "about to the
wear indicators", might have turned his low-speed bump into a
miss.

His new tyres can hardly fail to be better than his old ones, but
that in itself is no sound recommendation.
Old January 12th 05, 06:42 PM
Robert Briggs