Which pad is "better?" Ceramic or semi-metallic?

Old January 17th 12, 11:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default Which pad is "better?" Ceramic or semi-metallic?

Looking for experiences... Used ceramic on last brake job and am very
happy with them. Need to buy brakes for another vehicle tomorrow, and
when I called the parts store the guy said that semi-metallic were
noisier and dustier but "would handle the heat better" if I were to use
a vehicle for towing/hauling (which is, coincidentally, entirely
possible.) My previous impression was that ceramics were supposed to be
better all around, including heat resistance. Not so?

Only reason I didn't pick up stuff right away is that apparently there
are two options for rotors and there's no way to tell which I need until
I get the vehicle back (it's at the shop that I dropped it off at for an
inspection and oil change, and they haven't got to the oil change yet...
and I'm happier leaving it there than in front of the house, because
there's apparently a cop that wanders the neighborhood that would love
nothing better than to write a ticket for no inspection sticker) and all
the options are in stock at my FLAPS anyway, so I can just get home from
work, throw the vehicle up in the air, pull a rotor, and then go to the
parts store.

thanks,

Nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old January 18th 12, 11:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Jan 17, 6:18*pm, Nate Nagel > wrote:
> Looking for experiences... *Used ceramic on last brake job and am very
> happy with them. *Need to buy brakes for another vehicle tomorrow, and
> when I called the parts store the guy said that semi-metallic were
> noisier and dustier but "would handle the heat better" if I were to use
> a vehicle for towing/hauling (which is, coincidentally, entirely
> possible.) *My previous impression was that ceramics were supposed to be
> better all around, including heat resistance. *Not so?
>
> Only reason I didn't pick up stuff right away is that apparently there
> are two options for rotors and there's no way to tell which I need until
> I get the vehicle back (it's at the shop that I dropped it off at for an
> inspection and oil change, and they haven't got to the oil change yet...
> and I'm happier leaving it there than in front of the house, because
> there's apparently a cop that wanders the neighborhood that would love
> nothing better than to write a ticket for no inspection sticker) and all
> the options are in stock at my FLAPS anyway, so I can just get home from
> work, throw the vehicle up in the air, pull a rotor, and then go to the
> parts store.
>
> thanks,
>
> Nate
>
> --
> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

ceramic pads are harder and have less dust. If the ceramic pads aren't
that much higher than the semi-met pads go for it
Old January 18th 12, 12:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 01/18/2012 06:46 AM, m6onz5a wrote:
> On Jan 17, 6:18 pm, Nate > wrote:
>> Looking for experiences... Used ceramic on last brake job and am very
>> happy with them. Need to buy brakes for another vehicle tomorrow, and
>> when I called the parts store the guy said that semi-metallic were
>> noisier and dustier but "would handle the heat better" if I were to use
>> a vehicle for towing/hauling (which is, coincidentally, entirely
>> possible.) My previous impression was that ceramics were supposed to be
>> better all around, including heat resistance. Not so?
>>
>> Only reason I didn't pick up stuff right away is that apparently there
>> are two options for rotors and there's no way to tell which I need until
>> I get the vehicle back (it's at the shop that I dropped it off at for an
>> inspection and oil change, and they haven't got to the oil change yet...
>> and I'm happier leaving it there than in front of the house, because
>> there's apparently a cop that wanders the neighborhood that would love
>> nothing better than to write a ticket for no inspection sticker) and all
>> the options are in stock at my FLAPS anyway, so I can just get home from
>> work, throw the vehicle up in the air, pull a rotor, and then go to the
>> parts store.
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Nate
>>
>> --
>> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

> ceramic pads are harder and have less dust. If the ceramic pads aren't
> that much higher than the semi-met pads go for it

They're within 10 dollars, really just looking for a reality check on
the statement that they don't handle heat as well as SM.

Although I might just order some Performance Friction "carbon metallic"
and be done with it, they're actually cheaper online than any of the
parts store stuff. Then I'm running the risk of being porked though for
not having a valid inspection for a couple days...

nate

Old January 18th 12, 01:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
no way

Semi metallic. Ceramic are "too hard". After a while you'll experience
hard pedal and they mess the rotors up.
Old January 18th 12, 05:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AD[_2_]

On Jan 18, 2:22*pm, Nate Nagel > wrote:
> On 01/18/2012 06:46 AM, m6onz5a wrote:
>

> > On Jan 17, 6:18 pm, Nate > *wrote:
> >> Looking for experiences... *Used ceramic on last brake job and am very
> >> happy with them. *Need to buy brakes for another vehicle tomorrow, and
> >> when I called the parts store the guy said that semi-metallic were
> >> noisier and dustier but "would handle the heat better" if I were to use
> >> a vehicle for towing/hauling (which is, coincidentally, entirely
> >> possible.) *My previous impression was that ceramics were supposed to be
> >> better all around, including heat resistance. *Not so?

