Infiniti Q45 oil pan removal procedure

Old December 16th 04, 04:18 PM
Dave Stone

N. Harriet wrote:

> Do you know how to drop a 1993 Infiniti Q45 oil pan?
>
> A biker dropped his pannier in front of me on the freeway.
> After dragging the saddlebag for 100 yards, I ran out of oil.
> Turns out I gouged and dented my Q45 oilpan beyond repair.
> I went down below but can't figure out how to drop that oil pan.
> So much heavy duty suspension stuff seems to be in the way.
>
> Anyone have a description of what the steps are?
> How long is the shop rating?

hey, my friend is looking at getting one of these and I stumbled across
this link which you might find of use:

http://www.nissaninfiniticlub.com/zerothread?id=77266
Old December 18th 04, 12:22 AM
Cdon

> I stumbled across this link which you might find of use:
http://www.nissaninfiniticlub.com/zerothread?id=77266

Better to use the http://www.nicoclub.com link than the older outdated
http://www.nissaninfiniticlub.com link which is no longer maintained
nor supported.

Your same link translates to
http://www.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=77266 for that verrrrry complete
oil pan article by Tangalora (who is famous for her detailed step by
step how tos on the nico web site).

She also has how tos on redesigning the Q45 sunvisor, redesigning the
fuel pump control unit, doing a complete front and rear brake job
including checking runout, replacing antennas, replacing the timing
chains, and I think a host of others as I don't remember them all.
Good luck!

Old December 24th 04, 07:31 AM
J. S. Miller

In article .com>, "Cdon"
> wrote:
>Better to use the http://www.nicoclub.com link

I just replaced my fuel pump and soldered a new wire on my fuel pump control
unit saving about 500 dollars in parts and about 500 dollars in labor at the
local rates here (@100 dollars an hour).

Those Infiniti Q45 fuel pump repair instructions on that web site just saved
me a thousand bucks!

Now I'm going to replace my plenum, spark plugs, and chain guides next (all of
which are 10 hour jobs each).
Old December 26th 04, 10:45 PM
stuart8181

How in the world could a fuel pump replacement be 5 hours in time cost???
m...

Old December 29th 04, 08:31 AM
q45yesman

stuart8181 wrote:
> How in the world could a Q45 fuel pump replacement take 5 hours?

For the complete Q45 fuel pump removal and replacement procedures, see
http://www.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=6268

Basically the early model Q45 fuel pumps go slowly at around 100K
miles.
You can tell when its going bad as it begins to hum.
If you ever hear a Q45 fuel pump then you should replace it
IMMEDIATELY!
While the Q45 fuel pump is humming, its slowly frying the fpcu.
The fuel pump is about 250 dollars.
The fuel pump control unit costs much more.
If you just replace the fuel pump, the degraded fpcu will fry the new
pump.
You will be caught in a vicious cycle (about six months in duration).
When the fpcu finally goes, the Q45 stops dead in its tracks (well, it
rolls).
Therefore, think of the fuel pump and the fpcu as an integrated unit.

So part of any good Q45 fuel pump job consists of repairing the fpcu.
You can ONLY remove the early Q45 fuel pump & fpcu by removing the back
seat.
Yet you must access the fuel pump & components from the cargo area.

In the cargo area, remove the passenger siding near the antenna.
Test & replace the fuel pump relay (bolted next to the rear antenna).
The relay is the green one (not the blue relay as often reported).
>From the cargo area, remove the siding in front of the fuel tank.

Follow the shop manual procedures for testing fuel pump & fpcu
operation.
Inspect all fuel lines and harness connections (replace if necessary).
Remove the brackets holding the fuel pump fuel lines in place.

>From the back seat, you generally remove the rear seat belts.

Then remove the rear seat bench.
Remove the rear arm rest storage bin.
Remove the rear seat back.
Remove the rear third stop light.
Remove the rear sundeck.
Remove the rear package binnacle.
Scrape away the black sound proofing tar above the fpcu.
Remove the fuel pump control unit brackets and remove the fpcu.
Remove the cover to the fuel pump control unit taking static
precautions.
Check all wiring and electrical contacts on your electrical bench.
Most likely you'll need to solder supporting wires as shown on nico.
After adding support wires to the fpcu, test again on your bench.

Back in the cargo area position yourself on your side facing forward.
Remove the fuel pump out the hole left by the rear package binnacle.
Inspect the gas tank for rust or other contaminants.
If contaminated, drop the gas tank and flush or repair accordingly.

On your shop bench, remove all brackets, fittings, and hoses from the
fp.
Replace those brackets hoses and filters onto the new fuel pump.
Replace the fuel pump o ring in the Q45 gasoline tank.
Bolt the new fuel pump onto the tank (going in the same way it came
out).
Reassemble cargo & rear seat components in the reverse order of
assembly.

How long would it take you to do this Q45 fuel pump replacement
correctly?

Old December 30th 04, 12:07 AM
Alessandro Crugnola

On 29 Dec 2004 00:31:50 -0800, q45yesman wrote:

> stuart8181 wrote:
>> How in the world could a Q45 fuel pump replacement take 5 hours?

> For the complete Q45 fuel pump removal and replacement procedures, see
> http://www.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=6268

I must do that in less than hour if best done.