CRASH! BMW hits my C4- Questions at the end

Old July 11th 05, 03:18 AM
OldSchool

Default CRASH! BMW hits my C4- Questions at the end

It was a very nice day for a drive here in SE MI. I was on my way to
pick up my daughter at a birthday party. I was drivin' 'bout 50 (the
posted limit) and jammin' to The Psychodelic Furs (yeah, I'm an 80's
throwback). This BMW in front of me has his R turn signal on. I drop
her in 3rd, still well back, and wait for him to start turning. He does
start to turn right. I start to go around him.

Next thing I see out of the corner of my eye is a car coming at my
passenger door side. The guy decided to turn left! Well, stopping would
have done me no good. So I hit it and swung as far left as the two lane
road will let me. I almost made it...He clipped the lower back part of
the bumper as I was finishing the move. Just a tap. But it put me more
or less sideways on the road squeelin.

I adjusted, She straightened out and I pulled over. After talkin' with
the guy, he denies ever starting to turn right. Said he had his left
signal on. Said I was careless, Said I could have killed him. Also,
said all of this to the cop. I told the cop the same as this post. I
knew damn well he wouldn't believe me.

He ended up saying the accident was my fault. Said that I was not
allowed to pass at that spot. Said it was before the 'pass with care'
sign. But, he did not give me a ticket. Said he wasn't there to know if
the guy signaled wrong or not. This ****ed the BMW guy right off. If
you saw me in my bleached blond hair, old Seahawk jersey and pretty boy
features, you would know why I was so surprised the cop didn't write me
up and believe Mr. BMW 100%

Anyway, the damage to my car is a paint rub to the lower right of the
bumper behind the back tire.

Questions
-Cop gave me a police report number for insurance. Do I have to call it
in? My deductable is like $500.00 or maybe more. I don't think it will
cost that much.

-Any good tips on getting paint (or maybe tire rubber) off a white
bumper.

Thanks - A rare poster
OldSchool

Old July 11th 05, 04:06 AM

Don't know about the rubber on the white paint, I'm sure someone else
will comment.

As for the insurance, DON'T REPORT IT. But then again if you were
given a citation you're insurance Co. will find out about it; at
least that's the way it works in OH.

Old July 11th 05, 04:33 AM
Tom in Missouri

If you got no ticket, I'd be tempted to not report it. BUT ...

The BMW guy just may turn it into your company if he has all your
information and the accident report. He may well claim it was YOUR fault,
like he did to the cop. So this boils down to how good of terms you are
with your insurance agent. If good, go talk to him, tell him what happened,
and tell him you don't plan to turn in a claim since it is such a small
cost. He will be happy about that (no paperwork, no money out.) And see
what he says about the possibility the guy may come back in a few days and
try to claim against you.

If the BMW guy claims against you, and you have not informed them of the
problem, your insurance will immediately assume you in the wrong. They may
fight or they may settle in his behalf, depending on the amount the guy
claims for, and odds are it will happen before you know. Then you will get
the increase or the cancellation notice in the mail.

So be first up to bat on this. The best defense is a good offense.

This may be a bad time to mention it, but it is a very good reason to never
do anything that seems reasonable, but puts you in the guilty spot if things
go wrong.
- Passing on the right behind left turners - if they straighten out, you are
wrong.
- Pull in the left (oncoming) lane - anything there becomes your fault.
- Pull off the side of the road to avoid - if the other guy suddenly goes
off the road and you hit, then you are at fault (sad but true).

Old July 11th 05, 05:04 AM
Dad

Michigan still has no fault insurance? Report it, "NOW", and tell them there
was little or no damage to you, you never said if there was any damage to
bmw. Keep your insurance company in the loop, and suck up a bit, can't hurt.
He can come back and claim whiplash and take you for a ride. That may be
the, pardon the pun, rub. Rubber comes off easy, light rubbing compound,
autocross taught me that. Lived in SE Michigan for years and now live in NW
Ohio, and insurance companies and cops do their own thing in both places, be
up front and above all be first.

By the way, not all citations go back to your insurance companies in Ohio,
only those that have an abundance of under paid and under worked police
departments. My guess is that is why the was no citations issued, that way
the cop don't have as much paper work unless some dope sues. As an example
Toledo won't even make out a report unless there is a personal injury and/or
over $1500 damage. Their estimating skills are based on how much work they
want to avoid.

Dad
--
Life is a sexually transmitted condition that is always fatal.

ink.net...

