Cleaning Fuel Injectors in 2005 Honda Accord?

Old January 17th 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Necronomicon

Default Cleaning Fuel Injectors in 2005 Honda Accord?

Hi,

I just had my oil changed, and the guy said that my fuel
injectors
needed cleaning (I've got about 30k miles or so on it).

He wanted to charge me $60, and said it would take about 15
minutes.

Can't i just do this myself, with just adding a few bottles of
"Gummout" to the fuel tank?

Tell me this guy was trying to scam me.....

Old January 17th 08, 11:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

He's trying to scam you.

Buy a bottle of Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner at
WalMart, Autozone, or similar for around $8. At gas station,
add the Chevron Techron to a near-empty tank. Fill tank.

Elle
Original owner, 91 Civic. Started adding Chevron Techron
around 2002. Never had any special cleaning of fuel system
done, other than changing the fuel filter per the owner's
manual every 4 years/60k miles. I buy discount gas from
large chains; nothing special in this gas except maybe
ethanol now and then. Car runs great.

"Necronomicon" > wrote

Old January 18th 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dave L

Yeah, what Elle said! I used to run Techron through my '89 Prelude from
time to time. My '05 Accord has almost 34k miles and I never put any fuel
cleaner in it. Just use name brand gas, such as Texaco (which also uses
Techron). Used to use Exxon or BP an dno problems there either. Let's
see - most of it will be "labor" and not really materials. $60 for 15
minutes that's $240/hr. I must be in the wrong line of work...

Besides, I don't remember seeing it as a requirement in my owner's manual.
Certainly not at 30k miles!

-Dave

Old January 18th 08, 06:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Necronomicon

On Jan 17, 6:52�pm, "Dave L" > wrote:
> Yeah, what Elle said! �I used to run Techron through my '89 Prelude from
> time to time. �My '05 Accord has almost 34k miles and I never put any fuel
> cleaner in it. �Just use name brand gas, such as Texaco (which also uses
> Techron). �Used to use Exxon or BP an dno problems there either. �Let's
> see - most of it will be "labor" and not really materials. �$60 for 15
> minutes that's $240/hr. �I must be in the wrong line of work...
>
> Besides, I don't remember seeing it as a requirement in my owner's manual.
> Certainly not at 30k miles!

Ha! Yeah, that's why i didn't buy it! I
read the owner's manual now and again, and never
remembered that. He bullsh**ed by saying Honda
recommends it every 20k or so.

There is a temptation to trust the so-called
"experts", and just do what they tell you out of
laziness, so i'm sure he gets a few suckers now and
again. Also, i had a previous oil-changer warn me
about my CV boots tearing, and i found out the hard
way that he was NOT lying! (had to get new axles, or something like
that)....so there was a historical temptation to believe this recent
liar.

By the way, this recent asshole was at a Jiffy-Lube, which over-
charges for an oil-change anyways!

Thanks much, Elle and Dave!!!

Old January 18th 08, 03:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

"Necronomicon" > wrote
Ha! Yeah, that's why i didn't buy it! I
read the owner's manual now and again, and never
remembered that. He bullsh**ed by saying Honda
recommends it every 20k or so.

There is a temptation to trust the so-called
"experts", and just do what they tell you out of
laziness, so i'm sure he gets a few suckers now and
again. Also, i had a previous oil-changer warn me
about my CV boots tearing, and i found out the hard
way that he was NOT lying! (had to get new axles, or
something like
that)....so there was a historical temptation to believe
this recent
liar.
-----

I read you. I find the "cry wolf" phenomenon kicking in too
often. Then one does not know when to trust these so-called
"professionals." And I don't care if they're physicians
(bigger liars than dealers, IMO), lawyers, or auto techs. I
say, "View all with skepticism, and so promote a freer
market."

Your guy is a real jerk for saying Honda required it.

You busted him. Good work. :-)

Old January 19th 08, 12:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Woody[_1_]

Most of those mechanics carry a utility knife in their pocket for when they
think they can sell you new boots.
There is no way a mechanic can determine the injectors need cleaning without
opening up your engine. If they need cleaning at 30k I would be jumping up
and down on the dealer as there is no way they need cleaned that soon. Use
top tier gas and you should never need them cleaned nor the cleaner in the
tank.

Old January 19th 08, 02:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Woody" > wrote in
:

> Most of those mechanics carry a utility knife in their pocket for when
> they think they can sell you new boots.

