Replacing Rear Wheel Bearings on Jeep YJ

Old April 12th 04, 02:38 PM
tj

Default Replacing Rear Wheel Bearings on Jeep YJ

I have recently started hearing a lot of noise coming from the rearend
of my '94 Jeep Wrangler. It clicks and pops mainly when turning
corners... particularly while backing up but only after being driven
for a while. I got the the Jeep about 6 months ago and don't know much
about the structure of the rearend. I'm thinking (hoping) it's outer
wheel bearings and not the differential. Can anyone offer any guidance
on replacing the rear wheel bearings... how much time/work is
involved? can it be done at home with a minimum amount of tools? any
special tools needed?

Thanks,
TJ
Old April 12th 04, 04:05 PM
Mike Romain

You really need to find out what you have back there.

Some rear ends do click and pop like crazy normally, some do it when the
fluid gets low and some do it when they are full of water and about to
explode....

No matter what, the cover has to come off for an inspection and to
remove the axles if you have a Dana 35C.

Some rear ends have clutch packs in them that are a 'limited slip' rear.

Some rears have lockers added that will click and pop.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 12th 04, 04:05 PM
Mike Romain

wheel bearings ron Corvette 4 October 28th 04 07:42 AM
A4 - Front Wheel Bearings ? Graeme Audi 1 July 15th 04 12:47 PM
Rear wheel lockup---2000 Neon T. McRae Dodge 6 May 8th 04 09:41 AM