91 XJ: rear diff noise

Old July 4th 05, 08:55 PM
Doug

Default 91 XJ: rear diff noise

I added more trac-loc additive and the rear diff is still making noise. The
funny thing is, I did a rear brake job a while back and the rear diff noise
was reduced. It looks like some XJ's had the Dana 44 rear axle. Would that
be a better rear axle than my Dana 35? Is it a bolt-in replacement? It looks
like Cherokees also came with a AMC 7 9/16" axle is that even better than
the Dana 44?
--
there is no .sig

Old July 4th 05, 10:59 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Doug,
Bummer, you have any lube coming out the axle seals, like a bearing
going bad?
Some came with the Chrsyler eight inch, too. Look like:
http://www.billhughes.com/chrys8dana35covers.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old July 4th 05, 11:34 PM
Will Honea

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 19:55:00 UTC "Doug" > wrote:

> I added more trac-loc additive and the rear diff is still making noise. The
> funny thing is, I did a rear brake job a while back and the rear diff noise
> was reduced. It looks like some XJ's had the Dana 44 rear axle. Would that
> be a better rear axle than my Dana 35? Is it a bolt-in replacement? It looks
> like Cherokees also came with a AMC 7 9/16" axle is that even better than
> the Dana 44?

Get out in a parking lot and make a few full lock figure-8 turns and
see if that helps. That will open up the clutch plates in the
trac-loc and let the lube in. Mine took several turns and got me a
coupe of funny looks of the WTF variety before it quieted down.
Running mostly straight with mild turns won't let the modifier
doctored oil in.

--
Will Honea
Old July 6th 05, 01:57 AM
Doug

Thanks Will, I'll give that a try. It beats spending a hundred bones to have
a mechanic look at it. I tried looking at some exploded views of the
differential drive assembly, I couldn't even figure out how the thing works,
mechanically. It's amazing how simple motorcycles with chain drives are in
comparision to any four wheeled vehicle. One thing that bugs me though, is
that I never changed the diff oil in my old '70' Mustang and that vehicle
had 160,000 miles on it with the original 302.

--
there is no .sig