Who Needs a Hybrid???

Old September 14th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire[_2_]

Default Who Needs a Hybrid???

wrote:
> > > I'm having a hard time comparing the current costs of a salvaged 1983 car
> > > verses a 2006 car.

> > Current Investment
> > ? Less than $1K total investment + my sweat equity
> > Features:
> > ? A/C
> > ? Simpler components reasonably easy to reach/work on
> > ? No friggin' power steering
> > ? Used look = Less attraction to thieves etc.
> > ? Goes down the road 70-80 mph nicely

> A friend who did an extreme amount of driving became convinced that the
> best dollar value was a used taxicab. They didn't look very good, which is
> one of the features you listed. They had A/C, and power steering, don't
> know why you wouldn't want that, unless you consider it a potential repair
> problem.

If someone needs power steering on a 1,900 lb car, they have a serious problem.

> If something bad happened, he just parked it in front of a wrecking yard if
> it was still drivable, and bought another one.
>
> I don't think he ever even changed oil.
>
> > ? 42+ MPG

> Probably not, but he had less invested than you, and no sweat equity.
> I think he comes out ahead.
>
> No worries about collision insurance, or the loss of a prized vehicle.

Ah, but I do have insurance and a good running gen2 will bring $2,500
any day of the week on eBay, especially one from rust free Texas...

JT
Old September 14th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire[_2_]

Elle wrote:

> "Grumpy AuContraire" > wrote
> > Current Investment
> > . Less than $1K total investment + my sweat equity
> > . Breezed through inspection
> > . Consumables such as gas & oil
> >
> > Features:
> > . A/C

> Bum.

All I had to do to get it going was replace the receiver dryer, flush
the evaporator (the condenser is new --- $15 on ebay), add a return line
filter to protect the compressor and yep, it took the R-134 and is cool
as can be.

I love it!!!

> ;-)
>
> > . Simpler components reasonably easy to reach/work on
> > . No friggin' power steering
> > . Used look = Less attraction to thieves etc.
> > \ . Goes down the road 70-80 mph nicely
> > . 42+ MPG
> >
> > Advantages:
> > . No payments
> > . Low insurance
> > . Generally cheap parts

> . More money left over to give to charities. :-)

Especially when charity begins at home...

<G>

JT

(Who is about to spiff up another $200 '82 Civic DX just purchased for a
quick eBay turn...)
Old September 14th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad[_1_]

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 02:15:53 GMT, Grumpy AuContraire > wrote:

>If someone needs power steering on a 1,900 lb car, they have a serious problem.

It depends on the car. I had a '76 toyota corona 'wagon' w/out assist whose
steering wheel could only be turned while the car was rolling.

Do you have some bizzare notion that a 3000 lb. car can absolutely need power
steering, but a 2000 lb. never needs it? It's only a 30% difference.

Old September 14th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire[_2_]

AZ Nomad wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 02:15:53 GMT, Grumpy AuContraire > wrote:
>
> >If someone needs power steering on a 1,900 lb car, they have a serious problem.

> It depends on the car. I had a '76 toyota corona 'wagon' w/out assist whose
> steering wheel could only be turned while the car was rolling.
>
> Do you have some bizzare notion that a 3000 lb. car can absolutely need power
> steering, but a 2000 lb. never needs it? It's only a 30% difference.

Why would one turn a steering wheel if one is not going anywhere?

JT
Old September 14th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad[_1_]

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 16:33:20 GMT, Grumpy AuContraire > wrote:

>AZ Nomad wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 02:15:53 GMT, Grumpy AuContraire > wrote:
>>
>> >If someone needs power steering on a 1,900 lb car, they have a serious problem.

>> It depends on the car. I had a '76 toyota corona 'wagon' w/out assist whose
>> steering wheel could only be turned while the car was rolling.
>>
>> Do you have some bizzare notion that a 3000 lb. car can absolutely need power
>> steering, but a 2000 lb. never needs it? It's only a 30% difference.

>Why would one turn a steering wheel if one is not going anywhere?

Parking.
Old September 14th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Art[_1_]

I had 2 83 tercel 4WD wagons. They did not have power steering. They
needed it. They also needed a bigger engine and decent brakes.

Old September 14th 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

My honda hybrid always get atleast 45 mpg, sometimes closer to 50 in
the winter. http://www.safelotvegas.com/index.php

Old September 15th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire[_2_]

AZ Nomad wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 16:33:20 GMT, Grumpy AuContraire > wrote:
>
> >AZ Nomad wrote:

> >> It depends on the car. I had a '76 toyota corona 'wagon' w/out assist whose
> >> steering wheel could only be turned while the car was rolling.
> >>
> >> Do you have some bizzare notion that a 3000 lb. car can absolutely need power
> >> steering, but a 2000 lb. never needs it? It's only a 30% difference.

> >Why would one turn a steering wheel if one is not going anywhere?

> Parking.

You still have to move the car to park...

JT
Old September 15th 06, 02:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire[_2_]

wrote:

> My honda hybrid always get atleast 45 mpg, sometimes closer to 50 in
> the winter.
http://www.safelotvegas.com/index.php
> Grumpy AuContraire wrote:
> > My ancient '83 Civic just runs better and better. Today's fill up -
> > 41.2 mpg for mixed driving...
> >
> > JT

Tell me your total cost per mile...

JT
Old September 15th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ACAR[_1_]

Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

> Tell me your total cost per mile...
>
> JT

Tell me why I should accept your argument that cost/mile is the single
most important aspect of driving.