Bad Design Trends

Old January 16th 05, 07:59 PM
Tim

Default Bad Design Trends

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
>I was out driving yesterday (on Chapman heading eastbound, just past
> the offramp from the 55 freeway). An old geezer in a new Cadillac CTS
> flew off the off-ramp and cut across 3 lanes of traffic, almost taking
> off my front fender despite a warning blast from my horn.
>
> As I sat stuck behind Russell Weller Sr. at the stoplight, I noticed
> that the Cadillac CTS has high, slab sides and a low, "chopped"
> roofline, leaving relatively little glass area.
>
> http://www.cadillac.com/images/model...toExt1_med.jpg
>
> The visibility from inside one of those things must be at least
> somewhat limited if not downright poor.
>
> I think it's totally irresponsible of General Motors to design a
> vehicle with such poor visibility when the brand is so popular with
> elderly people. These old geezers have enough probels seeing as it is
> without their cars adding additional impairments.

You are promoting a baby state that you frequently protest? If the elderly
are causing problems, don't blame the car manufacture.

BTW: Chrysler 300 and Dodge Magnum also have limited visibility. I suspect
they will become a hit with many elderly as well.

Old January 16th 05, 08:28 PM
James C. Reeves

GM added stability control systems to make up for the lack of visability.
That way, had he clipped you, since he couldn't see you, he would have
remained in full control of his vehicle. Makes sense to me!! ;-)

Old January 16th 05, 08:28 PM
James C. Reeves

Old January 16th 05, 10:53 PM
Max

Scott en Aztlán a écrit :
> I was out driving yesterday (on Chapman heading eastbound, just past
> the offramp from the 55 freeway). An old geezer in a new Cadillac CTS
> flew off the off-ramp and cut across 3 lanes of traffic, almost taking
> off my front fender despite a warning blast from my horn.
>
> As I sat stuck behind Russell Weller Sr. at the stoplight, I noticed
> that the Cadillac CTS has high, slab sides and a low, "chopped"
> roofline, leaving relatively little glass area.
>
> http://www.cadillac.com/images/model...toExt1_med.jpg
>
> The visibility from inside one of those things must be at least
> somewhat limited if not downright poor.
>
> I think it's totally irresponsible of General Motors to design a
> vehicle with such poor visibility when the brand is so popular with
> elderly people. These old geezers have enough probels seeing as it is
> without their cars adding additional impairments.
>
> The Cadillac XLR
>
> http://www.cadillac.com/images/model...toExt3_med.jpg
>
> has similar problems. Although with the top down visibility is
> excellent, the top is going to be up when it's rainy or foggy - i.e.
> when visibility is at it's worst. I would expect the XLR's
> crash-and-burn rate to exceed that of the Corvette upon which it is
> based.

I've driven a CTS and didn't notice any visibilty trouble.

--
----------------------
http://www.saab-900.tk
Old January 16th 05, 10:53 PM
Max

Old January 16th 05, 10:53 PM
Max

Old January 16th 05, 10:53 PM
Max

Old January 17th 05, 04:41 PM
Paul

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message

> that doddering old fool too much

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think you just hit on the source of the problem....

Old January 17th 05, 04:41 PM
Paul

Old January 19th 05, 12:13 AM
Olaf Gustafson

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 21:17:51 GMT, "C.H." >
wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 08:55:15 -0800, Scott en Aztlán wrote:
>
>> I was out driving yesterday (on Chapman heading eastbound, just past
>> the offramp from the 55 freeway). An old geezer in a new Cadillac CTS
>> flew off the off-ramp and cut across 3 lanes of traffic, almost taking
>> off my front fender despite a warning blast from my horn.

>In other words, he was driving like just about any other geezer.
>
>> As I sat stuck behind Russell Weller Sr. at the stoplight, I noticed
>> that the Cadillac CTS has high, slab sides and a low, "chopped"
>> roofline, leaving relatively little glass area.

>> http://www.cadillac.com/images/model...toExt1_med.jpg
>>
>> The visibility from inside one of those things must be at least
>> somewhat limited if not downright poor.

>I sat in both the CTS-V and the 300C at the auto show. The visibility in
>both is not any worse than in the competition. That there is a bit missing
>at the top and the bottom is only really relevant if you are either trying
>to spot aircraft

Low flying aircraft, right?