> >> Only reason I didn't pick up stuff right away is that apparently there
> >> are two options for rotors and there's no way to tell which I need until
> >> I get the vehicle back (it's at the shop that I dropped it off at for an
> >> inspection and oil change, and they haven't got to the oil change yet....
> >> and I'm happier leaving it there than in front of the house, because
> >> there's apparently a cop that wanders the neighborhood that would love
> >> nothing better than to write a ticket for no inspection sticker) and all
> >> the options are in stock at my FLAPS anyway, so I can just get home from
> >> work, throw the vehicle up in the air, pull a rotor, and then go to the
> >> parts store.

> >> thanks,

> >> Nate

> >> --
> >> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

> > ceramic pads are harder and have less dust. If the ceramic pads aren't
> > that much higher than the semi-met pads go for it

> They're within 10 dollars, really just looking for a reality check on
> the statement that they don't handle heat as well as SM.
>
> Although I might just order some Performance Friction "carbon metallic"
> and be done with it, they're actually cheaper online than any of the
> parts store stuff. *Then I'm running the risk of being porked though for
> not having a valid inspection for a couple days...

sunbelt -> bike to work
snowbelt -> brick and mortar: online 1:0
Old January 18th 12, 09:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 07:22:49 -0500, Nate Nagel >
wrote:

>Although I might just order some Performance Friction "carbon metallic"
>and be done with it, they're actually cheaper online than any of the
>parts store stuff. Then I'm running the risk of being porked though for
>not having a valid inspection for a couple days...

The only way to know is try them.
There's unknown variables, like how they will affect rotors and the
"feel" you want.
I think the organics have the best "feel."
But that might be pure imagination.
I've got ceramics on my Lumina and my son has them on his Bonneville
and his wife's Caddy.
No complaints from me.
Son's been doing all the brake jobs and checks pad wear frequently.
Says they hardly wear, and don't heat up as the others do.
They never screech like semi-metallics often do.
Also says they're said to tear up rotors faster than the others but
hasn't noticed that, and doesn't care since GM aftermarket rotors are
about 15-20 bucks so if he sees scoring he just puts a new rotor on.

--Vic
Old January 22nd 12, 10:27 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Jan 18, 4:10*pm, Vic Smith > wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 07:22:49 -0500, Nate Nagel >
> wrote:
>

> >Although I might just order some Performance Friction "carbon metallic"
> >and be done with it, they're actually cheaper online than any of the
> >parts store stuff. *Then I'm running the risk of being porked though for
> >not having a valid inspection for a couple days...

> The only way to know is try them.
> There's unknown variables, like how they will affect rotors and the
> "feel" you want.
> I think the organics have the best "feel."
> But that might be pure imagination.
> I've got ceramics on my Lumina and my son has them on his Bonneville
> and his wife's Caddy.
> No complaints from me.
> Son's been doing all the brake jobs and checks pad wear frequently.
> Says they hardly wear, and don't heat up as the others do.
> They never screech like semi-metallics often do.
> Also says they're said to tear up rotors faster than the others but
> hasn't noticed that, and doesn't care since GM aftermarket rotors are
> about 15-20 bucks so if he sees scoring he just puts a new rotor on.
>
> --Vic

stay away from organic pads. They wear out too fast.
Old January 22nd 12, 02:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 01/22/2012 05:27 AM, m6onz5a wrote:
> On Jan 18, 4:10 pm, Vic > wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 07:22:49 -0500, Nate >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Although I might just order some Performance Friction "carbon metallic"
>>> and be done with it, they're actually cheaper online than any of the
>>> parts store stuff. Then I'm running the risk of being porked though for
>>> not having a valid inspection for a couple days...

