Redline MTL in Honda tranny.

Old November 30th 04, 03:40 AM
Randolph

Default Redline MTL in Honda tranny.

My transmission is getting a little harsh when shifting into 2nd,
particularly when cold. A friend with a VW says that his old tranny
(180k miles) shift a lot better after he put Redline MTL in it.

Somewhere I believe I have heard or read that people have experienced
premature failure of the transmission seals after putting in Redline
MTL. Is there something to this, or is this something I have dreamt?
Old November 30th 04, 04:31 AM
jim beam

Randolph wrote:
> My transmission is getting a little harsh when shifting into 2nd,
> particularly when cold. A friend with a VW says that his old tranny
> (180k miles) shift a lot better after he put Redline MTL in it.
>
> Somewhere I believe I have heard or read that people have experienced
> premature failure of the transmission seals after putting in Redline
> MTL. Is there something to this, or is this something I have dreamt?

_only_ use honda z1 atf in a honda automatic transmission. they use
different clutch mechanisms to any other type of automatic and they need
a specialized fluid accordingly.

Old November 30th 04, 04:31 AM
jim beam

Old November 30th 04, 04:41 AM
Curtis Newton

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 03:40:01 GMT, Randolph > wrote:

>My transmission is getting a little harsh when shifting into 2nd,
>particularly when cold. A friend with a VW says that his old tranny
>(180k miles) shift a lot better after he put Redline MTL in it.
>
>Somewhere I believe I have heard or read that people have experienced
>premature failure of the transmission seals after putting in Redline
>MTL. Is there something to this, or is this something I have dreamt?

I have read/heard that also....believe the Honda fluid is best for the
synchros.

However, I ran Redline MTL in my 5 speed Acura Integra and when I
traded the car with close to 90,000 miles, it was still shifting
smooth as can be. Perhaps I was lucky, perhaps it takes longer for
the problems to crop up; I don't know.

If in doubt, change your manual tranny fluid to Honda MTL and see if
that clears things up.

Old November 30th 04, 04:41 AM
Curtis Newton

Old November 30th 04, 04:42 AM
Randolph

I forgot to state that the transmission a a manual 5-speed. Kind of
important. isn't it?

Old November 30th 04, 04:42 AM
Randolph

Old November 30th 04, 05:01 AM
jim beam

Randolph wrote:
> I forgot to state that the transmission a a manual 5-speed. Kind of
> important. isn't it?
>
> jim beam wrote:
>
>>Randolph wrote:
>>
>>>My transmission is getting a little harsh when shifting into 2nd,
>>>particularly when cold. A friend with a VW says that his old tranny
>>>(180k miles) shift a lot better after he put Redline MTL in it.
>>>
>>>Somewhere I believe I have heard or read that people have experienced
>>>premature failure of the transmission seals after putting in Redline
>>>MTL. Is there something to this, or is this something I have dreamt?

>>_only_ use honda z1 atf in a honda automatic transmission. they use
>>different clutch mechanisms to any other type of automatic and they need
>>a specialized fluid accordingly.

kinda.

Old November 30th 04, 05:01 AM
jim beam

Old November 30th 04, 05:52 AM
motsco_ _

Randolph wrote:
> I forgot to state that the transmission a a manual 5-speed. Kind of
> important. isn't it?

Mentioning your mileage is a helpful idea too. Your old tranny lube may
just be exhausted. (or some clown already put non-honda stuff in it)Put
in Honda MTF and see. It's not like you're buying five gallons :-)

'Curly'