Infiniti Q45 oil pan removal procedure

Old December 14th 04, 08:35 AM
N. Harriet

In article >, "Hagrinas Mivali" > wrote:

>q45yesman wrote:
>> I'd be very surprised if a 1993 is insured against collision & theft.

>I have a 1991 that's insured against collision and theft. I also have a
>$1000 deductible. The extra coverage cost very little.

Wow. I want to live in your state!

Even though I have a clean record, my insurance agent quoted over a thousand
dollars a year additional to cover the twelve year old Q45 for damage. Maybe
it's because I have twin driving age teenagers at home but it sure looked as
if the insurance company really didn't want to insure the vehicle and neither
did I once they quoted those yearly premiums.

The good news is that these Q45s are bullet proof. You just can't kill those
engines!
Old December 14th 04, 10:29 AM
q45yesman

>> The whole procedure is explained on the Nissan Infiniti Club site
>> www.nicoclub.com

> I just looked. That web site is awesome!
> More about Nissan and Infiniti cars that all of the usenet
> But I didn't find the oil pan removal procedure
> Do you have a better link?

It's there. Keep looking. Skip all the Nissan stuff.
Look near the bottom of the www.nicoclub.com web page.
Go directly to the "Infiniti Online Mechanic" section.
http://www.nicoclub.com/zeroforum?id=24
The Infiniti online mechanics there walk you through any repair.
These NICO technicians are open day & night 24/7 & don't cost a dime.
The home boys who post are of the best quality you can imagine.
The Q45 oil pan r&r & the Q45 chainguide r&r are all linked.
While the radiator is out of the Q45 - add a tranny cooler.
The OEM tranny cooler is as worthless as the OEM chainguides.
While you're there, everyone replaces the useless ATF cooler.
Everyone adds new steering rack bushings as you are already there.
Same with motor mounts as they attach the engine to the crossmember.
You'll almost certainly want to do a plenum job while you're there.
Also beef up the fuel pump control unit with a simple rewire.
Replace your speedometer voltmeter as they always seem to go.
Replenish your A/C and replace your Bose speakers under recall.
After these mandatory modifications your older Q45 lasts forever.
You get a 60 thousand dollar car for the sales tax on a new Q45.
It's all there on the www.nissaninfiniticlub.com web site.
All of us moved over from usenet and yahoo message boards ages ago.

Old December 14th 04, 10:43 AM
q45yesman

The Q45 olipan r&r is meticulously documented at www.nicoclub.com
http://www.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=77266

Old December 14th 04, 03:24 PM
Steve

q45yesman wrote:

> I'd be very surprised if a 1993 is insured against collision & theft.
>
> You need to drop the oil pan out the bottom.
> You do NOT need to remove the Q45 VH45DE engine.

<snip>

Wow. I wouldn'a thought it possible. A car sufficiently convoluted that
it makes service procedures for a Northstar Cadillac appear logical.
Old December 14th 04, 03:27 PM
Steve

N. Harriet wrote:

>>Shouldn't either his or your insurance cover this???

> If you see a guy with a helmet and Aerostitch on a big black BMW with only one
> saddlebag, tell him I'm looking for him. He owes me some money. Plus when he
> gets home, he's going to want all that stuff that must've been in that
> saddlebag (I found gray toshiba portable computer parts all over my engine and
> ladies underthings .. no kiddin).

I can see how the toshiba parts could have gotten all over the engines,
but how did they get on your ladies underthings?

(sorry, never can resist a grammatical joke...)

:-)

Old December 14th 04, 05:46 PM
Hagrinas Mivali

N. Harriet wrote:

>>> Shouldn't either his or your insurance cover this???

>> That depends on the insurance.

> All I have is liability. Nothing else.
> I didn't think anyone covers a car once it hit eight to ten years, do
> they?

Absolutely, but you have to weigh the cost against the benefits. Once the
book value sinks, it's often not worth it. A typical 10 year old car is
worth $1-2000. If you want something affordable, you need a high deductible.
If you have insurance for a $1000 car with a $1000 deductible, then in
theory, you would never collect, because the car would be considered totaled
if the damage exceeds book value. If it's worth $2000, and insurance cost an
extra $300/year, then unless you think there's a 1 in 3 chance of a serious
accident, it's still not worth it. Since insurance companies never pay more
than what a car is worth, it could be considered totalled if somebody steals
a radio.

