Why do vents default to outside air?

Old September 23rd 04, 03:53 PM
ravelation

(E.=A0Meyer)
wrote:

>1. Start in recirc and then switch to fresh
>after temp stabilization.

>I would be willing to bet that number one
>will win, and is, in fact, the
>recommended procedure in every
>owner's manual I have seen in the past
>15 years or more.

I agree and feel the reasoning is you get much more air flow in recirc
than you do in fresh air mode. It's like turning your amp to 11 instead
of 10.

Old September 23rd 04, 06:04 PM
Dick

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:45:09 GMT, "E. Meyer" >
wrote:

>I don't see why there should be a "camp". Get out your thermometer and a
>stop watch and try it both ways.
>
>I would be willing to bet that number one will win, and is, in fact, the
>recommended procedure in every owner's manual I have seen in the past 15
>years or more.

That's how our '93 Accord EX does it automatically. Starts in
recirculate, then switches to fresh. Obviously the Honda engineers
believe that is the fastest way to cool the car down. Of course it
depends upon the actual temperature as to how the automatic system
operates.
Old September 23rd 04, 08:51 PM
Jason

In article >, Jeff
> wrote:

> Just wondering--whenever I use the AC, my Accord keeps defaulting to
> outside air (as do most newer vehicles, I've noticed). I drive mostly
> in traffic and don't like to breathe exhaust fumes filling the car, so
> I'm continually resetting it to recirc. But I'm curious as to why
> outside air is the default setting. (?)
>
> 2000 Accord v6 sedan
>
> Jeff

I don't believe that it is suppose to work that way. It does NOT work that
way on my 1999 Honda Accord. You either have something wrong with your
system or you are not setting the controls correctly. It's my guess that
you don't bother turning on the air conditioner after starting your
vehicle. Try this experiment for a week:
After you start your Accord, turn the heat control to the max. setting.
Push the Recir button. It does not matter which vent button you press. I
almost forgot to tell you to press the AC button.
After you do this experiment for a week, repost and let us know the results.

I usually leave my air conditioner set this way all of the time during the
summer months.

--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
We do NOT respect the subscribers that enjoy criticizing people.

Old September 24th 04, 06:12 AM
Randolph

MAT wrote:

> Bah, this is still unclear to me with no concensus on the best method. It
> is agreed that opening/cracking the windows when first driving will evacuate
> the heated air, but afterwards there are 2 camps.
>
> 1. Start in recirc and then switch to fresh after temp stabilization.
> 2. Start in fresh and then switch to recirc.
>
> I think 2 is more intuitive and that's what I do!

Disregarding for a the moment the fact that the specific heat capacity
of air depends on humidity, I would say common sense tells us that for
most efficient cooling, you want the coolest possible air entering the
evaporator. So, if your car has been sitting in the sun, start with
"fresh" until the inside air is at the same temperature as the outside
air. Then switch to "recirc" until it gets comfortably cool inside. From
this point on, keeping it in "recirc" will give you the best fuel
economy, but unless it is hot enough that the A/C can't keep up, putting
it in "fresh" is an option after a large refried bean lunch.
Old September 24th 04, 12:57 PM
Dave Kelsen

On 9/23/2004 10:52 AM Elmo P. Shagnasty spake these words of knowledge:

> In article >,
> "E. Meyer" > wrote:
>
>> > 1. Start in recirc and then switch to fresh after temp stabilization.
>> > 2. Start in fresh and then switch to recirc.
>> >
>> > I think 2 is more intuitive and that's what I do!
>> >

>> I don't see why there should be a "camp". Get out your thermometer and a
>> stop watch and try it both ways.
>>
>> I would be willing to bet that number one will win, and is, in fact, the
>> recommended procedure in every owner's manual I have seen in the past 15
>> years or more.

> It is not the recommended procedure in any owner's manual I've seen in
> the last 15 years, and I will take your bet.

