use of unleaded petrol in old Nissan van

Old April 20th 04, 07:35 PM
pete

Default use of unleaded petrol in old Nissan van

Hi, I have a 1976 Nissan E20 van (very similar to the Urvan) and for
years I have been putting in lead replacement petrol but now that it
is increasingly difficult to find LRP in the UK, and some people have
said that the old Nissans were designed to take unleaded from a very
early stage, I have just been filling up with unleaded petrol. Is it
wishful thinking to expect this to do no harm?
Old April 20th 04, 11:34 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, pete wrote:

> Hi, I have a 1976 Nissan E20 van (very similar to the Urvan) and for
> years I have been putting in lead replacement petrol but now that it is
> increasingly difficult to find LRP in the UK, and some people have said
> that the old Nissans were designed to take unleaded from a very early
> stage, I have just been filling up with unleaded petrol. Is it wishful
> thinking to expect this to do no harm?

Suddenly, it's 1980.

The UK was very, very, very slow to join the rest of the modern world in
deciding that nonleaded petrol was a good idea. The rest of the world
began making that decision in the early-mid '70s. In the US, all engines
were required to be unleaded-tolerant for the 1972 model year, and there
were similar requirements in Japan.

Your engine will be fine. Use nonleaded petrol of sufficient octane to
prevent pinking and drive it til it needs a valve job, if it ever does.

DS

Nissan Armada Forum m4ck Dodge 2 January 18th 05 03:16 AM
ClubTitan.org Nissan Titan Owners Club (a real truck) m4ck Dodge 0 October 24th 04 05:37 PM
petrol prices Tom Alfa Romeo 5 June 2nd 04 09:45 PM
Nissan Patrol aniram 4x4 6 March 4th 04 09:20 PM