new key programming problems

Old July 19th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Default new key programming problems

Bill, I'm going to forward the PDF if you want to add it to your
collection...

STANDARD PROCEDURE

STANDARD PROCEDURE - SKIS

INITIALIZATION

The Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS) must

be initialized following a Sentry Key Immobilizer

Module (SKIM) replacement. SKIS initialization

requires the use of a DRBIIIt scan tool. Initialization

will also require that you have access to the unique

four-digit PIN code that was assigned to the original

SKIM. The PIN code must be used to enter the

Secured Access Mode in the SKIM. This PIN number

may be obtained from the vehicle owner, from the

original vehicle invoice, or from the DaimlerChrysler

Customer Center. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC

CONTROL MODULES - STANDARD PROCEDURE

- PCM/SKIM PROGRAMMING).

NOTE: If a Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is

replaced on a vehicle equipped with the Sentry Key

Immobilizer System (SKIS), the unique Secret Key

data must be transferred from the Sentry Key

Immobilizer Module (SKIM) to the new PCM using

the PCM replacement procedure. This procedure

also requires the use of a DRBIIIT scan tool and the

unique four-digit PIN code to enter the Secured

Access Mode in the SKIM. Refer to the appropriate

diagnostic information for the proper PCM replacement

procedures.

STANDARD PROCEDURE - SENTRY KEY

TRANSPONDER PROGRAMMING

All Sentry Keys included with the vehicle are preprogrammed

to work with the Sentry Key Immobilizer

System (SKIS) when it is shipped from the

factory. The Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM)

can be programmed to recognize up to a total of eight

Sentry Keys. When programming a blank Sentry Key

transponder, the key must first be cut to match the

ignition switch lock cylinde for which it will be used.

Once the additional key has been cut, the SKIM

must be programmed to recognize it as a valid key.

There are two possible methods to program the

SKIM to recognize a new or additional valid key, the

Secured Access Method and the Customer Learn

Method. Following are the details of these two programming

methods.

SECURED ACCESS METHOD

The Secured Access method applies to all vehicles.

This method requires the use of a DRBIIIt scan tool.

This method will also require that you have access to

the unique four-digit PIN code that was assigned to

the original SKIM. The PIN code must be used to

enter the Secured Access Mode in the SKIM. This

PIN number may be obtained from the vehicle owner,

from the original vehicle invoice, or from the

DaimlerChrysler Customer Center. Refer to the

appropriate diagnostic information for the proper

Secured Access method programming procedures.

CUSTOMER LEARN METHOD

The Customer Learn feature is only available on

domestic vehicles, or those vehicles which have a

U.S. country code designator. This programming

method also requires access to at least two valid Sentry

Keys. If two valid Sentry Keys are not available,

or if the vehicle does not have a U.S. country code

designator, the Secured Access Method must be used

to program new or additional valid keys to the SKIM.

The Customer Learn programming method procedures

are as follows:

(1) Obtain the blank Sentry Key(s) that are to be

programmed as valid keys for the vehicle. Cut the

blank key(s) to match the ignition switch lock cylinder

mechanical key codes.

(2) Insert one of the two valid Sentry Keys into the

ignition switch and turn the ignition switch to the

On position.

(3) After the ignition switch has been in the On

position for longer than three seconds, but no more

than fifteen seconds, cycle the ignition switch back to

the Off position. Replace the first valid Sentry Key in

the ignition switch lock cylinder with the second

valid Sentry Key and turn the ignition switch back to

the On position. The second valid Sentry Key must

be inserted in the lock cylinder within fifteen seconds

of removing the first valid key.

(4) About ten seconds after the completion of Step

3, the SKIS indicator in the instrument cluster will

start to flash and a single audible chime tone will

sound to indicate that the system has entered the

Customer Learn programming mode.

(5) Within sixty seconds of entering the Customer

Learn programming mode, turn the ignition switch to

the Off position, replace the valid Sentry Key with a

blank Sentry Key transponder, and turn the ignition

switch back to the On position.

