electrical problems after cleaning windows

Old May 25th 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
sean_n

Default electrical problems after cleaning windows

Hello, I have a 93 honda accord ex, 4D sedan.

yesterday my car was working fine. today, i wiped my car windows, all
of them, with a wet sponge. so obviously some water dripped downward,
but not a lot, it's not like a drenched my car with a hose. i then
tried to turn my car on, and it was as if i didn't have a battery. it
didn't make a sound, radio was dead, no lights anywhere. about 1-1/2
hrs later, i tried it again, and it started, everything was normal.
i'm guessing it couldn't have been the water, it's too little, and
could water going down any of the windows cause these symptoms?
Old May 25th 08, 04:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

sean_n wrote:
> Hello, I have a 93 honda accord ex, 4D sedan.
>
> yesterday my car was working fine. today, i wiped my car windows, all
> of them, with a wet sponge. so obviously some water dripped downward,
> but not a lot, it's not like a drenched my car with a hose. i then
> tried to turn my car on, and it was as if i didn't have a battery. it
> didn't make a sound, radio was dead, no lights anywhere. about 1-1/2
> hrs later, i tried it again, and it started, everything was normal.
> i'm guessing it couldn't have been the water, it's too little, and
> could water going down any of the windows cause these symptoms?

=======================

Your battery terminals (or the ground lug at the far end of the black
one) are loose or corroded. Those kind of problems are temperature
sensitive, as is the Main Relay problem. That's why it worked OK later
after the temperature changed. Yours is probably a loose terminal.

'Curly'
Old May 26th 08, 07:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
sean_n

> Your battery terminals (or the ground lug at the far end of the black
> one) are loose or corroded. Those kind of problems are temperature
> sensitive, as is the Main Relay problem. That's why it worked OK later
> after the temperature changed. Yours is probably a loose terminal.
>
> 'Curly'

I got my Main Relay changed in 9/2006 because i had trouble starting
it on a hot day, it was turning over but not catching, and the dash
controls lit up. This time it was as if the battery was not connected
at all, nothing lit up. When it started working 1-1/2 hrs later, I
turned on the radio, and had to reenter the security code so that
confirms a disconnection. It was not hot, parked in the shade.
However, I changed the battery today because it was showing less than
12 volts and it's more than 3 years old and I just want to rule out a
bad battery. When I took out the old battery, I noticed that the
terminals were snug, and there was no corrosion, I usually clean them
periodically. I'm don't think there's a disconnection at the
battery, any suggestions on where else I could look.
Old May 26th 08, 08:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

sean_n wrote:
>> Your battery terminals (or the ground lug at the far end of the black
>> one) are loose or corroded. Those kind of problems are temperature
>> sensitive, as is the Main Relay problem. That's why it worked OK later
>> after the temperature changed. Yours is probably a loose terminal.
>>
>> 'Curly'

> I got my Main Relay changed in 9/2006 because i had trouble starting
> it on a hot day, it was turning over but not catching, and the dash
> controls lit up. This time it was as if the battery was not connected
> at all, nothing lit up. When it started working 1-1/2 hrs later, I
> turned on the radio, and had to reenter the security code so that
> confirms a disconnection. It was not hot, parked in the shade.
> However, I changed the battery today because it was showing less than
> 12 volts and it's more than 3 years old and I just want to rule out a
> bad battery. When I took out the old battery, I noticed that the
> terminals were snug, and there was no corrosion, I usually clean them
> periodically. I'm don't think there's a disconnection at the
> battery, any suggestions on where else I could look.

The other ends of the cables. . . Loose or corroded.

'Curly'