2004 Accord coupe: Proper charging voltage

Old October 1st 07, 03:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

Default 2004 Accord coupe: Proper charging voltage

"Tegger" > wrote in message ...
>> One more electrical question - when I open the hood, near front
>> driver side shock absorber column there is a small rectangular box
>> with three LEDs with "Corrosion Control Systems Auto Saver Device"
>> written on the sticker.
>> What exactly is it, how it works and is it factory installed or
>> some aftermarket gizmo the previous owner put in?

> It is a ripoff.
>
> Is an aftermarket gizmo that does not much more than make the seller rich,
> and damage your factory wiring.
>
> It's supposed to work on the same principle as similar devices that have
> been installed on boats for years. But a car is not a boat and is not
> immersed in water, so the principle doesn't work.

Well, I have not payed for it, previous owner must have payed for it.
If it does not hurt I would leave it alone - does to make things worse?
Can it be related to my lights dimming situation?
Old October 1st 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Pszemol" > wrote in
:

> "Tegger" > wrote in message
>>> One more electrical question - when I open the hood, near front
>>> driver side shock absorber column there is a small rectangular box
>>> with three LEDs with "Corrosion Control Systems Auto Saver Device"
>>> written on the sticker.
>>> What exactly is it, how it works and is it factory installed or
>>> some aftermarket gizmo the previous owner put in?

>> It is a ripoff.
>>
>> Is an aftermarket gizmo that does not much more than make the seller
>> rich, and damage your factory wiring.
>>
>> It's supposed to work on the same principle as similar devices that
>> have been installed on boats for years. But a car is not a boat and
>> is not immersed in water, so the principle doesn't work.

> Well, I have not payed for it, previous owner must have payed for it.
> If it does not hurt I would leave it alone - does to make things
> worse? Can it be related to my lights dimming situation?

Not very likely. Unless it's been badly miswired, of course.

Check out TSB number 05-034 with your local dealer.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old October 1st 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Pszemol" > wrote in
:

> "Tegger" > wrote in message
>>> One more electrical question - when I open the hood, near front
>>> driver side shock absorber column there is a small rectangular box
>>> with three LEDs with "Corrosion Control Systems Auto Saver Device"
>>> written on the sticker.
>>> What exactly is it, how it works and is it factory installed or
>>> some aftermarket gizmo the previous owner put in?

>> It is a ripoff.
>>
>> Is an aftermarket gizmo that does not much more than make the seller
>> rich, and damage your factory wiring.
>>
>> It's supposed to work on the same principle as similar devices that
>> have been installed on boats for years. But a car is not a boat and
>> is not immersed in water, so the principle doesn't work.

> Well, I have not payed for it, previous owner must have payed for it.
> If it does not hurt I would leave it alone - does to make things
> worse? Can it be related to my lights dimming situation?

Try unplugging it or pulling its fuse, just to be sure.

Old October 1st 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"Tegger" > wrote in message ...
> There is a known issue with your model having to do with fluctuating
> charging voltage and headlights dimming. Sometimes a P1298 is stored
> in the ECM.
>
> TSB 05-034 covers this for ALL '04 Accords..
>
> The most likely source of your problem is cracked solder in the Electrical
> Load Detector (ELD). This means you must replace the entire underhood fuse
> box. The ELD is potted, so it's not fixable like a Main Relay.
>
> You may want to run this past your dealer and see if you can get this
> done under some kind of warranty, official or unofficial.

Thank you.

Talked to my local dealer and set up the appointment for Thursday.
They will check if this is the issue and if it was done already or not.

I have this car under "honda certified" status, so it should not
be a problem with the warranty, I hope. I also have the "honda care"
so they should take care of me :-)))

Is there a convenient list for some other service builetins or
known defects for my 2004 accord available? Maybe I could do
everything while I take this car in for the service on Thursday...

Is this list something I should expect to get from a dealer?
Old October 1st 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Pszemol" > wrote in
:

> Is there a convenient list for some other service builetins or
> known defects for my 2004 accord available? Maybe I could do
> everything while I take this car in for the service on Thursday...

There is a list.

Go he http://search.ebscohost.com/
Sign in with username lib and password access
Choose "Auto Repair Reference" from menu at left.
Navigate to your car.

You can also set up an account with American Honda's Ownerlink site, he
https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login....d%5Fhome%2Easp
Here you can view any TSB's specifically for your vehicle.

