New Rims

Old June 16th 05, 04:52 PM
Joao Eliseu

Default New Rims

I'm going to buy new stock rims 15 5.5" to replece my old 4.5" with 165 tires.

Do you think that the best tires (not wide) size to fit the new rims are 185/65/15?
Can I get to 150KM/h (93.75 Miles/h) with good handling with these tires?
I don't drive at that Speed is just to check ;-)

Joao
Old June 17th 05, 07:11 AM
Jan

Joao Eliseu wrote:
> I'm going to buy new stock rims 15 5.5" to replece my old 4.5" with 165 tires.
>
> Do you think that the best tires (not wide) size to fit the new rims are 185/65/15?
> Can I get to 150KM/h (93.75 Miles/h) with good handling with these tires?
> I don't drive at that Speed is just to check ;-)
>

> Joao

That would be my recommendation for those wheels, for everyday driving.
The difference is phenomenal.

The CAR isn't safe anymore at 180kph, but the tires still do fine. Been
there, done that

150kph is a breeze.

Jan
Old June 17th 05, 09:22 AM
Joao Eliseu

Jan > wrote:
>Joao Eliseu wrote:
>> I'm going to buy new stock rims 15 5.5" to replece my old 4.5" with 165

>tires.
>>
>> Do you think that the best tires (not wide) size to fit the new rims are

>185/65/15?
>> Can I get to 150KM/h (93.75 Miles/h) with good handling with these tires?
>> I don't drive at that Speed is just to check ;-)
>>

>> Joao

>That would be my recommendation for those wheels, for everyday driving.
>The difference is phenomenal.
>
>The CAR isn't safe anymore at 180kph, but the tires still do fine. Been
>there, done that
>
>150kph is a breeze.
>
>Jan

180kph!!!! I don't have engine and suspensions for that ...LOL

Joao
Old July 7th 05, 11:52 PM
Joao Eliseu

Jan > wrote:
>Joao Eliseu wrote:
>> I'm going to buy new stock rims 15 5.5" to replece my old 4.5" with 165

>tires.
>>
>> Do you think that the best tires (not wide) size to fit the new rims are

>185/65/15?
>> Can I get to 150KM/h (93.75 Miles/h) with good handling with these tires?
>> I don't drive at that Speed is just to check ;-)
>>

>> Joao

>That would be my recommendation for those wheels, for everyday driving.
>The difference is phenomenal.
>
>The CAR isn't safe anymore at 180kph, but the tires still do fine. Been
>there, done that
>
>150kph is a breeze.
>
>Jan

I have 2 questions...no 3! (Super Beetle)

Today I put the new rims and tires… so I went to a ride and I can feel the difference
from 165/15 old tires (16 or 17 years) to the new 185/65/15.

1-Now I can notice a little more that the back right wheel have more negative camber
and the car is about 22mm higher then the left one. If I low the rear right wheel
I get more negative camber. Can I change the camber keeping the same high on a IRS
suspension?

2-When I was about 140 km/h turning right and I took my foot from the accelerator
I felt the car turning more to the right. I don’t remember of feeling that on the
old tires. The pit arm on the steering box makes a lithe knock. What can I check
first? I replace everything on the front except the Ball Bearing Shock Towers.

3-I’m using 25 psi on the front and 32 on the back. On the shop they put 29 on the
front but I reduce the pressure when I arrive home. I used to use 20 on front and
30 on the back. What is the best tires pressure with this type of tires 185/65/15
on 5,5 rims.

http://tinypic.com/6tizh5.jpg
http://tinypic.com/6tjjti.jpg
http://tinypic.com/6tjkec.jpg

Joao
Old July 8th 05, 03:57 AM
Jan Andersson

Joao Eliseu wrote:

> Jan > wrote:
> >Joao Eliseu wrote:
> >> I'm going to buy new stock rims 15 5.5" to replece my old 4.5" with 165

> >tires.
> >>
> >> Do you think that the best tires (not wide) size to fit the new rims are

> >185/65/15?
> >> Can I get to 150KM/h (93.75 Miles/h) with good handling with these tires?
> >> I don't drive at that Speed is just to check ;-)
> >>

> >> Joao

> >That would be my recommendation for those wheels, for everyday driving.
> >The difference is phenomenal.
> >
> >The CAR isn't safe anymore at 180kph, but the tires still do fine. Been
> >there, done that
> >
> >150kph is a breeze.
> >
> >Jan

> I have 2 questions...no 3! (Super Beetle)
>
> Today I put the new rims and tires… so I went to a ride and I can feel the difference
> from 165/15 old tires (16 or 17 years) to the new 185/65/15.
>
> 1-Now I can notice a little more that the back right wheel have more negative camber
> and the car is about 22mm higher then the left one. If I low the rear right wheel
> I get more negative camber. Can I change the camber keeping the same high on a IRS
> suspension?
>
> 2-When I was about 140 km/h turning right and I took my foot from the accelerator
> I felt the car turning more to the right. I don’t remember of feeling that on the
> old tires. The pit arm on the steering box makes a lithe knock. What can I check
> first? I replace everything on the front except the Ball Bearing Shock Towers.
>
> 3-I’m using 25 psi on the front and 32 on the back. On the shop they put 29 on the
> front but I reduce the pressure when I arrive home. I used to use 20 on front and
> 30 on the back. What is the best tires pressure with this type of tires 185/65/15
> on 5,5 rims.
>
> http://tinypic.com/6tizh5.jpg
> http://tinypic.com/6tjjti.jpg
> http://tinypic.com/6tjkec.jpg
>
> Joao

As a reply to ALL of your questions: I don't know IRS and McPherson
beetles enough to eb able to answer.

You need to have the front AND rear wheel angles adjusted properly.

Jan