(6) About ten seconds after the completion of Step

5, a single audible chime tone will sound and the

SKIS indicator will stop flashing, stay on solid for

three seconds, then turn off to indicate that the

blank Sentry Key has been successfully programmed.

The SKIS will immediately exit the Customer Learn

programming mode and the vehicle may now be

started using the newly programmed valid Sentry

Key.

Each of these steps must be repeated and completed

in their entirety for each additional Sentry

Key that is to be programmed. If the above steps are

not completed in the given sequence, or within the

allotted time, the SKIS will exit the Customer Learn

programming mode and the programming will be

unsuccessful. The SKIS will also automatically exit

the Customer Learn programming mode if it sees a

non-blank Sentry Key transponder when it should

see a blank, if it has already programmed eight (8)

valid Sentry Keys, or if the ignition switch is turned

to the Off position for more than about fifty seconds.

NOTE: If an attempt is made to start the vehicle

while in the Customer Learn mode (SKIS indicator

flashing), the SKIS will respond as though the vehicle

were being started with an invalid key. In other

words, the engine will stall after about two seconds

of operation. No faults will be set.

NOTE: Once a Sentry Key has been programmed as

a valid key to a vehicle, it cannot be programmed

as a valid key for use on any other vehicle.

Old July 20th 06, 10:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
toxicated101

Hi

Thanks for looking

I'm pretty sure that they are both transponder keys, they both start
the car, and the newly cut blank doesn't, well it does it just cuts out
after a few seconds. Yer I was thinking about the 8 key limit as well,
but I wouldn't have thought you would ever need to program 8 keys into
the system. I would take it to the dealer, but the whole point in
getting the 3rd key was to save my self that hassle if I ever lost a
key. I think I'll put the newly cut spare in a draw and take it to the
dealer if ever I loose a key.

I would imagine that its a computer programming job to remove the 8
keys previously stored, does anybody know what the system actually does
if it has already 8 keys programmed, does it just ignore you or does it
flash some light to let you know. I have followed the steps several
times , with my seat belt on/off, doors open/closed, I've tried using
the 2 original keys in different orders.

Thanks again your all your help.

Matt

Old July 20th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Seahag

He does say that, I was assuming the Jeep shut down again
after a few seconds on the new key.

Seahag

Old July 20th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Seahag

I got 2 keys made the second time around too, for the same
reason. I still can't figure out how DH lost the one tho!
I expect it'll turn up somewhere in the office when he
moves.
Seahag

Old July 23rd 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dave Milne[_2_]

A non transponder key will also start your Jeep (but the sentry system that
will cut it after a 3 seconds).

Dave Milne, Scotland.

Old July 24th 06, 05:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

In his programming there is no indication of successful programming (lamp
flashing or beeps) and the stalling after a couple seconds might indicate a
non-transponder key

You can have most any locksmith check to see if it is a transponder key...
all they do is stick the key into a 'black box' that checks for the presence
of the transponder. This is totally independent on their ability to program
the key.

This is the guy I got my keys from. His shipping is very slow but he had
the best prices and they are Jeep branded keys instead of some generic key
company.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3901%26fvi%3D1

news

Old July 26th 06, 11:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
toxicated101

Hi Guys

I'm sure the new key has a transponder, I know the old keys do
otherwise the car wouldn't keep running. The new key came sealed in a
bag with instructions on how to program. Also If it was the new key
that didn't have a transponder then the vehicle should still go into
programming mode (flashing light and beep). Like I said the two
original keys start and allow you to drive the car (that is they keep
the engine running).

I guess the unit is up to its eight limit, something is faulty or the
two original keys are maybe identical and thus the car doesn't know the
difference between the first and second key so doesn't allow
programming.

It doesn't really matter either way if I ever loose one I will have to
go to the dealer. I've never lost a car key before , so hopefully I'm
not going to start.

Thanks

Matt