lots o crankin before starting

Old August 30th 07, 04:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jerry[_2_]

Default lots o crankin before starting

I've got a 99 XLT with 4.0L SOHC engine with 137K miles. For quite some
time now it takes several seconds or more of cranking before the engine
starts. When it does starts it sometimes stumbles until I press the gas
pedal once or twice. After that it idles and runs fine. The cranking is
fast, not slow like with a battery that's going bad. It doesn't seem to
matter whether the engine hot or cold (at least as cold as it can get
here in Phoenix).

Since the problem started I've replaced the battery (which WAS going
bad) and the plugs and wires. No change. Any suggestions on where to
look next?
Old August 30th 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Esteban

"Jerry" > wrote in message
> I've got a 99 XLT with 4.0L SOHC engine with 137K miles. For quite some
> time now it takes several seconds or more of cranking before the engine
> starts. When it does starts it sometimes stumbles until I press the gas
> pedal once or twice. After that it idles and runs fine. The cranking is
> fast, not slow like with a battery that's going bad. It doesn't seem to
> matter whether the engine hot or cold (at least as cold as it can get here
> in Phoenix).
>
> Since the problem started I've replaced the battery (which WAS going bad)
> and the plugs and wires. No change. Any suggestions on where to look
> next?

Hi Jerry, take a look at this link and see if your IAC could be your
problem.
Steve

http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/i...r_IAC_Fix.html

Old August 31st 07, 06:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jerry[_2_]

Esteban wrote:
> "Jerry" > wrote in message
>> I've got a 99 XLT with 4.0L SOHC engine with 137K miles. For quite some
>> time now it takes several seconds or more of cranking before the engine
>> starts. When it does starts it sometimes stumbles until I press the gas
>> pedal once or twice. After that it idles and runs fine. The cranking is
>> fast, not slow like with a battery that's going bad. It doesn't seem to
>> matter whether the engine hot or cold (at least as cold as it can get here
>> in Phoenix).
>>
>> Since the problem started I've replaced the battery (which WAS going bad)
>> and the plugs and wires. No change. Any suggestions on where to look
>> next?

> Hi Jerry, take a look at this link and see if your IAC could be your
> problem.
> Steve
>
> http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/i...r_IAC_Fix.html

Thanks for the pointer. It doesn't really describe my problem, though.
Mine always starts. Sometimes it idles fine immediately and sometimes
it's rough until I press the gas pedal once or twice. After that it
idles and runs fine until the next start.
Old August 31st 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
C. E. White[_1_]

It sounds to me like you have a leak in your fuel system or bad check
valve in the fuel pump. Try this:

Before you actually engage the starter, switch the truck from off to
run about 5 times, pausing at run for a couple of seconds each time.
If the truck then starts fine, most likely you have a fuel system
problem - I'd bet on the check valve in the fuel pump. If you get a
lot of black smoke when the vehicle first starts, then I'd guess you
have a leaky injector. A mechanic with a fuel pressure gauge can
diagnosis this problem in two minutes.

Ed

Old August 31st 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jerry[_2_]

I think you hit it. I followed your on/off/on/off... procedure and it
started right up, no visible smoke. So it sounds like the check valve.

How hard is it to change and where is it located?

Old August 31st 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
AS

When was the last time you replaced the fuel filter?

Old August 31st 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
SF

Probably not a bad fuel filter, since doing what C.E. White posted seemed to
cure the problem. I agree with C.E. White that the fuel pump is most likely
the problem. I would take a fuel pressure reading after car sits overnight,
and another one after it starts. If fuel pressure is low or zero before
starting and ok while it runs, look for a bad fuel pump check valve. A bad
fuel filter in my experience usually causes a high speed miss, not a no
start situation. I suppose a completely clogged fuel filter would cause a
no start situation, but I have never seen it and you would have the high
speed miss well before that happens.
I am not sure if you have to drop the tank to change or access the fuel
pump, but I think so. Not an impossible job for a do it yourselfer, but
kind of a pain in the ass. Strongly suggest taking it to a mechanic for a
fuel pressure check (or buy a fuel pressure gauge) and if vechile needs new
pump, let mechanic do it. It is so much easier if you can get the car on a
lift is main reason I say this.
SF

Old August 31st 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jerry[_2_]

I was just thinking about that. I believe the answer is- never.

Old August 31st 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jerry[_2_]

I think taking it in is probably the best idea:
1. he can diagnose for sure if it's a pressure problem. If not he will,
hopefully, be able to diagnose it.
2. any talk of removing the tank puts it out of my comfort zone
3. he can change the fuel filter at the same time as it's probably time

Thanks for the input.

Old September 1st 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ed White[_2_]

"Jerry" > wrote in message
>I think you hit it. I followed your on/off/on/off... procedure and it
>started right up, no visible smoke. So it sounds like the check valve.
>
> How hard is it to change and where is it located?

It is part of the fuel pump. I am pretty sure you will have to drop the tank
to replace the pump. Check with a trusted mechanic or the Ford dealer.

Ed