>> The only way to know is try them.
>> There's unknown variables, like how they will affect rotors and the
>> "feel" you want.
>> I think the organics have the best "feel."
>> But that might be pure imagination.
>> I've got ceramics on my Lumina and my son has them on his Bonneville
>> and his wife's Caddy.
>> No complaints from me.
>> Son's been doing all the brake jobs and checks pad wear frequently.
>> Says they hardly wear, and don't heat up as the others do.
>> They never screech like semi-metallics often do.
>> Also says they're said to tear up rotors faster than the others but
>> hasn't noticed that, and doesn't care since GM aftermarket rotors are
>> about 15-20 bucks so if he sees scoring he just puts a new rotor on.
>>
>> --Vic

> stay away from organic pads. They wear out too fast.

Well I ordered the PF pads... should be here in a day or two. Don't
know if that was the "best" choice but they've had a good name for years
so we'll see *shrug* Still have to order rotors though... wouldn't you
know it, the vehicle I have apparently had a mid year break in rotor
style and I need to actually get it up in the air and pull a rotor to
tell which ones I need. Was planning on doing that yesterday but we had
snow/freezing rain overnight... it's not any warmer today but at least
it's dry. Fun fun!

Anyone use "Centric" brand rotors? My FLAPS has rotors (both styles) in
stock but they are just standard rotors; I can get Centric brand ones
with an e-coating for about the same price online and that would make me
happy because I'm kind of a detail freak. Are there any reasons I
should stay away from them?

nate

Old January 22nd 12, 05:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 01/22/2012 06:13 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
<snip aimless indecisive incapable attention-seeking drivel>

> Anyone use "Centric" brand rotors? My FLAPS has rotors (both styles) in
> stock but they are just standard rotors; I can get Centric brand ones
> with an e-coating for about the same price online and that would make me
> happy because I'm kind of a detail freak. Are there any reasons I should
> stay away from them?

yes. but you tell us you're an "engineer". and if your degree really
is in engineering, and you got through without make-ups in "math
history", "wine tasting" and lego assembly, you should be able to do
some homework and figure it out for yourself.

but that's not why you're here asking "questions" you could easily
self-answer. reality is, you're here to flutter your wings and engage
in that ridiculously sick and inane compulsion of yours - endless
blathering yap without actually having a single damned thing to say.

now **** off, put some pants on, and go fix that ****ing car. there is
nothing more offensive and disgusting than an "engineer" that can't.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Old January 22nd 12, 05:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 01/22/2012 12:27 PM, jim beam wrote:
> On 01/22/2012 06:13 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
> <snip aimless indecisive incapable attention-seeking drivel>
>
>> Anyone use "Centric" brand rotors? My FLAPS has rotors (both styles) in
>> stock but they are just standard rotors; I can get Centric brand ones
>> with an e-coating for about the same price online and that would make me
>> happy because I'm kind of a detail freak. Are there any reasons I should
>> stay away from them?

> yes. but you tell us you're an "engineer". and if your degree really is
> in engineering, and you got through without make-ups in "math history",
> "wine tasting" and lego assembly, you should be able to do some homework
> and figure it out for yourself.

Which is what I'm attempting to do. Generally the only way one can
assess the quality of parts that have to be ordered (e.g. no chance to
inspect the merchandise beforehand, and in any way no way to evaluate
quality of materials and/or presence/absence of residual stresses
without actually putting the parts in use and/or having equipment that
most people don't have) is to get opinions and experiences from those
who have ****ing used them before. Reviews online seem to be good, but
I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

> but that's not why you're here asking "questions" you could easily
> self-answer. reality is, you're here to flutter your wings and engage in
> that ridiculously sick and inane compulsion of yours - endless
> blathering yap without actually having a single damned thing to say.

You want me to buy an assortment of rotors, try them all, and then make
a decision? Hmm, I can think of about a billion things that I'd rather
do with my time. Surely if my asking a simple question offends you so
much, you could just hit "n" and move on?

> now **** off, put some pants on, and go fix that ****ing car. there is
> nothing more offensive and disgusting than an "engineer" that can't.

There's nothing more offensive and disgusting than someone who thinks
he's smart, is in reality a mouthbreathing moron, and to add insult to
injury is an arrogant ****ing loudmouth with nothing to contribute. I
gave you too much credit before, as you seemed to have a clue, but your
apparent complete lack of knowledge of automotive suspensions has
changed my opinion.

Let me guess, now you're going to start the gpstard's habit of stalking
people he doesn't like from post to post, newsgroup to newsgroup, adding
no content but gratuitous insult, thus making Usenet that much more of a
cesspool. You and people like you are the reason moderated forums are
sadly so popular.

nate