Cleaning Dry Crumbly Grease Out of a Ball Joint

Old May 21st 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Calvin

Default Cleaning Dry Crumbly Grease Out of a Ball Joint

I went to give my new-to-me truck its first shots of grease since I
bought it. I had some trouble with the passenger side lower ball
joint in that it seems that the grease doesn't have any oil left. I
couldn't get any grease into the joint so I removed the zerk to find
it plugged up with a dry crumbly crud that has the texture of
topsoil. I cleared the zerk with a dowel and some mineral spirits but
still couldn't get any grease into the joint because it looks like the
whole joint is full of the same crud.

The joint seems to still be in good condition and I would like to keep
it that way. Does anyone know of a way to flush out the old dry
grease from the joint without taking it off of the truck? Do you
think I could hose it out with brake cleaner without hurting anything?

Thanks - Calvin

Old May 22nd 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
pAuL

Calvin wrote:

> I went to give my new-to-me truck its first shots of grease since I
> bought it. I had some trouble with the passenger side lower ball
> joint in that it seems that the grease doesn't have any oil left. I
> couldn't get any grease into the joint so I removed the zerk to find
> it plugged up with a dry crumbly crud that has the texture of
> topsoil. I cleared the zerk with a dowel and some mineral spirits but
> still couldn't get any grease into the joint because it looks like the
> whole joint is full of the same crud.
>
> The joint seems to still be in good condition and I would like to keep
> it that way. Does anyone know of a way to flush out the old dry
> grease from the joint without taking it off of the truck? Do you
> think I could hose it out with brake cleaner without hurting anything?
>
> Thanks - Calvin

The ball joints that I have taken apart have been smooth with several
spiral grooves for grease.
You could try taking the weight off the ball joint and then greasing.
Or use a power greaser.
Old May 22nd 07, 04:40 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Rodan

Calvin wrote:

A lower ball joint on my truck is dry and I can't get any grease
into it. I removed the zerk and found it plugged with a dry
crumbly crud that has the texture of topsoil. I cleared the
zerk with a dowel and some mineral spirits but still couldn't
get any grease into the joint. It looks like the whole joint is
full of the same crud.

Does anyone know of a way to flush out the old dry grease
from the joint without taking it off of the truck? Could I hose
it out with brake cleaner without hurting anything?

If the joint has any movement at all, it has enough
clearance for a standard grease gun to force grease
into it. The zerk fitting may have its check ball
rusted frozen, or the grease gun used may be weak.

It is preferable to grease it without using solvent in
the joint, as the solvent dilutes the new grease and
prevents it from properly coating the mating surfaces.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Old May 22nd 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Calvin > wrote:
>I went to give my new-to-me truck its first shots of grease since I
>bought it. I had some trouble with the passenger side lower ball
>joint in that it seems that the grease doesn't have any oil left. I
>couldn't get any grease into the joint so I removed the zerk to find
>it plugged up with a dry crumbly crud that has the texture of
>topsoil. I cleared the zerk with a dowel and some mineral spirits but
>still couldn't get any grease into the joint because it looks like the
>whole joint is full of the same crud.

Try replacing the zerk completely. A good grease gun should put enough
pressure in there to displace even the hardest and crustiest gunk if the
zerk is clean and the ball isn't stuck.

>The joint seems to still be in good condition and I would like to keep
>it that way. Does anyone know of a way to flush out the old dry
>grease from the joint without taking it off of the truck? Do you
>think I could hose it out with brake cleaner without hurting anything?

Brake cleaner won't hurt the joint, but it might hurt you so use proper
face and eye protection if you're spraying it in there. But I doubt it
will really do any good. WD-40 might do better, and I wouldn't expect
much from that either.

Whatever you do, if you put a solvent in there, you need to get the solvent
out of there too, and that might involve pumping excessive grease into the
joint and then cleaning the residual stuff off.

Let me also put in a good word here for Mobil 1 grease, the maroon-colored
stuff. It seems to have better solvent action than lithium grease, and it
sticks to surfaces better too.
--scott
Old May 22nd 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Calvin

On May 22, 8:52 am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> Calvin > wrote:
> >I went to give my new-to-me truck its first shots of grease since I
> >bought it. I had some trouble with the passenger side lower ball
> >joint in that it seems that the grease doesn't have any oil left. I
> >couldn't get any grease into the joint so I removed the zerk to find
> >it plugged up with a dry crumbly crud that has the texture of
> >topsoil. I cleared the zerk with a dowel and some mineral spirits but
> >still couldn't get any grease into the joint because it looks like the
> >whole joint is full of the same crud.

> Try replacing the zerk completely. A good grease gun should put enough
> pressure in there to displace even the hardest and crustiest gunk if the
> zerk is clean and the ball isn't stuck.
>
> >The joint seems to still be in good condition and I would like to keep
> >it that way. Does anyone know of a way to flush out the old dry
> >grease from the joint without taking it off of the truck? Do you
> >think I could hose it out with brake cleaner without hurting anything?

> Brake cleaner won't hurt the joint, but it might hurt you so use proper
> face and eye protection if you're spraying it in there. But I doubt it
> will really do any good. WD-40 might do better, and I wouldn't expect
> much from that either.
>
> Whatever you do, if you put a solvent in there, you need to get the solvent
> out of there too, and that might involve pumping excessive grease into the
> joint and then cleaning the residual stuff off.
>
> Let me also put in a good word here for Mobil 1 grease, the maroon-colored
> stuff. It seems to have better solvent action than lithium grease, and it
> sticks to surfaces better too.
> --scott

I'm sure the zerk is clear because I used the gun to flush it out
before I reinstalled it. I'll try hitting it with WD40 to see if that
softens it up enough to push through. I got some of the Ford spec
Valvoline stuff because it has the moly; I didn't see any synthetics
at AZ when I was there. I'll let you know.

Calvin

97 xj Ball Joint MJG Jeep 6 March 29th 06 01:49 AM
Ball Joints - grease? Jon C Technology 4 October 2nd 05 06:08 PM
CV joint grease flung out - but boot is intact - '88 Voyager Lhead Chrysler 4 July 13th 05 04:48 AM
Molybdenum grease - same as CV joint grease? William Maslin VW water cooled 6 December 17th 04 04:58 PM
Ball Joint on Ion teem Saturn 0 June 25th 04 01:31 AM