> Is this list something I should expect to get from a dealer?

The dealer has access to Honda's internal iN network, which houses all the
TSBs, but without a specific symptom to search for, it's hard to locate
specific TSBs without going through them all. Or so I'm told.

Old October 1st 07, 09:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"Tegger" > wrote in message ...
> There is a list.
>
> Go he http://search.ebscohost.com/
> Sign in with username lib and password access
> Choose "Auto Repair Reference" from menu at left.
> Navigate to your car.
>
> You can also set up an account with American Honda's Ownerlink site, he
> https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login....d%5Fhome%2Easp
> Here you can view any TSB's specifically for your vehicle.

Thanks Tegger, you are very helpful.
Old October 1st 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Pszemol" > wrote in
:

> "Tegger" > wrote in message
>> There is a list.
>>
>> Go he http://search.ebscohost.com/
>> Sign in with username lib and password access
>> Choose "Auto Repair Reference" from menu at left.
>> Navigate to your car.
>>
>> You can also set up an account with American Honda's Ownerlink site,
>> he
>> https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login....d%5Fhome%2Easp
>> Here you can view any TSB's specifically for your vehicle.

> Thanks Tegger, you are very helpful.

I'll send you my bill.

Old October 2nd 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"Tegger" > wrote in message ...
> "Pszemol" > wrote in
> :
>
>> "Tegger" > wrote in message
>>> There is a list.
>>>
>>> Go he http://search.ebscohost.com/
>>> Sign in with username lib and password access
>>> Choose "Auto Repair Reference" from menu at left.
>>> Navigate to your car.
>>>
>>> You can also set up an account with American Honda's Ownerlink site,
>>> he
>>> https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login....d%5Fhome%2Easp
>>> Here you can view any TSB's specifically for your vehicle.

>> Thanks Tegger, you are very helpful.

> I'll send you my bill.

Oooops!
Old October 2nd 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire

Tegger wrote:

> "Pszemol" > wrote in
> :
>

>>"Tegger" > wrote in message
>>
>>>There is a known issue with your model having to do with fluctuating
>>>charging voltage and headlights dimming. Sometimes a P1298 is stored
>>>in the ECM.
>>>
>>>TSB 05-034 covers this for ALL '04 Accords..
>>>
>>>The most likely source of your problem is cracked solder in the
>>>Electrical Load Detector (ELD). This means you must replace the
>>>entire underhood fuse box. The ELD is potted, so it's not fixable
>>>like a Main Relay.
>>>
>>>You may want to run this past your dealer and see if you can get this
>>>done under some kind of warranty, official or unofficial.

>>Interesting...
>>
>>One more electrical question - when I open the hood, near front
>>driver side shock absorber column there is a small rectangular box
>>with three LEDs with "Corrosion Control Systems Auto Saver Device"
>>written on the sticker.
>>What exactly is it, how it works and is it factory installed or
>>some aftermarket gizmo the previous owner put in?
>>

> It is a ripoff.
>
> Is an aftermarket gizmo that does not much more than make the seller rich,
> and damage your factory wiring.
>
> It's supposed to work on the same principle as similar devices that have
> been installed on boats for years. But a car is not a boat and is not
> immersed in water, so the principle doesn't work.

If there is a zinc anode, it might have some value but...

JT

Old October 3rd 07, 03:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

> Tegger wrote:
>
>> "Pszemol" > wrote in
>> :

>>> Interesting...
>>>
>>> One more electrical question - when I open the hood, near front
>>> driver side shock absorber column there is a small rectangular box
>>> with three LEDs with "Corrosion Control Systems Auto Saver Device"
>>> written on the sticker.
>>> What exactly is it, how it works and is it factory installed or
>>> some aftermarket gizmo the previous owner put in?
>>>

>> It is a ripoff.
>>
>> Is an aftermarket gizmo that does not much more than make the seller
>> rich, and damage your factory wiring.
>>
>> It's supposed to work on the same principle as similar devices that
>> have been installed on boats for years. But a car is not a boat and is
>> not immersed in water, so the principle doesn't work.
>>

> If there is a zinc anode, it might have some value but...
>
> JT

no. like tegger says, you need to be immersed in water for that to work
- there needs to be continuous electrolyte between the two parts, the
one being protected and the one being sacrificed.