'05 Accord Battery

Old January 14th 08, 02:11 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Dave L

Default '05 Accord Battery

"jim beam" > wrote in message
t...
> Dave L wrote:
>> "bbtaco" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>> "Brian Smith" > wrote in message

>>> We just had the battery replaced free by our dealer with only 19,000
>>> miles on our 2006 Accord. The car would start but seemed to turn over
>>> slower than usual. The indicator window on it did not show any color in
>>> it either. They tested it and I was told it was putting out much lower
>>> cranking amps than it should.

>> Yes, I'll make an appointment to the dealer. I just couldn't do it this
>> Monday and hopefully they'll have a day where they have later
>> appointments or a Saturday appointment when they can check this. The
>> Accord always seemed to turn over slightly slower than my previous cars
>> even when it was new. It was nothing major, and even now it's the same.
>> This happens when I let it sit overnight or after work.
>>
>> My only concern is if they say nothing is actually wrong with it and the
>> battery is just getting old at 2-1/2 years old!
>>

> you don't say where you live - if it's phoenix, that battery life will not
> be unusual.

Sorry - I'm in Maryland.
-Dave

Old January 14th 08, 02:16 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Dave L

I used to go with the Sears Diehard batteries too. You're right, the cost
of a battery is cheap compared to the cost of a new vehicle. I would never
think of getting a new vehicle when only a battery is needed! Besides, it
only has 33k miles and 2-1/2 years old. Still "new" to me.

I'd still rather let warranty handle it if the dealership deems it needs
replacing!

Thanks,
-Dave

Old January 14th 08, 02:22 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Dave L

"Howard" <howardh1951-at-hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Dave L" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>I have an '05 Accord LX manual purchased in August '05, with almost 34k
>>miles on it. When I checked the battery today the status indicator was
>>clear and not green. I've never had the battery drain and need a jump
>>start before. I called the dealer to inquire today and was told if it
>>went bad, they would cover for up to 3 years (the new car warranty). They
>>said I could bring it in on Monday to test the battery, but I won't have
>>time.

> Your dealer should have a very good tester for your battery. It is
> mandatory for him to have. It is a unit automatically sent to all
> dealerships and takes about two minutes to do a test on the battery. Ask
> to see the printout which prints from the tester and is just like a credit
> card receipt. The test is either good or replace/pass or fail. So there is
> no "let;s wait and see what happens" scenario.
>
>> Isn't this a little premature for a battery to start going bad?

> As others have mentioned it depends on where you live. Extremes in
> temperature take a toll on a batterys life.

In Maryland, so I get the hot weather along with snow in the winters.
Still - seems premature compared to other cars & batteries, including
people I know. We'll see!

>>What is recommended if I decide to replace it? I used to always go Die
>>Hard Gold for replacements but not sure if they're still the best or one
>>of the better ones. Any ideas or suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Dave

> The Honda battery is manufactured by Interstate Battery to Honda
> specifications. The MSRP is $92.94. It has one of the best warranties in
> the business. It is a 100 month warranty battery. It is replaced at no
> charge in the first 36 months for free if it fails and is prorated for the
> balance of the 100 months. That is the case if you buy it. Keep in mind
> that if your dealer replaces your batttery the replacement you get will
> only be covered for the balance of your new car 3 year/36,000mile
> warranty.
> If you are a customer with the dealer you may have some influence in
> negotiating a fair price to buy one and gain that 100 month warranty. The
> incentive to the dealer is that you may give him a few more dollars than
> he would be paid by Honda for the warranty, which is only about $15 less
> than MSRP. If you've never been back for any maintenance, don't expect any
> more than getting the warranty handled.
>
> Howard

I used to take my old car to this dealership all the time. It was much
older so it needed more work! However, not much is needed for this car yet.
Also often take it to a guy now who is a Honda mechanic but does work on the
side.

Normally don't like going to a dealer for a battery when I can get it done
much cheaper than a dealership. But I know a good working relationship with
a dealer is a good thing to have...
-Dave

Old January 14th 08, 02:22 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Dave L

Default Correction: '05 Accord Battery

"Howard" <howardh1951-at-hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> That is the case if you buy it. Keep in mind that if your dealer replaces
>> your batttery the replacement you get will only be covered for the
>> balance of your new car 3 year/36,000mile warranty.

> WRONG! I apologize. What I wrote is true for most any warranty replaced
> part EXCEPT batteries.
> Honda Replacement Part batteries used under the New Car Limited Warranty
> are covered by the Honda Genuine Replacement Battery Warranty
> (100-months).

I wish the original Honda battery was good for 100 months!
-Dave

Old January 14th 08, 02:51 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Jeff[_3_]

Dave L wrote:
> I have an '05 Accord LX manual purchased in August '05, with almost 34k
> miles on it. When I checked the battery today the status indicator was
> clear and not green. I've never had the battery drain and need a jump start
> before. I called the dealer to inquire today and was told if it went bad,
> they would cover for up to 3 years (the new car warranty). They said I
> could bring it in on Monday to test the battery, but I won't have time.

