Finally!

Old July 25th 05, 02:11 AM
JohnH

Default Finally!

They are finally replacing all the crappy concrete highways which have
plagued our city (Richmond VA) for decades with asphalt! I am sure someone
must have blown someone to have gotten that horrible concrete **** put down
in the first place.

The crews working all night every night patching holes in that crap will
finally be a thing of the past.

Thank goodness, the roads are finally decent to use.

Old July 25th 05, 03:18 AM
Old Wolf

JohnH wrote:
> They are finally replacing all the crappy concrete highways which have
> plagued our city (Richmond VA) for decades with asphalt! I am sure someone
> must have blown someone to have gotten that horrible concrete **** put down
> in the first place.
>
> The crews working all night every night patching holes in that crap will
> finally be a thing of the past.

Is asphalt actually more durable than chip-seal?
(Most roads in my country are chip-seal -- I can't imagine
any serious stretch of road just being pure concrete, it is
too flimsy and slippery).

> Thank goodness, the roads are finally decent to use.

Certainly a lot quieter to drive on, and easier to see the
road markings.

In primary school, one of the old hag teachers used "the asphalt"
to refer to the concreted play area (there was actually no asphalt).
It was really annoying.

Old July 25th 05, 06:10 AM
Paul.

On 24 Jul 2005 19:18:06 -0700, Old Wolf , said the following in
rec.autos.driving...

> JohnH wrote:
> > They are finally replacing all the crappy concrete highways which have
> > plagued our city (Richmond VA) for decades with asphalt! I am sure someone
> > must have blown someone to have gotten that horrible concrete **** put down
> > in the first place.
> >
> > The crews working all night every night patching holes in that crap will
> > finally be a thing of the past.

> Is asphalt actually more durable than chip-seal?
> (Most roads in my country are chip-seal -- I can't imagine
> any serious stretch of road just being pure concrete, it is
> too flimsy and slippery).

Believe it or not, but there are a couple of stretches of 95 down here
that are the original cement (not sure if its chip-seal or something
else) that was poured almost 30 years ago and has stood up quite well
inspite of harsh summer sun every year and ever increasing traffic loads.

Its going to be a damn shame to see that surface go when they widen that
stretch to 6 lanes in the next few years...

<snip>

--
Paul

Self-appointed unofficial overseer of kooks
and trolls in rec.autos.driving.
Old July 25th 05, 06:41 AM
Laura Bush murdered her boy friend

JohnH wrote:
> They are finally replacing all the crappy concrete highways which have
> plagued our city (Richmond VA) for decades with asphalt! I am sure someone
> must have blown someone to have gotten that horrible concrete **** put down
> in the first place.
>
> The crews working all night every night patching holes in that crap will
> finally be a thing of the past.
>
> Thank goodness, the roads are finally decent to use.

Concrete lasts a lot longer than asphalt. Watch your taxes go up now.
A better solution would have been to keep the concrete and lower the
speed limits. If everyone did under 30 mph in the city, concrete would
last forever and the reduction in crashes because of the lower speeds
would also save the taxpayer a bundle.

Old July 25th 05, 02:05 PM
JohnH

> Believe it or not, but there are a couple of stretches of 95 down here
> that are the original cement (not sure if its chip-seal or something
> else) that was poured almost 30 years ago and has stood up quite well
> inspite of harsh summer sun every year and ever increasing traffic
> loads.
>
> Its going to be a damn shame to see that surface go when they widen
> that stretch to 6 lanes in the next few years...

Which portion of 95 are you talking about?

They either used a different company / technique, or you must enjoy the
constant BAH-DUMP BAH-DUMP of hitting those damn seams every 50 feet, and
the loud whine tires make on it.

Old July 25th 05, 02:08 PM
JohnH

> Concrete lasts a lot longer than asphalt.

No suprise you hare dead wrong.

The concrete around here only provided job security for the patching
company. Thankfully they are being shut down.

> Watch your taxes go up now.

Far better that that than a tool booth.

> A better solution would have been to keep the concrete and lower the
> speed limits. If everyone did under 30 mph in the city, concrete would
> last forever and the reduction in crashes because of the lower speeds
> would also save the taxpayer a bundle.

This is not a city road; these are interstates.

Old July 25th 05, 03:36 PM
Ted B.

"JohnH" > wrote in message

>> Concrete lasts a lot longer than asphalt.

> No suprise you hare dead wrong.

Actually, concrete does last a lot longer than asphalt. Asphalt is used
because it is cheaper (in the SHORT term), quieter, and easier to
atch. -Dave

Old July 25th 05, 03:59 PM
JohnH

Ted B. wrote:
> "JohnH" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Concrete lasts a lot longer than asphalt.

>> No suprise you are dead wrong.
>>

> Actually, concrete does last a lot longer than asphalt. Asphalt is
> used because it is cheaper (in the SHORT term), quieter, and easier to
> atch. -Dave

I have heard this repeatedly, and my experience with it has shown quite the
opposite. Perhaps the stuff works better in other parts of the world; it
has most definitely been a disaster here.

Old July 25th 05, 05:08 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, JohnH wrote:

> > Actually, concrete does last a lot longer than asphalt. Asphalt is
> > used because it is cheaper (in the SHORT term)

> I have heard this repeatedly, and my experience with it has shown quite
> the opposite. Perhaps the stuff works better in other parts of the
> world; it has most definitely been a disaster here.

It's more to do with what corners get cut by the low-bid contractor,
regardless of whether it's inferior concrete or inferior asphalt that's
being used.
Old July 25th 05, 07:58 PM
Paul.

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:05:01 -0400, JohnH , said the following in
rec.autos.driving...

> > Believe it or not, but there are a couple of stretches of 95 down here
> > that are the original cement (not sure if its chip-seal or something
> > else) that was poured almost 30 years ago and has stood up quite well
> > inspite of harsh summer sun every year and ever increasing traffic
> > loads.
> >
> > Its going to be a damn shame to see that surface go when they widen
> > that stretch to 6 lanes in the next few years...

> Which portion of 95 are you talking about?

Georgia, MM 37 to MM 40 is about all that is left.

> They either used a different company / technique, or you must enjoy the
> constant BAH-DUMP BAH-DUMP of hitting those damn seams every 50 feet, and
> the loud whine tires make on it.

The sounds from the seams doesn't bother me and there is no whine (at
least in my vehicles). Though there are some concrete stretches of 95 in
Jacksonville, FL on the Southside that were not too well done and the
bah-dump of the seams can be bad.