Old July 11th 05, 05:35 AM
'Key

"OldSchool" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> It was a very nice day for a drive here in SE MI. I was on
> my way to
> pick up my daughter at a birthday party. I was drivin'
> 'bout 50 (the
> posted limit) and jammin' to The Psychodelic Furs (yeah,
> I'm an 80's
> throwback). This BMW in front of me has his R turn signal
> on. I drop
> her in 3rd, still well back, and wait for him to start
> turning. He does
> start to turn right. I start to go around him.
>
> Next thing I see out of the corner of my eye is a car
> coming at my
> passenger door side. The guy decided to turn left! Well,
> stopping would
> have done me no good. So I hit it and swung as far left as
> the two lane
> road will let me. I almost made it...He clipped the lower
> back part of
> the bumper as I was finishing the move. Just a tap. But it
> put me more
> or less sideways on the road squeelin.
>
> I adjusted, She straightened out and I pulled over. After
> talkin' with
> the guy, he denies ever starting to turn right. Said he
> had his left
> signal on. Said I was careless, Said I could have killed
> him. Also,
> said all of this to the cop. I told the cop the same as
> this post. I
> knew damn well he wouldn't believe me.
>
> He ended up saying the accident was my fault. Said that I
> was not
> allowed to pass at that spot. Said it was before the 'pass
> with care'
> sign. But, he did not give me a ticket. Said he wasn't
> there to know if
> the guy signaled wrong or not. This ****ed the BMW guy
> right off. If
> you saw me in my bleached blond hair, old Seahawk jersey
> and pretty boy
> features, you would know why I was so surprised the cop
> didn't write me
> up and believe Mr. BMW 100%
>
> Anyway, the damage to my car is a paint rub to the lower
> right of the
> bumper behind the back tire.
>
> Questions
> -Cop gave me a police report number for insurance. Do I
> have to call it
> in? My deductable is like $500.00 or maybe more. I don't
> think it will
> cost that much.
>
> -Any good tips on getting paint (or maybe tire rubber) off
> a white
> bumper.
>
> Thanks - A rare poster
> OldSchool

if the bmw guy tries to file a claim against your insurance?
(sounds like he may)
you may have wished you would have reported it?

my˘
--
"Key"

Old July 11th 05, 09:47 AM
OldSchool

Oops. The BMW had paint damage to his driver side front bumper and his
reflecter was damaged. Honestly, he was waffling for so long on whether
to call the cops or not, I was finally like, "I'm callin' the cops."
Believe it or not, he did have his turn signal on for a R turn. He lied
to the cop, straight up. He knew he was lying. That was hard to deal
with.

Thanks for all of your comments. But I still think I should lay low.
MI. has no fault. Is it wrong to not claim something that is minor? I
wish I knew.

OldSchool

Old July 11th 05, 01:47 PM
Unquestionably Confused

OldSchool wrote:
> Oops. The BMW had paint damage to his driver side front bumper and his
> reflecter was damaged. Honestly, he was waffling for so long on whether
> to call the cops or not, I was finally like, "I'm callin' the cops."
> Believe it or not, he did have his turn signal on for a R turn. He lied
> to the cop, straight up. He knew he was lying. That was hard to deal
> with.
>
> Thanks for all of your comments. But I still think I should lay low.
> MI. has no fault. Is it wrong to not claim something that is minor? I
> wish I knew.

If the only damage had been to your car, i.e. bumped a light pole in the
local stop & rob, that's one thing. The reason you have insurance - at
least in states which mandate it - it to cover the other person's
losses, not yours.

Read your policy, you're required in most policies to notify them of any
potential loss. That's what this is, a potential loss as this prick in
the BMW is not likely to fix his reflector, etc. out of his own pocket.

After all, it was all your fault, he had his left turn signal on the
whole time <g>

Get thee to your insurance agent, explain what happened and sit back and
wait for the other shoe to fall. I have a feeling that if you talk to
him today you'll still beat the other guy by an hour or so.
Old July 11th 05, 11:35 PM
Charlie Funk

Is it wrong to not claim something that is minor?

The threshold varies by state and insurance company, but in Tennessee, if
damage to ALL vehicles exceeds $200 a report ahs to be filed with the state.
Sounds like you already did this by default when the police came. If the
Bimmer dude lied about the turn signal, what's to say he won't have whip
lash in another month or so? You KNOW how your head gets bounced around in
those nasty side impacts - hardly scratched the paint, but I swear I almost
broke my neck your honor.

If the Bimmer dude will sign a full and total release of any and all claims
of whatever nature for whatever reason for any consequence stemming from the
fender bender from now until the end of time, you might be okay not turning
it in. My guess the guy is a liar but not stupid. He won't go for the
release. If he won't, you need to get this turned in YESTERDAY.

Charlie

oups.com...

Old July 12th 05, 12:01 AM
'Key

"OldSchool" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Oops. The BMW had paint damage to his driver side front
> bumper and his
> reflecter was damaged. Honestly, he was waffling for so
> long on whether
> to call the cops or not, I was finally like, "I'm callin'
> the cops."
> Believe it or not, he did have his turn signal on for a R
> turn. He lied
> to the cop, straight up. He knew he was lying. That was
> hard to deal
> with.
>
> Thanks for all of your comments. But I still think I
> should lay low.
> MI. has no fault. Is it wrong to not claim something that
> is minor? I
> wish I knew.
>
> OldSchool

bottom line ...
the law is what the law is.
if you break the law in question?
you are wrong.

--
"Key"

Old July 12th 05, 12:32 AM
Dave in Lake Villa

'This BMW in front of me has his R turn signal on.'

Reply: Sometimes when the sun is bright, it can hit the lense and look
like its flashing when it isnt by the driver.

Said that I was not allowed to pass at that spot. Said it was before the
'pass with care' sign. But, he did not give me a ticket.'

Reply: Good thing, cause it appears you were in the wrong for trying to
get around him then.

'Any good tips on getting paint (or maybe tire rubber) off a white
bumper.'

Reply: Theres a good product called 'Black Streak Remover' which RVers
use. Works good. Available in Walmart for about $4. If that doesnt
work, try a bit of carb cleaner and rub lightly. Wash it right away and
put some wax on it.