accord 1990 - 4 questions (cutting keys, timing belt, injector cleaner, rear well rust)

Old May 4th 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected][_2_]

Default accord 1990 - 4 questions (cutting keys, timing belt, injector cleaner, rear well rust)

Hi all,

As the message subject says I need your help to answer the following:

I was told not to cut keys for the car at Canadian Tire. I went to the
honda dealer and they cut some keys for me for free. However, they
don't seem the exact match. They won't open the trunk. And they didn't
use my original key, they cut them based on my vin number.

After hearing about honda timing belt failures, are there preventive
ways to tell when the belt should be replaced? I bought the car a year
ago, with no previous history. It has 256,000km on it.

People recommend using chevron techron as one of the best injector
cleaners. Can this be procured in Canada?

Is por-15 used by shops in canada? I have some rear well rust as well
know for this model/year. Before doing it with my friends, I wouldn't
mind knowing whether shops in ontario use it, or what's the de facto
standard?

thanks in advance,
vlad

Old May 4th 07, 02:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

" > wrote in
ups.com:

> Hi all,
>
> As the message subject says I need your help to answer the following:
>
> I was told not to cut keys for the car at Canadian Tire. I went to the
> honda dealer and they cut some keys for me for free. However, they
> don't seem the exact match. They won't open the trunk. And they didn't
> use my original key, they cut them based on my vin number.

Did they cut them on a valet blank? Valet keys are thicker than regular
keys and will enter neither the trunk lock nor the glove box lock.

> After hearing about honda timing belt failures, are there preventive
> ways to tell when the belt should be replaced? I bought the car a year
> ago, with no previous history. It has 256,000km on it.

256K km is 160K miles.

No way to tell except mileage, time, or the mystic runes imprinted upon
repair invoices.

If you do not know the car's history, replace the belt now or prepare
for a $2,000 repair bill when the thing snaps.

> People recommend using chevron techron as one of the best injector
> cleaners. Can this be procured in Canada?

Nope. But STP is an acceptable substitute, and is available at Crappy
Tire. Motorvac is even better, and is also available at CTC service.

> Is por-15 used by shops in canada?

Yes.

> I have some rear well rust as well
> know for this model/year. Before doing it with my friends, I wouldn't
> mind knowing whether shops in ontario use it, or what's the de facto
> standard?

Rust Check/Krown. You cannot eliminate your rust with POR-15, but you
can slow its spread by other means. Get your beast flooded with RC/K as
soon as you can.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old May 4th 07, 07:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
who

In article >,
Tegger > wrote:

> > People recommend using chevron techron as one of the best injector
> > cleaners. Can this be procured in Canada?

> Nope. But STP is an acceptable substitute, and is available at Crappy
> Tire. Motorvac is even better, and is also available at CTC service.

Chevron gas in Canada contains techron. Chevron is mainly in Western
Canada. I live in Vancouver=, BC and had a horror show with Shell gas
in 87/88 in my TBI Chrysler when they removed lead and added a
replacement additive that gummed up the TBI.
My dealer suggested switching to Chevron.
I've been using it since '89 in two cars and have never had to clean
injectors since. I took the first car to 140Kkms and my current car,
which has port injectors, is at 130Kkms. <
Old May 7th 07, 02:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected][_2_]

On May 3, 7:42 pm, " > wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As the message subject says I need your help to answer the following:
>
> I was told not to cut keys for the car at Canadian Tire. I went to the
> honda dealer and they cut some keys for me for free. However, they
> don't seem the exact match. They won't open the trunk. And they didn't
> use my original key, they cut them based on my vin number.
>
> After hearing about honda timing belt failures, are there preventive
> ways to tell when the belt should be replaced? I bought the car a year
> ago, with no previous history. It has 256,000km on it.
>
> People recommend using chevron techron as one of the best injector
> cleaners. Can this be procured in Canada?
>
> Is por-15 used by shops in canada? I have some rear well rust as well
> know for this model/year. Before doing it with my friends, I wouldn't
> mind knowing whether shops in ontario use it, or what's the de facto
> standard?
>
> thanks in advance,
> vlad

Thanks Tegger, she's got a bath in RC, next step is to do the timing
belt.

I plan to keep this car for four more years. Is this a reasonable
expectation for this car?

thanks again,
vlad