Subaru headgasket question

Old July 24th 05, 04:02 PM
rajp

Default Subaru headgasket question

If the headgaskets are in fact blown, would the auto (96 OBW w/178 k
miles) overheat when reving at 4k with the AC on? I just had my
running like that (not in "drive") and the temp gauge was at the 7
o'clock position.

If the HG are in fact blown, what can I expect to get for such a car
with only typical parking lot dings and such? Although the car is in
great shape I don't know if it is worth repairing and thought I'd sell
it to "Car Cash" or on ebay. On that note, what is it worth?

As always, thanks to all.
Ric

Old July 24th 05, 05:02 PM

A blown head gasket may be the cause of overheating. It could of course be
other things too,
like a nonfunctioning thermostat, fans, etc.

If you start the car cold with the radiator cap off, does it belch or bubble
as it runs? This is
an indication of leak from the combustion chambers into the water jacket.

Were the fans operating when you did your assessment of the temperature?

I tried to check the value at www.kbb.com but dont really know what a 96 OBW
is.
I suspected it might be Outback Wagon, but didnt find them earlier than
2000.

At any rate, with that mileage and with an engine problem, you aren't
looking at much value.
Likely less than $500, at a wild guess.

Old July 24th 05, 08:54 PM
rajp

Were the fans operating when you did your assessment of the
temperature?

Yes. the fans were operation. Thanks for you time and response.
Ric

Old July 24th 05, 08:55 PM
rajp

The fans were operating. Thanks for the time and response.
Ric

Old July 25th 05, 02:02 AM

"rajp" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Were the fans operating when you did your assessment of the
> temperature?
>
> Yes. the fans were operation. Thanks for you time and response.
> Ric

Okay, then check to be sure the thermostat is opening. Also check to see if
the radiator is
blocked, as with grass clippings, leaves, waste paper, etc.

If you have good fan operation, a free radiator (inside and out), a
functioning water pump, and
a functioning thermostat, then you have to start looking at internal engine
issues.

Old July 25th 05, 02:51 AM
Garry

Have you done a compression test, vaccumm test or a leak down test?
this will tell you the condition of the top end and if you have a blown
head gasket. Any water in oil? Is it milky, and smoke coming form
exhust? Any visible leaks underneath the car? Water pump working
(Not leaking or the bearing is not making a whinning sound) and the
themostate opening? Water jackets leaking? Any of these questions
should be considered when trying to trobleshoot an overheating problem.

Old July 25th 05, 12:24 PM
rajp

Thanks to all!

Old July 25th 05, 04:30 PM

"rajp" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Thanks to all!

Please let us know what you find, rajp. Feedback on issues like this help
us all.

Old July 26th 05, 02:15 AM
rajp

I certainly will!