1993 TD Timing belt

Old November 5th 04, 06:35 PM
George

Default 1993 TD Timing belt

Hi all, i have replaced my timing belt after getting some headwork done, it
all runs well but the timing belt seems to be sliding off the injection
pump sprocket. I made sure that the belt was tight, as I sid the car runs
great but I am woried that that belt will come off and ..... :-(

Thanks, George
Old November 6th 04, 12:09 PM
Jo Bo

And when it does your in big time trouble. You must live in the US as we
didn't get VW diesels after 92 untill the passat tdi in 96 and few of them.
But if yours is the older, non tdi, one then check the pump mounting
bracket. As I recall there was problems with that back in the rabbit days.
Also could the mounting stud the tenioner is mounted on possibly have gotten
bent when the head was off?

JoBo

Old November 6th 04, 05:33 PM
George

The only part where the timing belt seems to be sliding off is at the pump,
I have now put 200km on the car and where the belt should be in the middle
of the sprocket it is about 1mm over the edge of the sprocket. I did loosen
the tention in the belt and move the belt ot the correct position and with
in a few revolutions of the engine it goes out on the edge again. What
could be wrong with the pump bracket?

Thanks, George.

Old November 6th 04, 05:35 PM
Woodchuck

Some of them old TDI's the belt would ride close to the edge but not over.
Where does the belt ride on the camshaft sprocket?

Old November 6th 04, 05:45 PM
George

mine is a turbo diesel not a TDI :-( , but it rides in the proper place on
the cam sprocket

George.