Redline MTL in Honda tranny.

Old December 1st 04, 06:35 PM
Randolph

Mista Bone wrote:

> Don't do it. Use the Honda MTL or Pennzoil Synchromesh.
>
> What tranny you have? A VW?

'94 Civic Si 5 speed. Any particular reason you are adamant about not
using Redline MTL?
Old December 1st 04, 10:32 PM
Abeness

Randolph wrote:

> Mista Bone wrote:
>
>>Don't do it. Use the Honda MTL or Pennzoil Synchromesh.
>>
>>What tranny you have? A VW?

> '94 Civic Si 5 speed. Any particular reason you are adamant about not
> using Redline MTL?

I'm interested in this issue myself. The manual specifies ordinary
10w-30 or 10w-40. What's the need for Honda MTL? I recently bought
10w-30 (thinner for winter) for my 94 Civic EX and was planning to
change it soon, since I doubt the prev owner ever did it.

Lowest winter temps here are maybe 0 F. At about 30 last night and not
having driven it in a week, it was a tad difficult to get it into first.
116K miles. I'll probably give the regular oil a shot and see how it
goes. If the **** that's in there now is ancient, as I suspect after
seeing the brake fluid, I expect I'll see improvement.
Old December 1st 04, 10:32 PM
Abeness

Old December 1st 04, 10:44 PM
motsco_ _

Abeness wrote:
> Randolph wrote:
>
>> Mista Bone wrote:
>>
>>> Don't do it. Use the Honda MTL or Pennzoil Synchromesh.
>>>
>>> What tranny you have? A VW?

>> '94 Civic Si 5 speed. Any particular reason you are adamant about not
>> using Redline MTL?

> I'm interested in this issue myself. The manual specifies ordinary
> 10w-30 or 10w-40. What's the need for Honda MTL? I recently bought
> 10w-30 (thinner for winter) for my 94 Civic EX and was planning to
> change it soon, since I doubt the prev owner ever did it.
>
> Lowest winter temps here are maybe 0 F. At about 30 last night and not
> having driven it in a week, it was a tad difficult to get it into first.
> 116K miles. I'll probably give the regular oil a shot and see how it
> goes. If the **** that's in there now is ancient, as I suspect after
> seeing the brake fluid, I expect I'll see improvement.

========================

The manual you're quoting is NINE years old . . .The petroleum industry
(and Honda) have come up with a lot of better ideas since then. They
wouldn't be recommending anything that would be a step backwards, I'm
sure.:-)

'Curly'

Old December 1st 04, 10:44 PM
motsco_ _

Old December 2nd 04, 01:05 AM
Abeness

motsco_ _ wrote:
> The manual you're quoting is NINE years old . . .The petroleum industry
> (and Honda) have come up with a lot of better ideas since then. They
> wouldn't be recommending anything that would be a step backwards, I'm
> sure.:-)

True enough. I suppose the question is, however, whether what the manual
recommends is sufficient. Obviously it was, at the time.
Old December 2nd 04, 03:05 AM
SoCalMike

Abeness wrote:

> Randolph wrote:
>
>> Mista Bone wrote:
>>
>>> Don't do it. Use the Honda MTL or Pennzoil Synchromesh.
>>>
>>> What tranny you have? A VW?

>> '94 Civic Si 5 speed. Any particular reason you are adamant about not
>> using Redline MTL?

> I'm interested in this issue myself. The manual specifies ordinary
> 10w-30 or 10w-40. What's the need for Honda MTL? I recently bought
> 10w-30 (thinner for winter) for my 94 Civic EX and was planning to
> change it soon, since I doubt the prev owner ever did it.

i wonder if a regular mobil1 synth would work.

> Lowest winter temps here are maybe 0 F. At about 30 last night and not
> having driven it in a week, it was a tad difficult to get it into first.
> 116K miles. I'll probably give the regular oil a shot and see how it
> goes. If the **** that's in there now is ancient, as I suspect after
> seeing the brake fluid, I expect I'll see improvement.

hopefully. i replaced the tranny fluid on an old MG midget w/ 4speed
manual and it made a pretty big difference. lost all its notchiness.

and that was just replacing with the recommended 75/80wt gear oil.
Old December 2nd 04, 03:06 AM
SoCalMike

motsco_ _ wrote:

> Abeness wrote:
>
>> Randolph wrote:

>>> '94 Civic Si 5 speed. Any particular reason you are adamant about not
>>> using Redline MTL?

>> I'm interested in this issue myself. The manual specifies ordinary
>> 10w-30 or 10w-40. What's the need for Honda MTL? I recently bought
>> 10w-30 (thinner for winter) for my 94 Civic EX and was planning to
>> change it soon, since I doubt the prev owner ever did it.
>>
>> Lowest winter temps here are maybe 0 F. At about 30 last night and not
>> having driven it in a week, it was a tad difficult to get it into
>> first. 116K miles. I'll probably give the regular oil a shot and see
>> how it goes. If the **** that's in there now is ancient, as I suspect
>> after seeing the brake fluid, I expect I'll see improvement.

> ========================
>
> The manual you're quoting is NINE years old . . .The petroleum industry
> (and Honda) have come up with a lot of better ideas since then. They
> wouldn't be recommending anything that would be a step backwards, I'm
> sure.:-)

might some of the newer stuff actually be *too* good? as in too
slippery, etc?
Old December 2nd 04, 03:20 AM
Randolph

SoCalMike wrote:

> > The manual you're quoting is NINE years old . . .The petroleum industry
> > (and Honda) have come up with a lot of better ideas since then. They
> > wouldn't be recommending anything that would be a step backwards, I'm
> > sure.:-)

> might some of the newer stuff actually be *too* good? as in too
> slippery, etc?

Using a synthetic motor oil in the transmission is a problem because it
is too slippery. The synthetic transmission fluids are formulated to
give appropriate friction for synchronizers etc.
Old December 2nd 04, 04:30 AM
Abeness

SoCalMike wrote:
> might some of the newer stuff actually be *too* good? as in too
> slippery, etc?

How could it be too slippery? Once the gears are engaged, they ain't
gonna slip away from each other. Seems like it could only be an improvement.