Crazy Electrical Problems in 1990 5.0 LX

Old September 12th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
cdm331

Default Crazy Electrical Problems in 1990 5.0 LX

OK, I am having crazy electrical issues in my 1990 LX. I am sure
everyone is familiar with the familiar whine of the fuel pump in these
cars pressurizing. Well, when I have the key turned to accessory (just
before start), the fuel pump constantly pressurizes, even while
attempting to start it continues to pressurize. Also, the tach jumps
around like a babboon, there is a strange beeping noise (like pulsing
electicity) coming from something that I cant pinpoint under the hood
and there is a clicking coming from behind the gauges.

I would think it was the Fuel pump relay if it were only the pump that
was acting up. My other thought is an EEC Relay or MAYBE the recalled
ignition switch. The reason I am suspecting the ignition switch is
because it is almost like its acting like I am flipping the key back
and forth from acc. to off.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Cdm331

Old September 12th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dr Moria

"cdm331" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> OK, I am having crazy electrical issues in my 1990 LX. I am sure
> everyone is familiar with the familiar whine of the fuel pump in these
> cars pressurizing. Well, when I have the key turned to accessory (just
> before start), the fuel pump constantly pressurizes, even while
> attempting to start it continues to pressurize.

should buzz 2-5 sec then stop, at pressure about 45-50 or so

> Also, the tach jumps
> around like a babboon, there is a strange beeping noise (like pulsing
> electicity) coming from something that I cant pinpoint under the hood
> and there is a clicking coming from behind the gauges.

not started yet but with just the key turned ?
tach should not move at all,

Is the battery voltage low? like 10 V or below ?

> I would think it was the Fuel pump relay if it were only the pump that
> was acting up. My other thought is an EEC Relay or MAYBE the recalled
> ignition switch. The reason I am suspecting the ignition switch is
> because it is almost like its acting like I am flipping the key back
> and forth from acc. to off.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Cdm331

Clicking almost has to be a relay ?
replacing some of the relays on the fuse panel is quick, there is another
relay I had to replace that was just up under the dash, Ford doesn't always
put it in the same place, a bigger one, not sure what that was for.

Else break out he schematics, good luck

5.0 87
5.0 93 8#

Old September 13th 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
cdm331

Yes, it should buzz for two to five seconds and stop. But it doesn't
stop, it just keeps buzzing. The battery is new and is testing fine.
I changed the fuel pump relay and the EEC relay and neither made a
difference. I think the relay under the dash you are talking about is
the EEC. Its not the ignition module because it acts the same whether
that is hooked up or not. The alternator is testing fine so the voltage
regulator should be good (VR is on the Alt). And I know the tach is
not supposed to move, but it does. I am not sure what else it could be
and I dont want to start buying things to troubleshoot it. I was
hoping someone on here would maybe have experienced something similar
but everything that is wrong seems so wacky.

Thanks for your help.