Theft: How do you minimize break ins?

Old November 19th 04, 01:53 AM
Me

I used to have some experience in the type of person you are describing,
so I will try to let you know what that person is thinking.

"Majiin Will" > wrote in message
om...
> I have 91 Accord with JVC Kameleon and Speakers. No alarm or no
> keyless entry. I live in an Apartment complex. My radio has been
> stolen once, the glass was just smashed in.
>
> Any tricks you've used?
>
> The two tips I've seen are also be a red flag at the same time. Rather
> paradoxical:
>
> 1) Parking in a lit visible area. = Thief won't risk getting caught
> vs. Thief will notice what you have even better.

To be honest, the well lit parking area tends to work well provided it is
well within sight of several apartment units. A thief doesn't want to wonder
if someone may happen to look out of their window.

> 2) Flashing LED/Alarm = Discourages thief = Encourages thief who
> wonders what you're protecting.

Your average thief may just pass up a car that he believes has an alarm. But
you have to actually have the alarm AND monitor it. If the alarm goes off
every few days from someone palming the car and you become complacent about
these "false alarms" you'll probably get hit.

> 3) Tinted windows = Low visibility = hiding something.

Tinted windows will help deter a thief if you use it in combination with the
well lit parking. A thief doesn't want to be seen peering into the car
trying to see if it's worth it.

> For those of you in Apartment complexes, where do you park your cars?

Park the car as close as you can to your own unit. I'd also recommend
installing a pin lock in the apartment window closest to your car and
leaving it open (and pinned) a half inch or so. Increases the chances of
hearing something amiss.

> I just try to not park in corners, and to park in parking spots
> facing apartments in plain view. I park near lights, but not right
> under them. People must be really bold to be daring enough to still
> in plain daylight, or is it really not that hard?

Daring isn't really the proper term. If a thief believes he can get away
with a crime, he will commit one. The term is confident.

> I'm actually thinking that the best course of action is to
> psychologically just prepare msyelf and assume that it will happen
> again sooner or later. At this point in my career, I can only afford
> liability insurance, but hopefully in the future, I might just shelf
> out the cash for a $50 deductible comprehensive coverage, it just may
> be worth it for the peace of mind.

After saying all of the above, I'll qualify my opinion by stating that I
used to boost cars for a living. After spending 8 years as a "guest" of the
state of Texas, I decided it was no longer worth it. Since I've been out (10
+ years), I have had my own head unit, amp and box stolen in my own
driveway. I live in a small town in a middle - upper income family oriented
subdivision. My insurance didn't cover the theft (yes, I have full
coverage - including comprehensive) because when I upgraded the system, I
didn't get a rider on my insurance. The agent told me that had I done all of
the proper paperwork, it wouldn't have been a problem. They did pay me for
the cost of the factory head unit.
Your best bet to deter your average thief would be to utilize a
combination of the suggestions you have made above. You won't stop a skilled
or determined thief. I have actually stolen a '69 Camaro that had an alarm
and had a German Shepherd tied to it. On a side note, if anyone ever decides
to use a dog to protect their car - make sure the dog will attack someone
coming close. The dog in question walked up to me and then fell down (stun
gun). Most people tend to believe that the mere presence of a dog is a
deterrent. I own 4 dogs (2 labs and 2 golden retrievers) and while they may
sound ferocious, I doubt they'd actually attack someone. I chose not to have
my dogs trained because I live in a neighborhood where it wouldn't be out of
the ordinary for a neighbor child to kick a ball into my yard and run over
to get it.
FWIW, I don't have an alarm. I don't have tinted windows. I do have a
motion light by the driveway (but it's more for my convenience, since the
driveway is on the opposite end of the house from the bedrooms).I lock my
truck doors to discourage the punk kids who ransack cars for jollies these
days. But if someone wanted to break in - they would. I don't know about DC,
but here in South Louisiana, you can buy a slim jim at almost any flea
market or over the web.
Someone farther down this thread made a very valid point - if you don't
want to risk losing it, don't keep it in a car. It is your psychological
makeup that determines how you deal with it. I just decided that I'd take
the basic precautions (locking the doors and having my speakers in a
downfiring box, so they're not very prominent).I know from experience that I
can't stop a skilled thief, so I don't lose much sleep over it.
If you can afford it, I have seen car alarms that will actually
(somehow) determine when a person is within a certain proximity of the car
and emit a warning (the one that scared the sh*t out of me was at a club I
was going to. When I walked by, it said "stand back from this vehicle". It
was around midnight and the lot was full. I was just walking by and the
thing started talking. I don't know what it was nor did I try to find out.
Like I said, my past is just that - my past.
Hopefully, this will shed a little light on what you're wanting to know.

