Maiden Voyage

Old July 2nd 05, 03:32 PM

Default Maiden Voyage

Well,.. for those of you who have been following me WOES of the 1970
Beetle that is really a 1973 with a 1971 engine on a "Possible_ 1970
Frame I have some good news for you. My Mechanic finished it
yesturday and we have it back! And it only cost me,... $800!!!!!

Oh Well,.. at least I know she is safe to drive so I won't worry about
my Wife when she is driving it. We took it for a short cruise
yesturday to make sure everything was working,.. it was. SO today we
are taking it even farther from home,.. a family reunion and it's
about 60 miles away,.. it's going to be a day trip fpr us but we will
be coming back after dark so that might be exciting <G>.

Couple of quick questions,.. First of all,...

Is it possible to overheat the engine?

Where can I get Key Blanks?

Ken
Old July 2nd 05, 04:27 PM
Karls Vladimir Peña

Possible? of course, just run it without the alt/gen belt and it will
overheat in no time.

If your engine is properly tuned and the cooling system is there and running
well, there is no reason for the engine to overheat.

Key blanks? check out ACN's website.

http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/vie... 200539889832

news

Old July 2nd 05, 05:34 PM
Remco

> Well,.. for those of you who have been following me WOES of the 1970
> Beetle that is really a 1973 with a 1971 engine on a "Possible_ 1970
> Frame I have some good news for you. My Mechanic finished it
> yesturday and we have it back! And it only cost me,... $800!!!!!
>
> Oh Well,.. at least I know she is safe to drive so I won't worry about
> my Wife when she is driving it. We took it for a short cruise
> yesturday to make sure everything was working,.. it was. SO today we
> are taking it even farther from home,.. a family reunion and it's
> about 60 miles away,.. it's going to be a day trip fpr us but we will
> be coming back after dark so that might be exciting <G>.
>
> Couple of quick questions,.. First of all,...
>
> Is it possible to overheat the engine?
>
> Where can I get Key Blanks?
>
> Ken

Congratulations on getting the car back - That feels good, I'm sure.
(not that I know how that feels yet, because my body is off the pan as
I am working on it)
It is only money, but you probably wanted to spend it on something
else, so there's you incentive to learn

Overheating? Sure! Perhaps keep a spare alternator/fan belt in your car
and learn how to replace it - it's easy easy, taking 10 minutes plus
simple tools.
Not to make you overly paranoid, but you do have to be aware of not
driving with a broken belt (not even for minutes) because you can do
serious damage to your engine - a bug is not like any modern car.
A broken belt is indicated by the red light. (green light is oil
pressure failure).
A broken alternator/fan belt, besides causing your battery to not
charge, also causes your engine to not get cooled.
Not that it will happen on your trip, but if you ever see your
red/green light come on, stop the car and see what's wrong.
Don't keep driving with it.

I know a good locksmith in Derby, CT (Calvert locksmithing) that can
help, but that may not be practical for you.

Remco

Old July 2nd 05, 08:55 PM
johnboy

> wrote in message
news
> [...[ And it only cost me,... $800!!!!!
>
> [...] SO today we
> are taking it even farther from home,.. a family reunion and it's
> about 60 miles away,.. it's going to be a day trip fpr us but we will
> be coming back after dark so that might be exciting <G>.

120 miles is an adventure? Crazy.

Old July 2nd 05, 09:11 PM
Shag

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 14:55:44 -0500, "johnboy" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
>news
>> [...[ And it only cost me,... $800!!!!!
>>
>> [...] SO today we
>> are taking it even farther from home,.. a family reunion and it's
>> about 60 miles away,.. it's going to be a day trip fpr us but we will
>> be coming back after dark so that might be exciting <G>.

>120 miles is an adventure? Crazy.

Hey, I've had adventures in less than trips that were less than 5
miles round-trip. It's what you make of it... :-)

Old July 2nd 05, 09:12 PM
Shag

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 20:11:45 GMT, Shag >
wrote:

>On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 14:55:44 -0500, "johnboy" >
>wrote:
>
> wrote in message
>>news
>>> [...[ And it only cost me,... $800!!!!!
>>>
>>> [...] SO today we
>>> are taking it even farther from home,.. a family reunion and it's
>>> about 60 miles away,.. it's going to be a day trip fpr us but we will
>>> be coming back after dark so that might be exciting <G>.

>>120 miles is an adventure? Crazy.
>>

>Hey, I've had adventures in less than trips that were less than 5
>miles round-trip. It's what you make of it... :-)

WTF did I just say?
*heads to 'fridge for refill*

Old July 2nd 05, 10:53 PM
Funkie

I did 7 hour each way trips. Thats 14 hrs driving a beetle for each trip.
And did that trip 2 weekends in a row (28 hrs total). Orlando to Alanta and
back, twice. Thats a trip.

Carry your tools at all times, the basics at least. 15mm socket, wrench,
hammer, large flat screwdriver, jack, jumper cables, etc. Short trips can
become very long if you get caught without this stuff.

Old July 2nd 05, 11:20 PM
Shag

http://www.mrefoods.com/
Hey, if you don't eat them during the trip, they'll be great for
snacks 50 years from now. Yum! :-)

Old July 3rd 05, 02:14 AM
John Willis

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 20:12:43 GMT, Shag >
scribbled this interesting note:

>On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 20:11:45 GMT, Shag >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 14:55:44 -0500, "johnboy" >
>>wrote:
>>
> wrote in message
>>>news >>>> [...[ And it only cost me,... $800!!!!!

>>>120 miles is an adventure? Crazy.
>>>

>>Hey, I've had adventures in less than trips that were less than 5
>>miles round-trip. It's what you make of it... :-)

>WTF did I just say?
>*heads to 'fridge for refill*

I was wondering the same thing!:~)

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Old July 3rd 05, 05:38 PM
P.J. Berg

Shag wrote:
> http://www.mrefoods.com/
> Hey, if you don't eat them during the trip, they'll be great for
> snacks 50 years from now. Yum! :-)
>
> On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 17:53:39 -0400, "Funkie" >
> wrote:
>

>>I did 7 hour each way trips. Thats 14 hrs driving a beetle for each trip.
>>And did that trip 2 weekends in a row (28 hrs total). Orlando to Alanta and
>>back, twice. Thats a trip.
>>
>>Carry your tools at all times, the basics at least. 15mm socket, wrench,
>>hammer, large flat screwdriver, jack, jumper cables, etc. Short trips can
>>become very long if you get caught without this stuff.
>>
>>"johnboy" > wrote in message
>>
> wrote in message
>>>news >>>

>>>120 miles is an adventure? Crazy.

HMmm, I just ordered a variety pack to check it out!

J.