I'd go to the dealer and have them test it. If it is really bad (or, the
charging system), they'll tell you. Sounds like you have about a month
and a half. I bet you can arrange a time before the warranty expires.

Jeff

Old January 14th 08, 02:52 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Jeff[_3_]

Dave L wrote:
> "jim beam" > wrote in message
> t...
>> Dave L wrote:
>>> "bbtaco" > wrote in message
>>> . ..

>>> Yes, I'll make an appointment to the dealer. I just couldn't do it this
>>> Monday and hopefully they'll have a day where they have later
>>> appointments or a Saturday appointment when they can check this. The
>>> Accord always seemed to turn over slightly slower than my previous cars
>>> even when it was new. It was nothing major, and even now it's the same.
>>> This happens when I let it sit overnight or after work.
>>>
>>> My only concern is if they say nothing is actually wrong with it and the
>>> battery is just getting old at 2-1/2 years old!
>>>

>> you don't say where you live - if it's phoenix, that battery life will not
>> be unusual.

> Sorry - I'm in Maryland.

Don't be sorry. It could be worse, like Long Island or Washington, DC.

Jeff

Old January 14th 08, 02:56 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Jeff[_3_]

Howard wrote:
>> That is the case if you buy it. Keep in mind that if your dealer
>> replaces your batttery the replacement you get will only be covered
>> for the balance of your new car 3 year/36,000mile warranty.

> WRONG! I apologize. What I wrote is true for most any warranty replaced
> part EXCEPT batteries.
> Honda Replacement Part batteries used under the New Car Limited Warranty
> are covered by the Honda Genuine Replacement Battery Warranty (100-months).

Most replacement batteries are total covered for a time (like 3 years)
and are prorated after that (so if it fails after say 50 months, you
have to pay 1/2). 100 months for a battery is still a long time: over 8
years.
Old January 14th 08, 03:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dick[_1_]

Absolutely. I was only trying to point out what the indicator means
when it is clear. Don't let the dealer tell you there is nothing
wrong.

Dick

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 21:16:33 -0500, "Dave L"
> wrote:

>I used to go with the Sears Diehard batteries too. You're right, the cost
>of a battery is cheap compared to the cost of a new vehicle. I would never
>think of getting a new vehicle when only a battery is needed! Besides, it
>only has 33k miles and 2-1/2 years old. Still "new" to me.
>
>I'd still rather let warranty handle it if the dealership deems it needs
>replacing!
>
>Thanks,
>-Dave

.. .

Old January 14th 08, 03:41 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
DJ NoMore

Dave L wrote:
> I have an '05 Accord LX manual purchased in August '05, with almost 34k
> miles on it. When I checked the battery today the status indicator was
> clear and not green. I've never had the battery drain and need a jump start
> before. I called the dealer to inquire today and was told if it went bad,
> they would cover for up to 3 years (the new car warranty). They said I
> could bring it in on Monday to test the battery, but I won't have time.
>
> Isn't this a little premature for a battery to start going bad? What is
> recommended if I decide to replace it? I used to always go Die Hard Gold
> for replacements but not sure if they're still the best or one of the better
> ones. Any ideas or suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> -Dave

I hate to break it to you, but when I purchased my 2007 Accord in
February, they had to replace the battery BEFORE I took delivery of the
car! Batteries go bad and some will last longer whereas others will die
a horrible death way sooner than the warranty.
Old January 14th 08, 07:22 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Bumpy

"Dave L" > wrote in message
. ..
>I have an '05 Accord LX manual purchased in August '05, with almost 34k
>miles on it. When I checked the battery today the status indicator was
>clear and not green. I've never had the battery drain and need a jump
>start before. I called the dealer to inquire today and was told if it went
>bad, they would cover for up to 3 years (the new car warranty). They said
>I could bring it in on Monday to test the battery, but I won't have time.
>
> Isn't this a little premature for a battery to start going bad? What is
> recommended if I decide to replace it? I used to always go Die Hard Gold
> for replacements but not sure if they're still the best or one of the
> better ones. Any ideas or suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> -Dave

Be Careful! Had the same trouble with my 98 Accord, which I bought brand
new. I saw that the green wasn't showing, so I ran it up to the Honda
dealer.
Tech looked at it and said ,Aw ****, another one! I didn't like that
sound...he said
the positive post is leaking, and if I try to loosen it. the post will break
out, and acid
will spill out, into the engine area. They emptied the battery, and sure
enough, the post
twisted off! They replaced it with a Interstate battery. The original
battery was a GM
Freedom battery. I Googled ,it and found out that they had trouble with
them, at tht time.

1990 Accord bad battery...altenator? Saus Honda 1 January 3rd 07 04:45 PM
2003 Accord Battery Problem...anyone else ? noydb Honda 4 August 16th 05 05:26 PM
repl battery for accord lx 01 ap Honda 5 July 27th 05 03:53 PM
repl battery for accord lx 01 ap Honda 0 July 25th 05 03:45 PM
Messed up 92 Accord Battery All2sober Honda 2 February 13th 05 07:21 AM