Me

Old November 19th 04, 01:53 AM
Me

Old November 19th 04, 09:55 PM
Dark1

I've found my solution is simply stealth..
I don't jam near my house, I don't open my trunk at home, I don't have an
alarm so the neighbors don't hear chirp chirp when I get in..
as far as the neighborhood is concerned, nothing is there..
I've even had my window broken, and my cigarettes stolen.. that's all ..
nice alpine in the dash and a couple grand in the trunk, they take
cigarettes (even had the key in the ignition..lol).. if noone can see it,
hear it, have any reason to think anything is there, noone will steal it.

Old November 19th 04, 09:55 PM
Dark1

Old November 21st 04, 12:52 AM
Terry

(Majiin Will) wrote in message . com>...
> I have 91 Accord with JVC Kameleon and Speakers. No alarm or no
> keyless entry. I live in an Apartment complex. My radio has been
> stolen once, the glass was just smashed in.
>
> Any tricks you've used?
>
> The two tips I've seen are also be a red flag at the same time. Rather
> paradoxical:
>
> 1) Parking in a lit visible area. = Thief won't risk getting caught
> vs. Thief will notice what you have even better.
>
> 2) Flashing LED/Alarm = Discourages thief = Encourages thief who
> wonders what you're protecting.
>
> 3) Tinted windows = Low visibility = hiding something.
>
> For those of you in Apartment complexes, where do you park your cars?
>
> I just try to not park in corners, and to park in parking spots
> facing apartments in plain view. I park near lights, but not right
> under them. People must be really bold to be daring enough to still
> in plain daylight, or is it really not that hard?
>
> I'm actually thinking that the best course of action is to
> psychologically just prepare msyelf and assume that it will happen
> again sooner or later. At this point in my career, I can only afford
> liability insurance, but hopefully in the future, I might just shelf
> out the cash for a $50 deductible comprehensive coverage, it just may
> be worth it for the peace of mind.

I drive a 1991 Civc and have nothing worth stealing in the car.
No radar detector, after all it is a 1991 Civic. No cell phone.
No alarm system.
I don't even have a radio in the beast.

Everyone in my neighborhood knows I am a cheap tightwad, who else
would be driving a 1991 Civic?
Before that I drove a 1985 Celica into the ground. IF you don't have
$1000 stereo in a $500 car your chances of getting hit are minimal.
Of course the fact that I mounted flashing LEDs in the dash, and
above each door lock (both side doors, and the hatchback) might help.
An time the ignition if off, the LEDs flash.
IF I was going to go with an alarm I would add a wireless link so that
I would know when the alarm tripped. Then I would consider checking out
what was happening with a 12ga or baseball bat.
Terry
Old November 21st 04, 12:52 AM
Terry

Old November 23rd 04, 04:01 AM
Brett

12 ga probably better idea considering you don't know what they are likely
to be carrying

m...

Old November 23rd 04, 04:01 AM
Brett

12 ga probably better idea considering you don't know what they are likely
to be carrying

m...

Old November 23rd 04, 05:01 AM
Me

The only problem with carrying anything is that you'll probably either get
it taken from you if you aren't prepared to use it or you will end up in
prison if you do use it. Either way, it won't help you keep your stuff.

Me

u...

Old November 23rd 04, 05:01 AM
Me

The only problem with carrying anything is that you'll probably either get
it taken from you if you aren't prepared to use it or you will end up in
prison if you do use it. Either way, it won't help you keep your stuff.

Me

u...

Break Light Circuit message Dara BMW 5 November 29th 04 06:03 PM
98 Caravan instrument panel parking break light Yeasereno Dodge 4 August 2nd 04 03:36 AM