You don't read much, apparently. Or you have misread what was said
above. Look again.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
I just got slapped with my seventh sexual harassment suit this year.
Man, I tell ya, the broads in my office -- great racks, no sense of humor.
Old September 24th 04, 01:59 PM
E. Meyer

On 9/24/04 12:12 AM, in article , "Randolph"
> wrote:

> MAT wrote:
>>
>> Bah, this is still unclear to me with no concensus on the best method. It
>> is agreed that opening/cracking the windows when first driving will evacuate
>> the heated air, but afterwards there are 2 camps.
>>
>> 1. Start in recirc and then switch to fresh after temp stabilization.
>> 2. Start in fresh and then switch to recirc.
>>
>> I think 2 is more intuitive and that's what I do!

> Disregarding for a the moment the fact that the specific heat capacity
> of air depends on humidity, I would say common sense tells us that for
> most efficient cooling, you want the coolest possible air entering the
> evaporator.

.... and it takes about 15 seconds to completely replace the hot air near the
recirc inlet (which by convection is already the coolest air in the car)
with chilled air from the AC outlets being sucked down to it.

> So, if your car has been sitting in the sun, start with
> "fresh" until the inside air is at the same temperature as the outside
> air. Then switch to "recirc" until it gets comfortably cool inside. From
> this point on, keeping it in "recirc" will give you the best fuel
> economy,

Say what? It takes less gas to have the AC in recirc mode vs. fresh air
mode? I'd like to see the data that supports this assertion.

Old September 24th 04, 03:26 PM
E. Meyer

On 9/24/04 6:57 AM, in article
, "Dave Kelsen"
> wrote:

> On 9/23/2004 10:52 AM Elmo P. Shagnasty spake these words of knowledge:

>>> I don't see why there should be a "camp". Get out your thermometer and a
>>> stop watch and try it both ways.
>>>
>>> I would be willing to bet that number one will win, and is, in fact, the
>>> recommended procedure in every owner's manual I have seen in the past 15
>>> years or more.

>> It is not the recommended procedure in any owner's manual I've seen in
>> the last 15 years, and I will take your bet.

> You don't read much, apparently. Or you have misread what was said
> above. Look again.
>

> RFT!!!
> Dave Kelsen

What does "RFT!!!" mean?

Well, I double checked the manuals for the 15 years of cars my immediate
family currently uses. The '91 240SX, '96 I30, '96 Odyssey, '97 I30t, '98
Maxima, and '02 Pathfinder all say what I said they say.

The '00 TL manual doesn't address it. That book says "The system
automatically selects the proper mix of conditioned and/or heated air that
will, as quickly as possible, raise or lower the interior temperature from
its current level to the set temperature." In practice, that car always
turns on recirc mode when it first engages on a hot day.

So, pal - which books are you reading? I don't doubt that there will be
differences from one car's manual to another, but I didn't misread anything.

Another interesting side-light - the mid-'90s Nissans with automatic systems
(the two I30s) ignore the recirc button when they are in automatic mode and
you select a temperature at least 10-15 degrees below ambient (which is most
of the time here in Texas). They go into recirc and you can't switch it
off. The light goes on and off when you push the button, but nothing
changes.

Old September 25th 04, 10:52 AM
Dave Kelsen

On 9/24/2004 9:26 AM E. Meyer spake these words of knowledge:

> On 9/24/04 6:57 AM, in article
> , "Dave Kelsen"
> > wrote:
>
>> On 9/23/2004 10:52 AM Elmo P. Shagnasty spake these words of knowledge:

>>> It is not the recommended procedure in any owner's manual I've seen in
>>> the last 15 years, and I will take your bet.

>> You don't read much, apparently. Or you have misread what was said
>> above. Look again.
>>

>> RFT!!!
>> Dave Kelsen

> What does "RFT!!!" mean?

It means "Roll Tide" (the teams of the athletic department of the
University of Alabama).

> Well, I double checked the manuals for the 15 years of cars my immediate
> family currently uses. The '91 240SX, '96 I30, '96 Odyssey, '97 I30t, '98
> Maxima, and '02 Pathfinder all say what I said they say.

Yes. Well, if you look at the message I typed, I was responding to
Elmo. He has some unusual ideas at times, but he's not an idiot, so I
figured that perhaps he had misread your message and thought that you
were saying the opposite of what you were actually saying. Sorta like
you just thought about my message.

I agree with you, and so do the manuals of my automobiles.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
"Do nothing secretly; for Time sees and hears all things, and discloses
all." -- Sophocles