brake pad & rotor question

Old April 23rd 06, 08:23 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default brake pad & rotor question

I just changed front and back pads and rotors. Brakes seem "soft".

What might cause this? Do new pads/rotors need time to adjust? Oil on
pads or rotors?

I did not bleed brake fluid this time.

Thanks for advice.
Old April 23rd 06, 08:33 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 19:23:13 GMT, Franz Fripplfrappl > wrote:

>I just changed front and back pads and rotors. Brakes seem "soft".
>
>What might cause this? Do new pads/rotors need time to adjust? Oil on
>pads or rotors?
>
>I did not bleed brake fluid this time.
>
>Thanks for advice.

And as a result you're likely feeling air in the system...
Old April 23rd 06, 11:13 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

daytripper wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 19:23:13 GMT, Franz Fripplfrappl > wrote:
>
>> I just changed front and back pads and rotors. Brakes seem "soft".
>>
>> What might cause this? Do new pads/rotors need time to adjust? Oil on
>> pads or rotors?
>>
>> I did not bleed brake fluid this time.
>>
>> Thanks for advice.

> And as a result you're likely feeling air in the system...

Why is this? I just changed my front pads and will be doing my rear
pads in the near future. My brakes don't feel bad at all. Changing the
pads and rotors should not have any effect on air in the system, should it?

--
Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything. 14% of people
know that.
Old April 24th 06, 10:56 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

In article >, Voinin wrote:
>daytripper wrote:
>> On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 19:23:13 GMT, Franz Fripplfrappl > wrote:
>>
>>> I just changed front and back pads and rotors. Brakes seem "soft".
>>>
>>> What might cause this? Do new pads/rotors need time to adjust? Oil on
>>> pads or rotors?
>>>
>>> I did not bleed brake fluid this time.
>>>
>>> Thanks for advice.

>> And as a result you're likely feeling air in the system...

>Why is this? I just changed my front pads and will be doing my rear
>pads in the near future. My brakes don't feel bad at all. Changing the
>pads and rotors should not have any effect on air in the system, should it?

Of course not! It's not the hydraulic system that's opened.

To the OP: Yes, it takes a few tens or hundreds of kilometers for the pads
to seat properly. Nothing to be worried about, just mind that the braking
distances will be slightly longer.

--
/"\ Jan Kalin (male, preferred languages: Slovene, English)
\ / http://charm.zag.si/eng/, email: "name dot surname AT zag dot si"