98 Accord won't start

Old October 14th 05, 12:37 AM
Elle

You tried the flooded engine trick again, right?

Have you checked for spark at the plugs?

If you don't know how, ask or google. It's not hard.

Old October 14th 05, 05:54 AM

I don't think it's just flooded. I've tried to start... smelled gas...
let it sit 20+ minutes and tried again with no success. I've also tried
the different throttle positions (gas pedal halfway / fully depressed)
with no success mutliple times. The PGM-FI relay seemed like it wasn't
working properly and then, once I reflowed the solder on the terminals
on the little PCB the clicks+fuel pump for two seconds came back, I
doubt that would happen with just a weak battery. But it seems like
either that wasn't the issue, or it was part of some kind of cascade
failure.

One other thing I forgot to mention, I have an OBDII scanner and the
computer has no error/scan codes.

Old October 14th 05, 06:15 AM

A few times, early in the cranking, the car would sputter a bit as if
it was trying to fire, but only right at the start of the cranking, and
usually only when I first tried after letting it sit for a while.

I've been getting the cranking at the normal speed every time I tried,
until recently. I think all the start attempts finally are wearing the
battery down and the cranking was starting to slow. I tried, earlier
today, to start with a jump from my girlfriends car. The speed of the
cranking came back up to normal during the jump but the engine still
won't fire. (I tried holding the gas pedal down during the jump attemp
too, no dice). I though about maybe getting an AC wall plug car battery
charger so that I don't loose my battery during all this "sitting idle"
and starting attempts, thoughts on that?

I've tried holding the gas pedal to the floor before (as directed by
Curly and the starting the engine section in the owners manual) but I
haven't tried cranking for as long as you suggest. The owners manual
suggests only cranking for fifteen seconds with ten second intervals...
should I really try a full minute?

Like I posted above, I also have an OBDII scanner and the car computer
doesn't have any error codes (or pending codes).

I followed the "fix your PGM-FI" section on your FAQ yesterday, nice
site BTW. I'm almost positive the relay wasn't clicking any more than
once (key to starter on position) and no fuel pump sounds. After
following the procedure there (reflowing the solder joints) all three
clicks are clear and the fuel pump kicks on for the two seconds but it
didn't fix the problem.

I'll check spark tomorrow, although I don't have a garage and it's been
raining continously here for four days.

Another thing I tried at the very end (after "fixing" the main relay)
was turning the key from off to on a few times (letting the fuel pump
run a couple times). I thought maybe that after sitting for a while the
"fuel rail" needed to be re-pressurized. (I'm grasping at straws)

I'm not a car person but I'm learning fast.

Thanks!
Mike

Old October 14th 05, 11:18 AM

Me too I'm learning too.
I had problem of cranking but refused to turn over. I did wait while
for the fuel
pump to turn on. That got to work that I thought that was the my
problem.
Now I doubt that is the problem. Now i realize the problem alarm. The
alarm
was not turned on when I turned the key so there was nothing going to
starter...
I found the way to turn on the alarm in order to start right way so
that I do not
have to wait...I hope this is only starting problem I've...I did suffer
with starting
problem ))

Old October 14th 05, 03:58 PM

I tried cranking for a minute as suggested, but the battery is
definitely discharged now... The speed of the cranking starts out
slightly slower than normal and then gets progressively slower and
slower... chug..chug..chug....chug.....chug......chug....... .....chug I
couldn't hold it for the full minute.

I'm having a hard time checking for spark since I don't have an
assistant today to crank the engine for me while I look. I can try
jumping the car again but I don't want to wreak havoc on my girlfriends
car (especially since she's trying to sell it now).

I might just bite the bulelt and buy an automatic battery charger from
the auto store. It looks like they're about $30 and probably not a
terrible thing to have hanging around.

Another thing I just remembered to note
The battery, alternator, ignition coil, and ignition switch were all
replaced about 1.5 years ago due to an unrelated problem.

Old October 14th 05, 04:25 PM

I did regular dealership maintenance on the car for the first 100K
miles or so, so I assume they replaced the plugs at some point. I could
be wrong though, I'd have to go back and check my maintenance records.

Old October 14th 05, 04:47 PM
Elle

> wrote
> I did regular dealership maintenance on the car for the first 100K
> miles or so, so I assume they replaced the plugs at some point. I could
> be wrong though, I'd have to go back and check my maintenance records.

Check also for whether the distributor cap and rotor, spark plug WIRES, and
distributor's ignitor were replaced recently.

Were the alternator and distributor coil put in 1.5 years ago both OEM?

I had a distributor coil installed by Firestone in 2001. Failed a couple of
months later. They ruled it "defective" and replaced it under warranty.

You might be able to rig up a plug wire so that you can just barely see it
when you're sitting in the driver's seat, so you can check for spark by
yourself.

Dunno what a battery charger costs, but if it's under $20, I think it might
be worthwhile to have and may save you having to go to a shop for this
particular no-start problem.

91 Honda Accord no start pete Technology 1 May 21st 05 04:46 AM
intermittent start stevie Honda 3 May 6th 05 04:20 PM
97 V6 SOHC Will Intermittantly Not Start - loses clock/radio memory settings??? Jeff Ford Explorer 0 January 20th 05 03:11 AM
91 accord wont start [email protected] Honda 3 January 4th 05 08:44 PM
94 accord cranks but won't start Matt Honda 7 January 3rd 05 02:06 AM