I live in an area of the US where cars are expensive, and so is insurance.
But comprehensive is about $50, and collision is about $80. My book value
is close to $6000, and my insurance company is pretty good at paying what it
would cost me to get a similar vehicle in my area.

I don't know what it costs to have a dealer replace an oil pan, but I know
it can cost $300-400 to have a simple hose replaced under some
circumstances. If this happened to me, I'd still be out at most $1000, but
I suspect that the part that the insurance company would pay would be
greater than my comprehensive payments.

If there were another driver involved and he was responsible, then he would
have to pay. But if he had no insurance, then my "uninsured motor vehicle
property damage" insurance would cover that. That cost me $3.65 on my
policy. In theory, the insurance company would still go after the other
person, but it would not be my problem.

Even without insurance, if you know who the other person is, he's probably
responsible. There's always small claims court.

Old December 14th 04, 05:58 PM
Hagrinas Mivali

N. Harriet wrote:
> In article >, "Hagrinas Mivali"
> > wrote:
>>

>> q45yesman wrote:
>>> I'd be very surprised if a 1993 is insured against collision &
>>> theft.

>> I have a 1991 that's insured against collision and theft. I also
>> have a $1000 deductible. The extra coverage cost very little.

> Wow. I want to live in your state!

Insurance is cheap in my state only if you have a clean record. Otherwise,
it's very expensive.

Teenagers can drive up rates, especially if they are boys. In my state,
driving record, miles driven, and number of years driving are all factors.
Age alone, sex, or zip code are not supposed to be factors -- if your area
has many accidents but you don't, then why should you pay more? But in other
states, sex and age are factors too. When I was growing up, many women of
my mom's generation did not drive. Women paid less for insurance. When I
got my license, my household had two male drivers under 25. That made one
of us the primary driver for one vehicle. So my mom got a license. She
never drove again, but it kept our insurance down.

Old December 14th 04, 06:07 PM
Hagrinas Mivali

E. Meyer wrote:
> On 12/13/04 3:32 PM, in article ,
> "Hagrinas Mivali" > wrote:
>

>> AZGuy wrote:
>>> On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:52:10 GMT,
(N. Harriet)

>>> Shouldn't either his or your insurance cover this???

>> That depends on the insurance. The other guy's insurance should
>> cover this, assuming he has insurance, and his identity is known. If
>> not, it could be covered by uninsured motorist property damage or
>> comprehensive, depending on the circumstances, if that type of
>> coverage exists.
>>

> Depends where you live. Here in Texas the law is very clear that
> anything you hit is your own fault, not the fault of the guy who
> dropped it ahead of you. So, if you live here, it will be a claim
> against your own insurance.

It's not that way where I live. In some cases, I was surprised at the
rules. If you hit an animal here, it's always covered by comprehensive, for
example. I can see why it should not be your fault if a deer jumps out of
nowhere, or if you hit a boulder that rolled off a hill right in front of
you, but I had assumed it would depend a lot more on the circumstances.
Also, glass damage is always out of comprehensive here, no matter what
caused the damage. (There may be some fine print saying that if you break it
on purpose, they won't pay, but it's almost always true.)

Such laws often depend little on what's right or wrong but on which party
controls the legislature. If something is unavoidable, it cannot reasonably
be your fault. But if big business comes ahead of consumer rights, then
that's the price you pay.

I suppose that one could argue that if you are keeping a safe following
distance, then if you slam on your brakes when you see something flying, you
will not hit it. The insurance of the person who hits you will pay for
damage to your car when you get rear ended, and your basic medical bills
will be paid for, but nobody will pay for your life of pain.

Old December 14th 04, 06:09 PM
Hagrinas Mivali

Steve wrote:
> q45yesman wrote:
>
>> I'd be very surprised if a 1993 is insured against collision & theft.
>>
>> You need to drop the oil pan out the bottom.
>> You do NOT need to remove the Q45 VH45DE engine.

> <snip>
>
> Wow. I wouldn'a thought it possible. A car sufficiently convoluted
> that it makes service procedures for a Northstar Cadillac appear
> logical.

The Q45 is the only vehicle I know of that sends techicians' heads spining
when they have to figure out how to change the oil.