fluxuating idle speed

Old April 25th 06, 05:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default fluxuating idle speed

99 Explorer, 4.0 SOHC, auto trans. Engine starts and runs fine, but after
it warms up the idle speed jumps around from 900 rpm to as high as 1500
rpm whether in gear or not. Can anyone help with what the problem might be
and how to fix it.
Thanks, Dennis

Old April 25th 06, 06:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Vacuum leak ??? and/or
Leaking intake gaskets ??? and/or
Binding iac valve ???

C.E.L. on ????????
any codes ???????

If no codes its usually dirt related, dirty t-body and /or iac valve

lkaboutautos.com...

Old April 25th 06, 07:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

The problem just started suddenly about 5 days ago. I don't have any code
info or know where to start troubleshooting to see if its a vacuum problem
or something else. I also don't know what an IAC is or where the IAC is
located on the engine. Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Old April 25th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

IAC = idle air control .I forget EXACTLY where it is on the throttle body.
It controls the idle speed.

Old April 26th 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

The IAC was replaced last December by my Ford dealer. Could the new one now
be going bad or should I being looking elsewhere for the problem?

Old April 26th 06, 06:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Is the CHECK ENGINE light on ?????

If so, goto pepboys and have the codes read, they do it for free but don't
buy anything !!!!!!!

Old April 27th 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

As stated before, no lights then its usually dirt related, clean t-body and
air idle control valve with t-body cleaner

You might have to soak the iac valve

Just GOOGLE it, for instructions