Engine & fuel sys. question

Old November 6th 04, 07:30 PM
Jerritt

Default Engine & fuel sys. question

I was planning on switching in a 1.8l into my 84' Jetta(has 1.7l
CIS-Lambda now).

I have seen for sale locally an 87' 1.8l Golf engine. The guy is not
home now so I cannot get the engine code.

My questions a

What fuel system did the 1.8l engine have in the 87' Golf?

Were there different 1.8l's in the 87' Golf?

Would a GX 1.8l go into my car w/o any additional mods?

Would any of them require the knock sensor ignition?

and
Were any CIS systems put onto engines with knock sensor ignition from
factory?

Thanks in advance
Old November 6th 04, 08:47 PM
Darryl

If you use the tranny from the '87, you'll be missing the proper
mounts if I recall correctly. Or is that vice versa?

Old November 7th 04, 02:39 AM
Randolph

Jerritt wrote:

> I was planning on switching in a 1.8l into my 84' Jetta(has 1.7l
> CIS-Lambda now).

<snip>

> Were any CIS systems put onto engines with knock sensor ignition from
> factory?

Yes. My '87 California GTi had CIS-e (KE-jetronic) and a knock sensor.
Old November 7th 04, 12:42 PM
-= Roy =-

"dave" wrote:
> (installed an 86 GTi engine in an 88 Cabriolet)
> later,
> dave

I had an 91 GTi engine from a Golf type II built in a type I 89 cabriolet
The air intake is a bit short of space, ( the JH engine had the air intake
on drivers side, the PB on the passengers side).
With a bit of extra enginering this engine is forced up to about 140 hp.

That VAG stuff reminds me of LEGO, allmost everything fits and if it doesn't
fit immediately it can easily be made to fit.

Roy