1969 Pontiac Interior Restoration: Any Asbestos?

Old February 5th 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.autos.misc

Default 1969 Pontiac Interior Restoration: Any Asbestos?

Hi.

I have a 1969 Pontiac LeMans convertible that needs some
work, especially the interior. When removing the back bench
seat, I see that the inside is stuffed with some kind of material
that looks like loose attic insulation. It is very soft and fluffy,
and the color is a cross between gray, white and tan, but looks
like it was probably white when new. Feels like a wad of cotton.
It seems to be the original factory material.

Any chance that this could contain asbestos? I tried to burn a
handful of this stuff, and the outer layer flamed briefly, but it
would not catch fire. Does anyone know what GM was stuffing
their seats with back in '69? Could there be asbestos anywhere
else in the car's interior? I definitely want to find out before I
begin restoration. I called Pontiac's vintage division and the guy
told me that he was not aware of any asbestos in the interior,
but he didn't sound very sure.

Thanks for your help.

Robert

PROTOTYPE 1967 PONTIAC 400 HEADS-CAST#061-EBAY-ONE CENT ! 66fourdoor Ford Mustang 0 January 13th 06 01:07 PM
Saturn vs Pontiac marx404 Saturn 16 April 5th 05 02:22 AM
2000 Pontiac Montana please help Dan Rzonca Technology 3 February 16th 05 04:02 PM
FS: 1997 Rob Atchison Pontiac Firebird "FUNNYCAR" Promo Sheet J.R. Sinclair General 0 March 3rd 04 05:46 AM
1969 Plymouth Valiant for $10 Peanutjake Antique cars 3 October 17th 03 10:25 PM