89 audi 100, fan problems

Old July 14th 05, 03:50 PM

Default 89 audi 100, fan problems

Ok, My 89 audi is having some probelms. I think it was yesterday, i
pulled into my driveway after work and noticed the fan, the one right
behind the radiator, wasn't stopping. I figured that it would stop
within 5-10 minutes. I came back out 15 minutes later and the fan was
still running. I started my vehicle to make sure the battery wouldn't
die, and then turned off my car again. Once again i waited for another
15 minutes, with the car off, but the fan kept on runnning. So now
whenever i want to drive my car i have to pull the battery so the fan
will stop. Please any ideas will help.

Thank you,
Jimmie

Old July 14th 05, 05:05 PM

No what does this switch look like? Sorry im not very mechanical. Does
it look like a light switch or a toggle switch?

Jimmie

Old July 14th 05, 05:59 PM
Guy King

The message .com>
from contains these words:

> No what does this switch look like? Sorry im not very mechanical. Does
> it look like a light switch or a toggle switch?

It won't look like a switch at all. It'll be a fitting on the side of
the radiator. In general it'll look something like this...

http://www.bus-boys.com/121b-wasser.gif

but of course, they're all different! You should be able to unplug it.
If that doesn't stop then fan then start chasing the relay.

--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."

Old July 14th 05, 06:21 PM
Tony

The fan thermo switch is located on the back of the radiator just below the
lower radiator hose. three wire connection for fan speeds 2 and 3.

Still I would be more inclined to check the relays first. Relays for fan speeds
1 and 2 are located int he main relay / fuse box buy the drivers side hood
hinge. Fan speed 3 relay is located in the AUX panel under the dash by the
driver's left knee. Large and very difficult to pull due to its large conductors
to carry the amperage needed for the fast speed. I would suspect either fan
speed 1 or 2 relays to be the more likely culprit.

TonyJ
current: 98.5 A4 1.8TQM APR
precious: four T44s 84 - 91 N/A 5spd

Old July 14th 05, 06:27 PM

So do you recommend unplugging the switch while the fan is running, or
when i have the battery unplugged?

Thank you,
Jimmie

Old July 14th 05, 08:56 PM
Guy King

The message >
from Tony > contains these words:

> Still I would be more inclined to check the relays first.

If you pull the switch plug first it'll tell you whether the relays are
stuck or not.

If you pull the relays first it won't tell you whether they or the
switch were stuck 'cos the fan'll go off anyway.

Old July 14th 05, 09:59 PM
Tony

Because I feel that the relays are the problem I do not see a reason to unplug
the switch. The switch is used to activate the relays which then power the fan
so unplugging the switch will not have any effect if my theory is right.

I would look to the relays first and you can check them with the battery hooked up.

If you still want to unplug the switch you should disconnect the battery first
because it is located within inches of the fan and you do not want to be
anywhere near that when it is running.

TonyJ

Old July 14th 05, 11:19 PM
Guy King

The message >
from Tony > contains these words:

> I would look to the relays first and you can check them with the
> battery hooked up.

What will that tell you? If you pull the relay and the fan stops you're
no wiser. It could still be the switch, as the fan won't run without the
relay it'd have stopped anyway.

If the OP were confident enough they could poke about with a meter but
they don't come across as the sort that would do that.

--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."

Audi 100 : ?electric problems? WannaBe Audi 2 May 10th 05 05:52 PM
1993 Audi 90s A/C problems Tracy Audi 1 February 6th 05 07:34 PM
2004 Audi A8 Reliability Problems Streetrunner Audi 5 January 4th 05 03:42 AM
FYI: Audi radio reception problems? Steve Sears Audi 0 December 15th 04 04:32 PM
Audi Cabriolet 97 model: Problems with soft top roof anon Audi 0 October 4th 04 08:00 PM