What's with all the E46 M3 engine problems?

Old October 25th 04, 12:22 AM
Fred W.

"GRL" > wrote in message
> You're kidding! Maybe there are laws in Europe that will force BMW to do
> the
> right thing without a formal extended warranty.
>
> In any case, a 2001 M3 is some four years old, still costs $35,000 and two
> years of warranty coverage with a potential $17,000 engine replacement
> after
> the warranty runs out is NOT a thrilling concept. I'd make sure all
> recalls
> have been done. Probably rare to find a case where they have not, anyway.

$17,000 for an engine replacement? I think not. Where did you pull that
number from?

Old October 25th 04, 02:04 AM
GRL

Did a little Google search on the issue and that's what one owner said he
was made to pay when his early engine blew up and had to be replaced. This
was back when BMW was blaming the owners. You think that's a low or high
figure? I'd guess it's about right for installation of a fresh M3 engine.

Search: BMW M3 recall engine

George Litwinski
"Fred W." <Fred.Wills@'remove this to reply to' myrealbox.com> wrote in
message ...

Old October 25th 04, 02:33 AM
Chip-A-Way

Hey guys both problems are the same. BMW's recall replaces an oil pump and
the bearings at the same time. The reasons were twofold. Firstly, after
the initial run in period they were unhappy with the wear on a batch of
engine bearings; hence the replacement of bearings and pump. Second; it
seems the data from the vehicles with the blown motors showed many owners
side-stepping the clutch pedal. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know
that an engine taking this kind of abuse will have a much shorter lifespan.

As far as the possibility that the recall measures in England and the USA
being different that is possible as the United States division is run by
BMWNA. And we all know that in the good old USA the lawyers are always
trying to find a way to seperate somewone from their money!

Old October 25th 04, 03:57 AM
GRL

Well, in the case of the engine on a $55,000+ sports sedan blowing up (I saw
figures of 10% of the cars in question being affected) , I hate to say it,
but if it is because of the scum-sucking trial lawyers that BMW did the
right thing, maybe sometimes they are actually do justify their existence.

George Litwinski

Old October 25th 04, 05:36 PM
Fred W.

"GRL" > wrote in message
> Did a little Google search on the issue and that's what one owner said he
> was made to pay when his early engine blew up and had to be replaced. This
> was back when BMW was blaming the owners. You think that's a low or high
> figure? I'd guess it's about right for installation of a fresh M3 engine.
>
> Search: BMW M3 recall engine

The figure sounds high to me. In fact here is what I found when I searched:

from: http://yoy.com/auto/m3_failwhat.shtml

"BMW has replaced most of these failed engines under warranty, but some
owners, especially early-on, were blamed for the failures and charged some
or all of the replacement cost, which was approximately $17,000 US retail
until BMW drastically reduced the price to about $5,000 US in November."

$5000 sounds about right to me. I don't believe that they would just drop
in a whole engine anyway. It would most likely just be the short block.

-Fred W

Old October 26th 04, 12:18 AM
dizzy

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 12:36:09 -0400, "Fred W." <Fred.Wills@'remove this
to reply to' myrealbox.com> wrote:

>The figure sounds high to me. In fact here is what I found when I searched:
>
>from: http://yoy.com/auto/m3_failwhat.shtml
>
>"BMW has replaced most of these failed engines under warranty, but some
>owners, especially early-on, were blamed for the failures and charged some
>or all of the replacement cost, which was approximately $17,000 US retail
>until BMW drastically reduced the price to about $5,000 US in November."
>
> $5000 sounds about right to me. I don't believe that they would just drop
>in a whole engine anyway. It would most likely just be the short block.

Maybe. For the entire M3 engine, $17,000 sounds extremely believable.

Old October 26th 04, 03:06 AM
GRL

Your link says that they were charging $17,000 and then lowered the price to
$5,000. Whether they will continue that deep discount is a gamble I would
not care to take. Not sure that includes the labor, either.

--

- GRL

" It's good to want things. "

- Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, graphic artist, Visual Basic
programmer)

Old October 26th 04, 06:46 PM
Fred W.

"GRL" > wrote in message
> Your link says that they were charging $17,000 and then lowered the price
> $5,000. Whether they will continue that deep discount is a gamble I would
> not care to take. Not sure that includes the labor, either.

I don't believe that was such a deep discount. I think the $17k was a huge
rip-off because they felt they could rape those first few guys who they
thought had been racing and over-revved the engines after a missed shift.

It seesm to me that the going price for a Nikasil replacement short block is
in the $5-6k range. That seems about right.

That and they are covering those engines entirely under 100k miles/ 6 year
warranty.