They don't need to. Nobody checks their CV joint boots, so it's only a
matter of time before the mechanic ends up making money changing the
shafts.

> There is no way a mechanic can determine the injectors need cleaning
> without opening up your engine.

You remove the fuel rail from the manifold, injectors in place. Place clear
container under injectors. Crank engine. Observe spray pattern. They do it
all the time.

> If they need cleaning at 30k I would
> be jumping up and down on the dealer as there is no way they need
> cleaned that soon.

That's correct. The only exception I can think of is if the OP let the car
run out of gas a number of times.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old January 19th 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Necronomicon

On Jan 18, 5:16�pm, "Woody" > wrote:
> Most of those mechanics carry a utility knife in their pocket for when they
> think they can sell you new boots.

Hmmm...makes me think i should watch
these guys instead of going out to lunch while
they "work"!
Old January 19th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Necronomicon

On Jan 19, 7:18�am, Tegger > wrote:
> "Woody" > wrote :
>
> > Most of those mechanics carry a utility knife in their pocket for when
> > they think they can sell you new boots.

> They don't need to. Nobody checks their CV joint boots, so it's only a
> matter of time before the mechanic ends up making money changing the
> shafts.

I don't believe Jiffy-Lube offers those
services, but yeah, other garages do.

> > There is no way a mechanic can determine the injectors need cleaning
> > without opening up your engine.

> You remove the fuel rail from the manifold, injectors in place. Place clear
> container under injectors. Crank engine. Observe spray pattern. They do it
> all the time.

I really doubt my guy had the time to do this...

Thanks to all who kicked in 0.02.

Old January 20th 08, 03:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dave L

On Jan 17, 6:52?pm, "Dave L" > wrote:
> Yeah, what Elle said! ?I used to run Techron through my '89 Prelude from
> time to time. ?My '05 Accord has almost 34k miles and I never put any fuel
> cleaner in it. ?Just use name brand gas, such as Texaco (which also uses
> Techron). ?Used to use Exxon or BP an dno problems there either. ?Let's
> see - most of it will be "labor" and not really materials. ?$60 for 15
> minutes that's $240/hr. ?I must be in the wrong line of work...
>
> Besides, I don't remember seeing it as a requirement in my owner's manual.
> Certainly not at 30k miles!

Ha! Yeah, that's why i didn't buy it! I
read the owner's manual now and again, and never
remembered that. He bullsh**ed by saying Honda
recommends it every 20k or so.

There is a temptation to trust the so-called
"experts", and just do what they tell you out of
laziness, so i'm sure he gets a few suckers now and
again. Also, i had a previous oil-changer warn me
about my CV boots tearing, and i found out the hard
way that he was NOT lying! (had to get new axles, or something like
that)....so there was a historical temptation to believe this recent
liar.

By the way, this recent asshole was at a Jiffy-Lube, which over-
charges for an oil-change anyways!

Thanks much, Elle and Dave!!!

You're welcome! And you might want to do yourself another favor - either
find an independent shop, go to the dealer (yes they're often CHEAPER than
Jiffy Lube!) or do the oil changes yourself. They're not all bad, but
they've got more than their share of shady people there.

Back in the '87, my brother took his Mitsubishi there for an oil change.
Back when Mitsubishi wasn't as popular, they blew a fuse - only place to get
it was the dealership. The closer one didn't have it so they had get
someone to drive 30 minutes to pick up the part and bring it back. They
gave him a free oil change and apologized. I was with him when this
happened! Another example - they forgot to put the oil cap on his friend's
car - he drove home, popped the hood and it was covered in oil. He made
them pay for an engine cleaning, but don't remember what else happened.
More extreme example - an owner (older guy) of a small neighborhood hardware
store we used to go to took his pick-up truck to another J.L. my brother
used to go to sometimes. They forgot to put the drain bolt back in, so
after he drove off there was an oil trail following him from J.L. His
engine died on the parkway and he basically had them pay for a new engine.
These are all actual examples from the '80s.

Then I saw this last year:
http://mfile.akamai.com/12924/wmv/vo...52183.200k.asx

Here's another one:
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...jiffy_lube.htm

I'm not saying things haven't changed since then, and I'm sure there are
good J.Lubes out there. However I won't go there unless it's a dire
emergency and still watch them like a hawk.

-Dave