98 TJ Serpentine Belt Adjustment Bolt

Old April 13th 05, 08:03 PM
Dave

Default 98 TJ Serpentine Belt Adjustment Bolt

Hello..

I'm looking for any information anyone can give on where to obtain the
LONG bolt used for loosening or tightening the serpentine belt (is the
dealer the only option besides a junkyard?) .. Not the bolt on the
pulley itself, but the long adjustment bolt. I inadvertently broke
mine.. and have been unable to find a replacement at the local parts
store, or hardware stores. I imagine that I don't need a bolt nearly as
long as the one that the jeep comes with, but if possible, I'd like to
replace it with the correct part.

Thanks in advance.
-Dave

Old April 13th 05, 08:39 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

You have learned to loosen the idler bolt, that locks it in place:
http://www.billhughes.com/serpenti.jpg Try the bone yards, for an exact
replacement, but there's nothing special about it, it doesn't need to be
grade eight, your local farm supply will have it.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old April 13th 05, 09:07 PM
Mike Romain

There are several nut and bolt stores around. I got all stainless
replacement bolts when I went 'glass. Those places can match almost
anything.

Here is the one I used because they have a local outlet:
http://www.brafasco.com/

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 14th 05, 11:40 AM
Dave

lol.

=2E . . I had my exhaust manifold off about 6 months ago, and had no
problem mastering the art of the idler bolt then, but over the weekend,
I finally fixed my temp. cable snag, and realized that my A/C makes the
engine squeal when on full blast, so I decided to quickly pop to hood
and tighten the belt (just like I did before). . . Impatience causes so
many problems! I completely forgot to loosen the idler bolt. I realized
it immediately after I broke the adjustment bolt.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them out!!

-Dave